Site Sponsors

Thread: hasselblad H back on a tech camera - options?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

hasselblad H back on a tech camera - options?

Dear All

I tried to get an answer to this question on the Luminous Landscape forum, but sadly not much from that source as yet.

I am considering what the best options might be for using my Hassy H5D 200MS back on a technical camera in the field (i.e. not the studio). I will need tilt, shift and some stitching capability.

I have tried and failed to grapple with the HTS 1.5. Therefore, disregard this a an option, because I will not use it.

Hasselblad have published their own paper on tech cam / digital lens compatibility, and I link their note (in PDF format) to this message.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ctivity-12.pdf

My requirements are

1. Minimum weight. This is for backpacking.

2. To use multishot, I appreciate i will have to shoot in to Phocus - which means carrying a lightweight laptop around with me. That is not an issue per se.

Any thoughts, or better still, actual user experience with a similar setup? What is the best solution? I am liaising with Hassy UK, where I am based.

I am familiar with all the obvious stuff; my concerns are to choose the right path - minimum weight, high quality, relevant movements, ease of use. Within reason, price is not an issue. I note Rodenstock and Schneider use different systems for their lenses to synchronise the digital back and lens. I am not familar with their latest generation digital LF lenses, so this is an area where input would be appreciated. Wide angle only.

Quentin
    Last edited by Quentin_Bargate; 1st September 2014 at 14:59.
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: hasselblad H back on a tech camera - options?

Good question
    Have you spoken to Paula at Linhof studio?
    Did you need tilt on both standards?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bab View Post
    Good question
    Have you spoken to Paula at Linhof studio?
    Did you need tilt on both standards?
    Linhof UK supply Silvestri kit and I have been looking at the Flexicam as one option. However it is not mentioned in the Hasselblad PDF. The Flexicam has an H back sliding panel which appealed for composition purposes.

Seems there is a fair amount of choice.

Front tilt/shift is fine.
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tried to pull down the PDF but it hangs will try later.

In my first response at Lula i thought you were asking for info on the various tech lenses available. These are all Digital Schneider or Rodenstock that I was referencing. I read the post as needing information on shift and tilt capabilities of the various Rod and Schneider Digital lenses.

I don't know enough as how your back will interface. However you referenced Tech camera so I assumed you were looking at selections from either Cambo Arca or Alpa all of which use the various lenses I mentioned. Cameras like the rm3di or STC.

These cameras/lenses all work with Copol 0 shutters or the more limited electonic shutters. Either shutter solution should work with the back in single shot mode if the interface cables exist.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

I'm guessing an electronic shutter would make multi-shot a TON easier with a tech camera.
    I'd go with something like an Alpa Max, and get the lenses installed with electronic shutter. That, or a Linhof Techno if you don't mind using GG focusing. Depends on what you wan to shoot. I have a Techno and absolutely love it, but the GG does put some people off.