Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Another MF maker died today - DHW bankrupt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Another MF maker died today - DHW bankrupt.

Sorry the link is in German - DHW has filed bankruptcy.

DHW Fototechnik GmbH hat Antrag auf Insolvenz gestellt | photoscala

A sad day, I really thought they were on a good way and keeping the Hy6 and the heritage of Rollei alive.

Greetings from Germany
    Stefan
    because photography is more than technology - and " as we have done this all the time "
    facebook:hcam.de - www.hcam.de - www.hartblei.de

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Another MF maker died today - DHW bankrupt.

Sorry to see that. I like their stuff although it's not in my toolbox currently.

Robb

Post Thanks / Like

Another RIP, so sad, amazing optics.
    great times for me 20 years ago with a rolleiflex 6x6, i like very much of the square format. I love to see in future a digital MF 6x6 monochrome camera, 6000x6000px resolution...

Post Thanks / Like

Very bad news indeed. I hope somebody will support the hy6 and 600x lines. I keep the 6008AF with the 55 mm Ts and 110mm.PQ.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe Leica will adopt the orphaned lenses and develop an adapter?

Post Thanks / Like

They did a terrible job marketing the Hy6, you almost never heard anything about it, and seeing one in the flesh was as rare as hen's teeth. Also, they should have designed it with different mount adapters, so it could take the latest PhaseOne backs. It's truly sad though because it had a lot of potential, let's hope it gets picked up somehow.

Post Thanks / Like

The news of the insolvency was a bit of a surprise to me as my sales as their US dealer were steadily rising, however I wouldn't say they are over - I just got a shipment with 3 cameras and a number of other items today from them.

I'm hoping that they will resurface as they have before or that a larger company will pick them up.

Post Thanks / Like

There may be some life in the animal yet. These smaller European companies sometimes drift in and out of solvency for reasons that have to do more with debt management than anything else. One can only hope.
    www.gigi-photos.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very sad news indeed, but not unexpected. The Hy6 is my favourite MF camera by far, and the only one currently in production that can do 6x6 as well as take digital backs. As has been mentioned before, their marketing sucked, which may have something to do with their limited financial resources. I really, really hope somebody will pick it up and get them going again.

Post Thanks / Like

Feeling badly , Hy6mod2 really good amongs present MFs with digiback, works excellent , no hanging. comptiable with digiback without interrupt during operations.

Is it a rule, good things always die firstly ??

Post Thanks / Like

As Geoff said, it's not totally game over yet. Small companies can run out of money, even if the prognosis and sales trends are good. If there is positive trends that can be shown they may be able to raise money and save the company. Their very limited marketing indicates that they were not a financially strong company.

If they ran out of money because there was simply too few sales and there is no trends of selling more, it probably is game over as no venture capital can then be attracted. We don't know that yet though.

If it dies and noone buys the remains it it's sad indeed. Not only the Hy6 is lost (the only 6x6-capable digital MF system), but also their interesting new electronic shutter for tech cameras, the HS-1000. With Copal shutters discontinued (albeit with probably quite some stock left) I've followed all developments in tech camera shutters with great interest.

Imagine if they had the financial strength to make their own 56x56mm digital back (also available in V-mount for wider sales) so they could provide a complete system in-house, and afford some marketing. Maybe they then could compete with the others.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

Sad about DHW going into insolvency,as I am under the impression that it was rescued by it's employees after the Rollei went into insolvency, probably at high cost.

I would guess that some company would take over parts and offer repairs in case the company cannot be refinanced. But, let us hope for the best. German investors have a tradition of keeping brands alive.

A sad truth may be that digital backs are where the money is, that is the reason that Hasselblad once closed the H-system, they didn't want to make the hard work of building a system and let Phase One earn the money. At least that is what than time CEO said in a swedish interview.

Hy 6 would have had a great future would Phase One joined the group, but Phase choose to work on the Mamiya platform.

Best regards
    Erik

Quote Originally Posted by torger View Post
    As Geoff said, it's not totally game over yet. Small companies can run out of money, even if the prognosis and sales trends are good. If there is positive trends that can be shown they may be able to raise money and save the company. Their very limited marketing indicates that they were not a financially strong company.

If they ran out of money because there was simply too few sales and there is no trends of selling more, it probably is game over as no venture capital can then be attracted. We don't know that yet though.

If it dies and noone buys the remains it it's sad indeed. Not only the Hy6 is lost (the only 6x6-capable digital MF system), but also their interesting new electronic shutter for tech cameras, the HS-1000. With Copal shutters discontinued (albeit with probably quite some stock left) I've followed all developments in tech camera shutters with great interest.

Imagine if they had the financial strength to make their own 56x56mm digital back (also available in V-mount for wider sales) so they could provide a complete system in-house, and afford some marketing. Maybe they then could compete with the others.
    Last edited by ErikKaffehr; 12th September 2014 at 03:08.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi everyone,

my English is not the best especially concerning any legal terms but I think it is necessary to give some comments on the ongoing situation. Due to different reasons we had to file insolvency. In Germany you have to announce when the cash flow situation isn’t sufficient anymore, so we had to act. In the last month we recognized that our sales didn’t go the right directions which is of course as many of you know reasoned in the lack of marketing and advertising. We know that many people out there like our cameras but we weren’t able to sell this fact good enough. This is a problem we have since the beginning in 2009 because we started as a small company that had to finance itself completely.

BUT ! as Geoff mentioned correctly, insolvency doesn’t mean game over. We can still act and do business, but we have to talk about how we do business with the trustee that was called by court. We have many ideas about the future and are currently working hard to find a solution really soon.

I think there are two things that will be important to talk about, first: we will fulfil the orders and the service request we’ll get directly or through our different partners.

Second: I’m sure that we will find a solution so that nobody needs to be afraid about getting accessories or service for their equipment.

As you can imagine, we will not be able to attend photokina with an own booth, but I will be there from Wednesday to Friday and will be happy to meet with anyone interested in person in cologne during my stay.

Best regards,

Johannes
    Likes 18 Member(s) liked this post

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DHW-Jhartje View Post
    Hi everyone,

my English is not the best especially concerning any legal terms but I think it is necessary to give some comments on the ongoing situation. Due to different reasons we had to file insolvency. In Germany you have to announce when the cash flow situation isn’t sufficient anymore, so we had to act. In the last month we recognized that our sales didn’t go the right directions which is of course as many of you know reasoned in the lack of marketing and advertising. We know that many people out there like our cameras but we weren’t able to sell this fact good enough. This is a problem we have since the beginning in 2009 because we started as a small company that had to finance itself completely.

BUT ! as Geoff mentioned correctly, insolvency doesn’t mean game over. We can still act and do business, but we have to talk about how we do business with the trustee that was called by court. We have many ideas about the future and are currently working hard to find a solution really soon.

I think there are two things that will be important to talk about, first: we will fulfil the orders and the service request we’ll get directly or through our different partners.

Second: I’m sure that we will find a solution so that nobody needs to be afraid about getting accessories or service for their equipment.

As you can imagine, we will not be able to attend photokina with an own booth, but I will be there from Wednesday to Friday and will be happy to meet with anyone interested in person in cologne during my stay.

Best regards,

Johannes
    We all here at GetDPI wish you guys the best. Last thing we need is less people in the industry
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The HY6 is the coolest MF SLR on the market, I just wish Phase and Sinar had of adopted it as their SLR platform.

Post Thanks / Like

This is the right time for Sony to acquire the platform. SONYYYYY!!!!
    If you are going to dream, you better do it all the way up to heaven!
    Eduardo

Post Thanks / Like

Sinar actually did…

Jenoptik, Frank & Heidecke, Leaf and Sinar were the original actors behind the Hy 6. Jenoptik seems to do other things, Frank & Heidecke ceased to exist, but was reborn as DHW, Leaf was acquired by Phase One and Leica bought Sinar.

A quick search on Google come up with this link:
    Rollei HY6 MOD1,& MOD2 W/Sinar/Leaf Backs - Photo.net Medium Format Forum

Once the Hy6 was introduced I felt that it was not an optimal choice for MF digital. The main reason was that it is a 6x6 design, while sensor development was more oriented to sub 645. Today, the most modern sensor for MF is 44x33. Hell will freeze to ice before larger sensors arrive, as the two major vendors of MFD backs (Phase and Hasselblad) and both MF DSLR vendors (Pentax and Leica) are comitted to 645 or sub 645 frame sensors.

Now, using a Hasselblad 555 I realize that 6x6 is not a bad thing, but I still lack a real ultra wide. The widest I have is 40 mm, that is something like 24 mm on a DSLR. But, shorter lenses can be made. Pentax has a 25 mm lens.

On the Hasselblad I can turn the back 90 degrees for vertical. Nice because it works with a 45 degree viewfinder. With a normal prism view finder the camera can be used with an L-plate, much easier than messing with a 10-35k digital back.

Leaf had a nice digital back with internal rotation of the sensor, really neat.

Best regards
    Erik

Quote Originally Posted by tjv View Post
    The HY6 is the coolest MF SLR on the market, I just wish Phase and Sinar had of adopted it as their SLR platform.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I recall when the HY6 was introduced. At the time I was shooting with a Leaf Aptus 7s back with a Mamiya interface (RZ with rotating back, and Mamiya 645). So, I demoed the Leaf AFi version of the HY6 in my studio with a Leaf rep. I invited a photographer pal of mine who shot with Rollie gear to help me evaluate it.

The camera was pretty nifty but could not take my existing Aptus back, and no accommodation could be made to do so. The trade value of my Leaf gear was beyond insulting, perhaps even arrogantly dismissive.

Basically, it was an all or nothing proposition.

I chose nothing.

I recall that afterwards my pal and I mused that this whole HY6 deal was eventually doomed for lack of making such a transition more accommodating.

Besides, experience with 6X7 and 6X6 cameras with digital backs was okay when I also shot film, once that went bye-bye, it was far less attractive then native 645 systems and digital backs.

Exit Leaf/Mamiya, enter Hasselblad H system. If it was all or nothing it might as well be a 645 system that matched the sensors available and provided the high sync speeds necessary for my work … I was NEVER one who believed a 6X6 sensor would ever be made.

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like

You gotta admit though, it'd be nice to have auto focus, a full frame 645 sensor, a waist level finder AND a rotating back...
    There may not be any full frame 6x6 sensors ever built, but some us also like to shoot film too.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Uaiomex View Post
    Eduardo
    Wouldn't that be a hoot

But Sony seems to be quickly traveling in the opposite direction … tiny cameras with big sensors.

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

I would speculate that Hasselblad may be a better candidate, if Sony wanted to go into MFD, which I doubt. Hasselblad has a lot to offer, a market position included.

Your point on tiny cameras with big sensor is an interesting one. Unfortunately, it is difficult to make tiny lenses for big sensors.

Best regards
    Erik

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Wouldn't that be a hoot

But Sony seems to be quickly traveling in the opposite direction … tiny cameras with big sensors.

- Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ErikKaffehr View Post
    Hi,

I would speculate that Hasselblad may be a better candidate, if Sony wanted to go into MFD, which I doubt. Hasselblad has a lot to offer, a market position included.

Your point on tiny cameras with big sensor is an interesting one. Unfortunately, it is difficult to make tiny lenses for big sensors.

Best regards
    Erik
    Yeah, that the rub isn't it? The incomparable Zeiss Otis line completely negates the whole small package idea. But the A7 cameras with the 55/1.8 isn't terribly out of proportion.

That's why the tiny FE 35/2.8 is my favorite lens on the A7R … maybe I got lucky, but mine is a superb performer. My big wish is for a pancake lens to use on the A7 cameras.

If Sony made a MFD, at least the body would be small … the mirror box for MF cameras is what makes them huge. Get rid of that and we are slimmed down quite a bit even if the lenses were still largish.

- Marc
    Last edited by fotografz; 13th September 2014 at 16:18.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder how many times they have been broke… as F&H, Rollei Fototechnik, Rollei Fototechnik + SAMSUNG, F&H, DHW… I used to worry about it, wishing they would manage out of
    the bad situation they were in… but now I don’t feel any pity for them, first of all because they didn’t learn in decades how to sell a good product and second the bad experience I had with service.
    The focusing ring of my 2,8/50 got stuck, I send it to Braunschweig for repair, got it back with no charges, I was happy and thankful for having the lens back, it looked
    clean, focusing ring turned smoothly. Put the lens in the Pelicase… had no use for it at the moment. Then came a big assignment from a client, models, building of a set a.s.o.
    Shooting tethered with the 2,8/50 my assistant keeps me saying shots are out of focus… at first I could not believe it was the lens… it seems F&H had misaligned the optics.
    I send the lens to DHW, six months later I got it back as it was, not even good as a paperweight. Do I have now to buy a new 2,8/50 ? NO WAY !
    Last edited by Ignazi Uriarte; 13th September 2014 at 13:42.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

I would say that a technical camera could make a perfect match, especially with live view, and good implementation of live view.

With current prices, beyond my reach, but I really suggest technical cameras and live view are an ideal match.

Best regards
    Erik

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Yeah, that the rub isn't it? The incomparble Zeiss Otis line completely negates the whole small package idea. But the A7 cameras with the 55/1.8 isn't terribly out of proportion.

That's why the tiny FE 35/2.8 is my favorite lens on the A7R … maybe I got lucky, but mine is a superb performer. My big wish is for a pancake lens to use on the A7 cameras.

If Sony made a MFD, at least the body would be small … the mirror box for MF cameras is what makes them huge. Get rid of that and we are slimed down quite a bit even if the lenses were still largish.

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ignazi,
    I'm sorry to read about your service experience which isn't the norm. I've sent you an e-mail. All factory service does come with a warranty, hopefully we can get this sorted for you.
    Regards,
    Eric

Post Thanks / Like

Does this mean my Rollei gear will appreciate in value?

Hope all the best to you guys!

Post Thanks / Like

Two trends: some will run away, some will run towards.

Post Thanks / Like

In all the years working as a photographer I never came across a more complete and almost perfect medium format system.
    And the support received from DHW has always been great. Best of luck to them!

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I met Johannes on the show floor today. He was upbeat and optimistic they can find a business solution. He was not wanting to provide any hints, which I can understand as if they are looking for a funding source, partner, or angel investor then they would not want to scare them away by disclosing anything.

Hopefully they will find such a solution as more makers is, IMO, always a good thing, and they have some good people.

That said he also clarified that they want to find this solution in the next six weeks.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Post Thanks / Like

Eduardo
    I don't know about Sony. I think they need someone who can play the role Fuji Heavy Industries played when Subaru was smaller - maybe someone like Kenteh Optical in Taiwan who might see advertising benefit from saying they have "Rollei HFT Coating" on their telescope lenses or something like that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Eduardo
    Sony has financial problems of their own. They lost several Billion dollars last quarter and haven't made a profit in years. Don't be surprised if their losses effect their camera division
    Stanley

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Good news - update on the status of DHW - seems they may get a new chance and production is still running uninterrupted. See here )in german again-sorry!)

DHW Fototechnik: Wir wollen weitermachen (aktualisiert) | photoscala

Greetings from Germany
    Stefan
    because photography is more than technology - and " as we have done this all the time "
    facebook:hcam.de - www.hcam.de - www.hartblei.de

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Their cameras are popular in China. Some of their affluent customers in The Middle Kingdom must surely have a truckload or two of money available for this worthy cause, no? I wish I had. Owning Rollei... that would be something

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No, it is called a liquidation auction. But, if you want a piece of history, there looks like there are some prototype cameras in the lots. Maybe you can pick up some CBC machines too.

Post Thanks / Like

Rolleiflex Factory to be Liquidated at Auction: Here's a Look Inside

It's sad. A great camera company and great products. The photos in the Petapixel link show what looks like a very tired factory. Sad to see.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes, this is rather sad! I had the Hy6, and while I was not impressed with the Sinarback that I had with it, the camera itself was excellent, as were the lenses. It was a fantastic camera to shoot film with, but I eventually sold it because they took years to come out with a 6x6 film back for it. Of course, they came out with it not long after I sold it! Seeing the factory itself, it makes a bit of sense. Clearly they were doing their best to keep it running, but must not have had enough sales to keep it going. A bit of a downward spiral...

I visited the Leica factory back in September, and the contrast could not be starker. Both companies were producing high end, incredibly capable cameras, but Leica is clearly doing spectacularly well. It is an interesting contrast of how differently two companies at the pinnacle of film camera production transitioned to digital. Leica clearly cracked the code, and Rollei unfortunately did not manage.

In comparison to the images above, this is what the factory floor at Leica now looks like:

My condolences to the DHW team and the owners of their products...it's too bad that it had to end this way!
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

Post Thanks / Like

What strikes me as a little unusual about those pictures is the distinct lack of built, finished product? There are some machined bodies but nothing more advanced in the production stage than some historical display pieces.
    Last edited by gazwas; 17th March 2015 at 06:45.

Post Thanks / Like

Lot #576 has a few boxed X-Act 2s. The description says 25 large boxes, 10 small, plus some other gear, with a reserve (?) of 500 euros for the lot. Currently $6300 each at B&H ...

Post Thanks / Like

As some of you may know, there were some interested third-party efforts to try and rescue DHW. Without going into details, two things to note - first, the idea was not to simply inject some cash and get the same operation up and running, but rather to implement a larger plan to relaunch the brand properly, invest in sufficient marketing and develop suitable new products. These plans did not come to pass, and so we have sadness instead.

Having used the Hy6 and 6008 products for some 20+ years, I plan to keep using them. In all its iterations, the Hy6 and its lenses, as well as the TLR still being made, are both fine products. The lenses are top tier, management difficulties notwithstanding. With proper support, this could have gone much further, but that's water under the bridge now.

Post Thanks / Like

Such a shame. I only ever hear great things about the Hy6 - it seems to be the MF camera everyone wishes for. Rather than reinvent the wheel, and taking 5 years to do it, maybe P1 should have taken this forward. As you say though, water under the bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

Your picture illustrates part of the problem. Leica makes digital cameras, and I guess that it is the digital stuff where the money is.

Making the analogue part means doing all the hard work and let the back makers earn all the money.

Leica had a very significant capital injection, close to 200 M€ AFAIK, and that obviously helped a lot.

Best regards
    Erik

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Richardson View Post
    Yes, this is rather sad! I had the Hy6, and while I was not impressed with the Sinarback that I had with it, the camera itself was excellent, as were the lenses. It was a fantastic camera to shoot film with, but I eventually sold it because they took years to come out with a 6x6 film back for it. Of course, they came out with it not long after I sold it! Seeing the factory itself, it makes a bit of sense. Clearly they were doing their best to keep it running, but must not have had enough sales to keep it going. A bit of a downward spiral...

I visited the Leica factory back in September, and the contrast could not be starker. Both companies were producing high end, incredibly capable cameras, but Leica is clearly doing spectacularly well. It is an interesting contrast of how differently two companies at the pinnacle of film camera production transitioned to digital. Leica clearly cracked the code, and Rollei unfortunately did not manage.

In comparison to the images above, this is what the factory floor at Leica now looks like:

My condolences to the DHW team and the owners of their products...it's too bad that it had to end this way!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I am not that surprised. I think DHW did not do a propper marketing of the brand. They did not give people the feeling that the brand Rollei/ the company has a proper strategy for the future. So I guess if people did like the product (I did like the Hy6) they might not have bought because they felt unsafe about the future and service.
    Still sad.
    I assume the problem for some of the big german brands is that there were years where they had such a good reputation and business that they forgot to invest in the future. Success makes people/companies lazy sometimes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gazwas View Post
    What strikes me as a little unusual about those pictures is the distinct lack of built, finished product? There are some machined bodies but nothing more advanced in the production stage than some historical display pieces.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the Hong Kong retailers have bought and paid for all finished products already. Hong Kong was an important market for Rollei the last years and the retailers there seem to have cash enough to buy any lot of products they want and keep them until a buyer walks in through the door.

Post Thanks / Like

With tounge in cheek, I blame "team" Phase One. Could have adopted and adapted the body long ago when they aquired Leaf. Instead, they stuck with their dog with fleas Mamiya 645. How does that even begin to make sense?

Post Thanks / Like

Why in the world did Leica choose to buy SINAR and not DHW? They know how to sell niche products, the Rolleiflex has a ton in common with a Leica. The S system would be a great platform for AF Rollei glass and they are clearly interested in expanding that system of lenses even at the cost of driving with a Planar over a Summarit. :-)

But really nobody wants to see this company really close their doors. I was just considering demo'ing a Hy6 for my film wedding work. I probably still should.

My 2.8E Planar (which I've adapted to take a Hasselblad prism) is my favorite camera. I still shoot it at weddings. That Planar with some Portra is a dream combination. I was hoping to one day buy an FX-N. I know a guy who has one and I'm more than a bit jealous.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tjv View Post
    With tounge in cheek, I blame "team" Phase One. Could have adopted and adapted the body long ago when they aquired Leaf. Instead, they stuck with their dog with fleas Mamiya 645. How does that even begin to make sense?
    Yep. A platform designed to be open, ends up with Leaf, Sinar and DHW all marketing on their own (kiss of death). Phase having pulled out. Then Leica buys Sinar, not this (ugh). And its probably the best extension of the Hassy V way of working…. different than the H.

Its a history full of petty decisions in a declining marketplace. The irony is that like Hassy, Rollei was an early innovator in the 1990s digital era, with a very early scan back, and lots of attention paid to integration, sadly much too early. So like many others, they got toasted, and those development $$ were lost. That may be the straw that broke the camel's back, who knows.

But it sure is a good system to use.
    www.gigi-photos.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Speedgraphic View Post
    Why in the world did Leica choose to buy SINAR and not DHW? They know how to sell niche products, the Rolleiflex has a ton in common with a Leica. The S system would be a great platform for AF Rollei glass and they are clearly interested in expanding that system of lenses even at the cost of driving with a Planar over a Summarit. :-)...
    Which is exactly why Leica wants Sinar. You usually buy a company to diversify.

Although, I am unsure why Sinar folding is a better alternative to Rollei. I doubt Leica could "save" both.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

RIP

Kodak
    Polaroid
    Contax (again)
    Bronica
    Minolta
    Konica
    Minox
    Noblex
    Pannon Camera Co. (Widelux)
    Yashica
    Rollei

And there are many more on the way...
    Will

http://www.hakusancreation.com

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen a lot of praise of the Hy6 on the forums, but obviously that didn't result in sales :-/. Seems like it was the best camera that noone buyed.