The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Backpacking in the Wind Rivers: Planning, Decisions and Other Musings

dchew

Thank Christian! The sunset image is a 2-image stitch. 90hr shifted 18mm each way, with slight post crops on each edge. Boy am I glad I brought the 90! I used it more than the 60xl.

This type of trip is great fun, but it can be a little frustrating at times for photography since we were always moving from place to place. There was little opportunity to 'go back when the light is right'. Except for the sunrises and sunsets, it really is a snapshot type of environment.

Because of that, I don't know if I would take both camera systems on a trip like this again. I would if I was hiking to a central place, then roaming around from a "base camp." 7/25 of the images above were taken with the Alpa (the sunrise image should have been taken with the Alpa, but the Sony was on the tripod and the light was changing fast while cooking breakfast). I brought the Sony basically because I could not figure out how to use the Alpa without taking off my pack. Although I do have a bigger Clik chest pouch, it was the thought of changing lenses with my pack on that stumped me, as well as losing the versatile ISO shooting that comes with the Sony. As it turned out, none of the above "snapshots" while hiking were taken with the Leica 90mm on the Sony; they were all with the 35mm. And most of the Sony images were shot at either 100 or 200 ISO - I think only three were above 200. So really I could have put the Alpa in the larger chest pouch with the 60xl attached and not brought the Sony. I would have added the sk150 though, because I really like that focal length.

Or, I could have just brought the Sony and a few more lenses. That probably makes the most logical sense. But as Tom predicted earlier in this thread, "One marvelous sunset or sunrise at camp and you'll be happy to have the Alpa." :)

Funny you say that about the area you live in. I live in Ohio; this was two plane flights away to Wyoming. I think you can hop on a train and get to the Alps faster! BTW, I will be in Vevey, Switzerland in early October if anyone wants to play in those hills :)

[Geoff - Sorry, my wife has to go on a business trip, and Switzerland trumped Silo City :( ]

Dave

jlm

Workshop Member
great stuff dave; i empathize completely. love the island lake shots and the dramatic weather shots

will get out next season myself in the Cascades of Oregon with the humble m4/3 oly.
What non-backpackers probably don't realize is how remote and self reliant these trips can get in just a day or two.
i've been hiking in the Mt. Jefferson wilderness since i was 17yrs old, not only is it a stunning place, but i still go back there some 53 yrs later and it has change hardly at all! where else can you find that sort of permanence? gives one some perspective, as does the backpacking experience

Ken_R

Awesome pics thx for posting! Even in the web size versions one can see the superiority of the IQ180 file! Some stunning shots in there. The area seems amazing and genuine natural treasure.

weinlamm

BTW, I will be in Vevey, Switzerland in early October if anyone wants to play in those hills :)

[Geoff - Sorry, my wife has to go on a business trip, and Switzerland trumped Silo City :( ]

Dave
Don't want to start a second theme in your thread.. But you know, that there are no Alps in Vevey...? But I think it's a nice place to have a trip while your wife is sitting in meetings... :D I had a wedding-shoot nearly 8 or 9 years ago in Montreux.

But to come back to your theme:
It was very interesting for me to see, that there are so much different kinds of rocks in a relative small area (grey, white, a little bit red, a little bit yellow, different forms, and so on... don't know the names, so I'm sorry only to describe...). This is different to here; here are mostly bigger areas of the same.
So nice to see. And thanks for your explanation of your picture.

dchew

Vevey to Chamonix is 1 hr, 23 min. For us here in drive-everywhere U.S., that's a trip to the grocery :)

You are very observant about the rocks. The granite there (and other types of rock) is amazing. This range is a geologist's playground! I will search my images for some rock detail.

Dave

tsjanik

.....But as Tom predicted earlier in this thread, "One marvelous sunset or sunrise at camp and you'll be happy to have the Alpa." :)...........

As the sun got low, clouds came in. It was iffy whether we would see any sunset, but in the end the clouds opened and I got lucky.

Day 7: All the way back
The next day we woke up to another light show.

.................Dave
I'll bet the evening shot, but I really like the am version too, there's a great sense of depth or dimensionality in the peaks. Thanks for posting these.

Tom

Shashin

Wow.

That must have been a great trip. Certainly amazing country. Thanks for sharing your beautiful work.

etrump

Incredible thread, thanks so much for the effort to post this. Images look fantastic as well.

:thumbs: