The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya Leaf announces the New Leaf Credo 50

yaya

Hi all,

The below Press Release has just gone out. Exciting times with Photokina starting in just 8 days! I hope to see some of you lot in Cologne!!!

TEL AVIV, September 8, 2014 -- Fourteen years since the CMOS-based 6MP Leaf C-MOST digital back was announced at Photokina 2000, Mamiya Leaf today introduced the Credo 50, a 50 megapixel CMOS-based system that gives photographers a wider range of settings -- from ISO 100 to ISO 6400 -- for greater versatility and higher performance in capturing legendary
Leaf colors under a variety of shooting conditions, including available light.

“The Leaf Credo 50 simply gives photographers more options,” said Ziv Argov, Vice President, Mamiya Leaf. “Its Sony 50 MP CMOS sensor enables full-resolution image captures up to ISO
6400. Its new image processor improves Live View performance and data flow, while expanding dynamic range to 14-stops. For wedding, portrait, fashion and action shooting, this system
delivers.”

* Live View -- The Leaf Credo 50 supports incredibly fluid high-quality live view for exact composition as well as more accurate and selective focusing, whether it is done on the digital back’s LCD, or on a computer monitor through Capture One software.
* Compelling, Clean Color Rendition -- 50 MP resolution
* Very Long Exposures -- up to One hour
* Giant Touch Screen -- 3.2” display at 1.15 megapixel resolution
* 14 f-stops dynamic range -- one shot captures retain amazing details in highlights and shadows
* Enhanced Image Processor -- faster and cleaner Live View, 2.3 GB Data Flow, 1.2 frames per second capture rate and faster read/write speeds.

Full specifications are available at: http://www.mamiyaleaf.com/credo50.html

So what’s it like shooting with the Leaf Credo 50?

Three photographers who’ve tested the system share their experiences.

“Leaf has always been known for its film-like color, which is true,” said Cameron Davidson, aerial photographer. “With the new Leaf Credo 50, I’m finding that I can shoot a high-contrast
situation and hold details in both shadows and sunlight. For aerials, I’m always facing these issues, shooting in low light and the Leaf Credo 50 is ideal for this work.”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOGseLj1O8A

“The better the camera, the more options you get,” said fashion photographer Frank Doorhof. “The new Leaf Credo 50 is a system that’s great to build on. You get incredible dynamic range,
very good noise control, and a bright touch display on the back, so when you’re outside, you can easily see the images you’re shooting. You can shoot with natural light, tungsten, lightbulbs or candles -- all with amazing quality.”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB4CHePhqNw

“For my project ‘New York Love Story’, I’m shooting the city from rooftops,” said Karsten Staiger, “The Leaf Credo 50 is an amazing piece of equipment. Its high dynamic range is very
important for me. Plus the ISO can go up to 6400, and the new Live View is just incredible -- I was able to zoom into the building, with a 300 mm lens, focus it and see people on the Empire
State Building. It’s just incredible the details I’m getting!”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94e7ZaVm1RY

For those attending Photokina 2014 Exhibition, the new Leaf Credo 50 will be on display in Hall 04.1 at Stand B040 C048

Pricing and Availability
The Mamiya Leaf Credo 50 Digital back is priced at 26,995 USD / 19.995 EUR. A Mamiya Leaf Credo 50 system is priced at 30,995 USD / 22.995 EUR. There is a Wide-Spectrum back
option for Near IR and UV imaging
. The Mamiya Leaf Credo 50 may be ordered now through Mamiya Leaf partners world wide (Mamiya Leaf Partners - Latin America). For existing
Mamiya Leaf customers, attractive digital back and/or camera system upgrades are available.

Shipping begins September 16, 2014.
The Mamiya Leaf Credo 50 comes with Capture One software for optimal capture, RAW image processing and image editing.
To schedule a hands-on demo of the Leaf Credo 50, please see this page: Arrange for a Mamiya Leaf Demonstration

About Mamiya Leaf
Mamiya Leaf represents the combined experience and expertise of Mamiya and Leaf -- two legendary brands. Together, they represent 100 years of camera, optics and digital imaging expertise, including the launch of the world’s first commercial medium format digital camera back. Mamiya Leaf is dedicated to improving the quality of its products, technologies and services to advance the industry and support all those who are passionate about digital photography. The company serves its customers worldwide through dedicated dealers. For more
information, please see: www.mamiyaleaf.com

One of the many pictures I took while working and testing the new back...

# #

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
We enjoyed testing the new Credo 50 and making comparisons to the IQ250 regarding color.

I don't know when we will publish a formal article, but we have the files now. So if any of our customers would like to see them just shoot me an email.

See you at Photokina Yair!

gerald.d

Yair - that's a tremendous image of the moon. Obviously a crop, but I'm guessing with the 240LS?

Kind regards,

Gerald.

f8orbust

Since Leaf backs are basically the Phase One 'budget' line, you can't help feel that this would have been a great moment to go radical on price à la the CFV-50c @ $15.5k.

But then, who would buy an IQ250?

torger

But then, who would buy an IQ250?
The thing with Phase One I think is this if you have Phase One you will get the best technology first, so if you are in the program and upgrade when new things arrive, you have the best stuff continously. Sure the competition (and Leaf budget brand) tags along and delivers the corresponding quality, but later, and often with a few little features lacking.

It's not as successful in being an attractive alternative at times when all alternatives are on the table, but then again, if you have the IQ250 you have a stepping stone to get the best technology first when the next leap comes, perhaps a full-frame CMOS.

If Phase One loses this position, say next time Hasselblad is first and have a stronger digital platform, then their pricing will become impossible. So far there's no sign that Phase One is going to lose the position as number one when it comes to digital back technology.

Should be noted that the CFV-50c is a specially priced digital back, just like the CFV-50 before it, I'm guessing they intend to sell to amateurs and artists more than traditional pro photographers and therefore have set a "low" price. Their "main product" H5D-50c has almost exactly the same price as Credo 50.

jagsiva

The biggest reason for staying with Phase for me is the integration between the IQ series backs and C1. I'm not talking about tethering etc., but more on the image processing and all the "black-box" magic that happens internally. I know that NEF file from my Nikon or ARW from my A7R do not get the same advantage when processed in C1.

This alone is worth staying with Phase, and I do hope they continue to have this level of strong software support for their backs. No point spending thousands on cameras and lenses only to run it on "generic" software. As much as a case can be made for standardization and open interfaces, proprietary usually means more focussed.

As the gap in pricing increases, the justification may not be so black and white, and of course this would vary for each individual.

torger

I think Capture One's superiority and any special tricks they might do in software because they know their hardware is over-rated.

They do very good and tasteful color profiling, and of course they put most effort into their own products. They probably have better lens profiling too for their 645DF lenses. But that's about it in terms of magic. However one can of course like the overall workflow in Capture One and its various features too, better than say Phocus or Lightroom.

I'm a bit surprised that there still are so poor availability of user-friendly software that let photographers themselves create and tune camera profiles. If photographers were used to actually create ICC / DCP profiles themselves (and not only for reproduction) I think we'd see more use of "generic" software.

Shashin

If Phase One loses this position, say next time Hasselblad is first and have a stronger digital platform, then their pricing will become impossible. So far there's no sign that Phase One is going to lose the position as number one when it comes to digital back technology.
You mean the one month difference in the release data between Phase and Hasselblad for their CMOS cameras is significant? Considering Hasselblad made their announcement first, I wonder if the tech race is really a factor. I think what brand you already own and the value proposition of a particular brand is going to be a bigger factor. I have never thought of Phase as particularly cutting edge in technology. With Leaf joining Phase, Hasselblad, and Pentax coming out with revolutionary 50MP CMOS Sony technology, no one seems particularly cutting edge, either that, the edge is rather large.

torger

You mean the one month difference in the release data between Phase and Hasselblad for their CMOS cameras is significant? Considering Hasselblad made their announcement first, I wonder if the tech race is really a factor. I think what brand you already own and the value proposition of a particular brand is going to be a bigger factor. I have never thought of Phase as particularly cutting edge in technology. With Leaf joining Phase, Hasselblad, and Pentax coming out with revolutionary 50MP CMOS Sony technology, no one seems particularly cutting edge.
Yep, I mean it's significant, but I could be wrong. It's a mix of tech features and being first though. Hasselblad did announce in advance, but it seemed rushed and they lack live view and have a bit dated feel overall (the back that is, the camera body seems to be a lot better). I do see Phase One as cutting edge in digital back technology. Their technological advantage may not be huge, but it's there. Noone has 60 mp long exposure except P1 with its IQ260. Sensor+ technology is unique to P1. GUI and encasing is in the front, and some other minor things. You know in the world of MF something like a Wifi port is a huge feature worth many thousands of dollars :).

If it has only come down to brand loyalty these days, then Phase One is in for some trouble long term.

gerald.d

Can't help wondering whether Phase One are confident with their back pricing because they have a kick-*** camera about to be announced that will really set them apart from the rest of the pack.

Hey. One can dream, yes? :)

miska

Ok, so what's the difference between the IQ250 and the Leaf ? Did someone do a side-by side spec comparison ?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Ok, so what's the difference between the IQ250 and the Leaf ? Did someone do a side-by side spec comparison ?
Compared to the Credo 50 the IQ250 adds:
- WiFi review, editing, and control
- GPS Geotagging
- Focus Mask
- Optional Custom Start Up Screen
- Different color profiles
- Availability of a 5-year warranty with loaner provision

And of course a higher price.

There are some typos out there which say the Credo 50 does not allow auto-horizon and perspective correction in Capture One. This is not correct; the Credo 50 does have this feature.

f8orbust

Can't help wondering whether Phase One are confident with their back pricing because they have a kick-*** camera about to be announced that will really set them apart from the rest of the pack...
I thought it was here already?

Last edited:

steve_cor

Doug,
Is the operating temperature range another difference?

IQ series:

Leaf Credo: 0°–40°C (32°–104°F)
Humidity: 15%–80% (non-condensing)

Thanks,

Steve.

Can't help wondering whether Phase One are confident with their back pricing because they have a kick-*** camera about to be announced that will really set them apart from the rest of the pack.

Hey. One can dream, yes? :)
I find it interesting no one mentions lenses. The 35mm camp are getting some way superior optics (the 85 1.4 Otus was just announced) which is making the comparable MF optics look like toys by comparison. I will never get my head around the pentagonal iris either!?

torger

The Otus series is manual focus... why shoot hi resolution f/1.4 when focus will be at least slightly off most of the time anyway? Sure great lenses for live view-focused landscape and still life, but then you will stop down, and when stopped down to say f/5.6 a Sigma Art lens is just as good, at a smaller price and indeed autofocus.

Otus is optically interesting, it shows what is possible when you let things cost, the results when the 50 megapixel sensors arrive will be even more interesting, but in terms of practical use I don't really understand its value.

I agree that the pentagonal iris is a mystery. How hard can it be to make it round? 135 systems and video have had it for ages on their high end lenses.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The focusing challenge represented by the Otus is temporary. Sony's A7 series already has peaking and I would be surprised if Nikon and Canon don't offer some kind of electronic or hybrid viewfinder within a couple of years. I must admit that I'm scratching my head a bit when looking at the most recent MFD announcements. A couple of years ago, the CCD sensors were one of the factors that made medium format stand out. Now, that has apparently changed. To me, these old cameras look increasingly like clunky, old fashioned pieces of gear with expensive lenses and backs, the latter losing more value the moment you hand over the cheque than the total cost of an A7r and a couple of good lenses.

I'm still very fascinated by MF and wish I could see a bright future for this, but this is starting to look a bit... weird? Dark?