The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Using the Alpa Max reversed?

narikin

Just wondered people's experience of using the Alpa Max 'back to front'? That is: putting the lens and back on opposite sides to normal, to gain 25+18 cross shift, instead of 18+18, and accepting the maximum front rise will now be 18mm rather than 25mm.

It means loosing lens locked stitching, important for closer work, but less so for distant architecture, etc. In return, you gain about 7mm of cross movement, and a slightly longer frame ratio (which I like). A stitch goes from 90mm to 97mm effective sensor width (with an IQ180/160 series back). The loss of 7mm from front rise is only a problem for very high buildings and low vantage points. I would mostly do a 4-way stitch with the lens side at -5mm, and then at +18mm.

The bubble levels seem harder to read this way around, that's about all I can say negatively, beside the loss of lens locking. Am I missing anything else?

Last edited:
It's absolutely designed to be used any way you desire. If you buy short lenses you get other options to mount the adapters on the back or on the lens ... it's totally flexible.

narikin

It's absolutely designed to be used any way you desire. If you buy short lenses you get other options to mount the adapters on the back or on the lens ... it's totally flexible.
Thanks, well, yes and no. It can indeed be used whichever way around and whichever side up you want. but you loose lens locking (rear only movements) which I would hope Alpa can fix with a Mk3 Max. Be nice to be able to lock the lens when reversed. Regardless of that, it would be great if they can increase the rear cross shift by 5mm each end, at least. We really need that!

All my lenses are SB, so I'm happy with that. I almost wonder if the longest ones (say 120/150mm and up) should not be on a Super Short Barrel (SSB?) mount to prevent mechanical vignetting on those. Just an extra 17 or 34mm shorter than regular SB, and we can simply use 2 stacked adapters on rear. Gaining greater stitch potential.