The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya Leaf announces the New Leaf Credo 50

synn

Thanks for the files, Lance. I don't have C1P8 yet, so can't open the Credo 50 files, but comparing the full res JPG to the IQ 150 RAW file, it looks like the credo has that classic Leaf "Punch" to it. Would be very interested to see how this translates to portraits; especially in comparison to the CCD backs.

Egor

Received cameras (both) today to demo.
Initial impression is good, but some hiccups:
Live View only works using USB connection, and no way to white balance in LV.
These are minor things but I was really hoping for better LV. Still a little noisy, but miles ahead of the CCD backs!

file quality is excellent for our porpoises. No real difference between IQ and Credo I can figure yet. More when I get the chance. Shot art with it today and my studio manager did most of the evaluation as I am buried under a literal mountain of post on multi-layered files that exceed 4-10 GB's in size. (They wanted big, they pay for big, they get big :)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
There actually maybe some settings for LV. Maybe one of the dealers can chime in. I had something on my Phase IQ 160

Egor

Hi Guy,
I don't think so, but could be wrong. I spoke to dealers and researched (albeit briefly), and those two factors were confirmed. They did say that a fix may come down the line for the WB during LV thwartage.
Also, I haven't researched yet, but we were having difficulty shooting while in LV. I hope that's just a lack of knowledge on my part.
Focus assist in C1-v8 was a delightful surprise, I like it more than focus mask only in the IQ.
We are a very "large screen projection" dependent studio, having pioneered many of the implementations of the techniques for our clients over 10 years ago. (Just in time for my doctor telling me the warranty on my eyesight had expired ;)

I will try and cross post this info on your review site. Just going in for round two today, I wish I could dedicate a whole day or more to testing but it's just not in the cards for me.
Absolutely buried here. I really appreciate the review you did, Guy. It is a ton of work, I know! :)

Steve Hendrix

Hi Guy,
I don't think so, but could be wrong. I spoke to dealers and researched (albeit briefly), and those two factors were confirmed. They did say that a fix may come down the line for the WB during LV thwartage.
Also, I haven't researched yet, but we were having difficulty shooting while in LV. I hope that's just a lack of knowledge on my part.
Focus assist in C1-v8 was a delightful surprise, I like it more than focus mask only in the IQ.
We are a very "large screen projection" dependent studio, having pioneered many of the implementations of the techniques for our clients over 10 years ago. (Just in time for my doctor telling me the warranty on my eyesight had expired ;)

I will try and cross post this info on your review site. Just going in for round two today, I wish I could dedicate a whole day or more to testing but it's just not in the cards for me.
Absolutely buried here. I really appreciate the review you did, Guy. It is a ton of work, I know! :)

On the IQ150/250 and Leaf Credo 5o, Live View is USB 3 only, not firewire (not fast enough to handle it, currently).

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Hi Guy,

First thanks for the compliment , yes they are hard to do and also do correctly without any bias either way. My goal always when doing them is give as clear a picture of what one may consider a purchase and at these price categories you never want to steer people wrong. I do like the Credo 50 and I'm actually quite surprised that I do because I had a bias ( negative that is to CMOS) but that was 35mm , this is a far different ball game.

As far as live view I'm sure we will see firmware updates going forward. Phase/ Leaf have been pretty good on improving there products. I wish Sony would take a clue here.

Keep us posted as time permits, your type of work is great info to backs like these since everything is very controlled in your shooting environment .

Hey if you ever need a shooter to help out in the studio, call me . Lol

Doug,
Is the operating temperature range another difference?

IQ series:

Leaf Credo: 0°–40°C (32°–104°F)
Humidity: 15%–80% (non-condensing)

Thanks,

Steve.
None of the experts addressed this question yet! From the spec it is obvious that there is a difference, however in reality, materials for both the bodies looks very identical [except Credo 50 doesn't have any buttons].

Subrata

Last edited:

yaya

As the data sheets in the provided links suggest, there is no difference...all Credo and IQ models are rated to 40c.

Thanks Yair.

My bad. After careful reading, what I see is that there is different temperature tolerance limit for CMOS & CCD based backs. Within CMOS, there is no temperature tolerance difference between Credo 50 & IQ150/250.

Paul2660

It's funny having now owned 3 different Phase backs I am surprised to see the 32 F degree spec on low end. Phase has shown at least one video where they took a P45 from a freezer so that was below freezing.

In my work I have often gone way below 32. And in the summer I feel the back easily can exceed 104. If I am out on a 95 degree day in Arkansas the back will get over 104 degrees. The back is black thus absorbs heat. During the summer I tend to turn the back off quite often to help keep the temp down.

I would say however those published specs are very conservative and that surprises me.

Paul

Chris Valites

It's funny having now owned 3 different Phase backs I am surprised to see the 32 F degree spec on low end. Phase has shown at least one video where they took a P45 from a freezer so that was below freezing.

In my work I have often gone way below 32. And in the summer I feel the back easily can exceed 104. If I am out on a 95 degree day in Arkansas the back will get over 104 degrees. The back is black thus absorbs heat. During the summer I tend to turn the back off quite often to help keep the temp down.

I would say however those published specs are very conservative and that surprises me.

Paul
Having been hiking all winter with a Credo 50 here in NH and battling 20 degree F or below temps, I can say that from my hands on experience, it doesn't seem to be all that bad. Definitely not unusable. As always, it's the batteries that suck in cold temps. I summitted Mt. Tecumseh last weekend and was swapping batteries from armpit to camera every two minutes or so. Stupid chemistry...science needs to match my hopes/dreams! Hah!

Steve Hendrix

Doug, will this credo come in Hy6 mount? considering DHW just went belly up?

I had a conversation with Leaf - before the Credo 50 announcement - about offering the Credo 40 in a Hy6 interface. I felt that there was a lot of enthusiasm for the Hy6 camera system/lenses but often our requests were for Aptus models, mostly because of price. Hence, the Credo 40 thought. It would have been considered, but only if adequate projected numbers were involved. And - ultimately the necessary numbers didn't materialize, so, no Credo 40 AFi.

Probably a moot point for now.

We retain a Hy6 system at our Atlanta office for testing and troubleshooting for our AFi/Hy6 customers - as it stands, Credo 60 and Credo 80 are still offered in Hy6 interface.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration