The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica S replacement at Photokina

Peter Karbe said the Lenses can resolve 2um sensors,so they are a long way from being tested by this sensor.

I was hoping to see the 5.3um pixel used in Sony's new Exmor sensor which would have given close to 50mp!
I hope it has a ton of dynamic range at least, that's one thing keeping the resolution low is good for, right? Strange that the base ISO is 200 though.

torger

I hope it has a ton of dynamic range at least, that's one thing keeping the resolution low is good for, right? Strange that the base ISO is 200 though.
Same as Leica M typ 240. Same pixel size, same base ISO, even more strongly suggests that it's the exact same sensor technology, just a larger chip size. So if you want a preview on the performance, look at images produced by the M.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Same as Leica M typ 240. Same pixel size, same base ISO, even more strongly suggests that it's the exact same sensor technology, just a larger chip size. So if you want a preview on the performance, look at images produced by the M.
Sounds like they are just leveraging the tech from the 240. No surprise, I guessed this when the 240 came out.

Guy Mancuso

Guy, did you talk about this before?
Yes I did , I knew once they jumped over to CMOS with that company , forget the name now that they would bring the as up to the CMOS sensor. It's just a matter of making the sensor bigger( no small feat) but what happens for Leica is they get better pricing on quantity now between the 2 sizes but they don't have to do A ton of R&D on a new sensor. This makes perfect business sense on several levels.

Fact is folks all of this is basically based on the sensor tech and how far they can go with the existing technology. We are almost if not at the end of that rope right now with the current sensor tech for CCD and CMOS . The only way to get away from it is something completely new for sensor tech.

We are not there yet. I'm glad to see Leica take advantage of the 240 and move the S further . Its a great system and from its birth although took a long time it's growing. This may not be the unit for current users but it maybe for new users. Leicas goal obviously would be getting new users and gain market share.

RVB

Yes I did , I knew once they jumped over to CMOS with that company , forget the name now that they would bring the as up to the CMOS sensor. It's just a matter of making the sensor bigger( no small feat) but what happens for Leica is they get better pricing on quantity now between the 2 sizes but they don't have to do A ton of R&D on a new sensor. This makes perfect business sense on several levels.

Fact is folks all of this is basically based on the sensor tech and how far they can go with the existing technology. We are almost if not at the end of that rope right now with the current sensor tech for CCD and CMOS . The only way to get away from it is something completely new for sensor tech.

We are not there yet. I'm glad to see Leica take advantage of the 240 and move the S further . Its a great system and from its birth although took a long time it's growing. This may not be the unit for current users but it maybe for new users. Leicas goal obviously would be getting new users and gain market share.
Guy,Leica say this sensor is 16bit,whether this is just marketing I don't know,the debate on the benefits of 16bits is never ending,personally I think it makes a difference.

GMB

Not sure what to make of this. Since I got the S2, I had hoped that Leica would make it more DSLR like by increasing fps, auto-focus speed for moving objects, and better high ISO performance, without giving up the benefits of the current sensor and without adding (in view unnecessary) bells and whistles such as video. I skipped the S 006 because the improvements were nice to have but not worth the extra €€€€€.

The S 007 brings some of the improvements I longed for but changes the sensor and adds expensive video. I really would like to see how the new sensor performs and hot it affects the look of the S2 files. (I did not get the M 240 but kept with the M9 + MM). And the new S 006-E changes the look (for the worse) but otherwise brings nothing new (other then likely to depress prices for used S2s even further).

The good news is that Leica states the S 007 will be available in the second quarter of 2015 (which likely means it will hit the shelves in meaningful quantities for Christmas 2015 :eek:) so there will be plenty of time to think about this. In the meantime, I think I'll get the 100 summircon :).

Guy Mancuso

Guy,Leica say this sensor is 16bit,whether this is just marketing I don't know,the debate on the benefits of 16bits is never ending,personally I think it makes a difference.
Sounds like marketing a bit as we know from internet fora that the last 2 bits mean nothing. Not sure what to make of that but when I shot Phase backs they have more tonal range than anything else I shot and when I tested the original S to the p40 I could see that difference in tone. But at the time the P40 had better DR too. So hard to say as I am not a scientist. I do have a decent eye though

msadat

all the sudden the leica s2 makes a lot of sense. they are selling cheap on ebay and u can get s lens (none cs) also very cheap. u can put together a nice system for very little.

A

.:Aleph:.

So, RVB, why is it disappointing?

:)

all the sudden the leica s2 makes a lot of sense. they are selling cheap on ebay and u can get s lens (none cs) also very cheap. u can put together a nice system for very little.
Why?

JorisV

Especially when additionally you have Hasselblad and/or Contax lenses.

I quite honestly don't see Leica attracting many new users with the CMOS Leica S.

Neither do I see a lot of existing S2/S users upgrade...

Shashin

The sensor is not 16-bit. There are no 16-bit cameras in the consumer market--so no one knows if it makes a difference. It is marketing and not really honest marketing. And with a 13-bit DR (if it were a 16-bit sensor it should have much more than 13-bits of DR), it seems to be a bit behind.

RVB

The sensor is not 16-bit. There are no 16-bit cameras in the consumer market--so no one knows if it makes a difference. It is marketing and not really honest marketing. And with a 13-bit DR (if it were a 16-bit sensor it should have much more than 13-bits of DR), it seems to be a bit behind.
Will,marketing sounds about right as Hasselblad claim the exmor has 16bits and phase claim the same sensor has 14 bits...Pentax also list it as 14bits

One thing I have seen is that the Hasselblad H4D-50 I had (now sold as I went into the S system) and a friends IQ280 do have better tonal graduation but I guess this could be attributed to the larger sensor.

Rob

Shashin

Will,marketing sounds about right as Hasselblad claim the exmor has 16bits and phase claim the same sensor has 14 bits...Pentax also list it as 14bits

One thing I have seen is that the Hasselblad H4D-50 I had (now sold as I went into the S system) and a friends IQ280 do have better tonal graduation but I guess this could be attributed to the larger sensor.

Rob
Rob, you are right, there are other factors than bit depth that result in those smooth looking images we enjoy. It is a pity that the camera companies are not really shooting straight, no pun intended. :D

peterv

My Mercedes Sprinter Van speedometer suggests it can do 200 km/h ... Still, I do't feel that Mercedes are not really shooting straight. Some MF camera makers choose and advertise with a 16 bit pipeline where the files only need 14 bit, nothing new. Redundancy is good, IMHO.

A

.:Aleph:.

People complain about the 125 s exposure. How much longer would be preferable? 60 minutes, like the IQ250 and IQ260?