The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Alpa (Real) Photokina news 2014

vjbelle

The choice of either the built in leaf shutter of the H lenses or the Alpa FPS will be very helpful with longer lenses..... and the H lenses from my experiences were very capable at their tasks.

Victor

Steve Hendrix

The choice of either the built in leaf shutter of the H lenses or the Alpa FPS will be very helpful with longer lenses..... and the H lenses from my experiences were very capable at their tasks.

Victor

Indeed.

A very cool camera platform is turning into an even more versatile system. Can't wait to get those adapters in here.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

Where are those CMOS-friendly, yellow-banded ultra wide angle lenses (just like the new 90HR)? Should such announcements exist, are they going to be announced by Rodenstock / Schneider instead of Alpa?

Steve Hendrix

Ok. So which H lenses do I need to scoop up off Ebay before the prices go up because of this? :)

For you - that's a good question Gerald, you shoot amazing wides already, and I haven't seen any telephoto wildlife shots!

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

narikin

Ok. So which H lenses do I need to scoop up off Ebay before the prices go up because of this? :)

I don't think you need to worry on prices Gerald, there's (sadly) too few FPS owners out there, as yet, to 'move the market'.

The question remains a good one - which Rollei/Hassy/Contax lenses are capable of:

(a) meeting top shelf MF digital resolution and aberration standards
(b) being shifted with those exciting new shift adapters

Most legacy lenses that seemed excellent in their day show their weakness' when married to a high end MF sensor. The Hassy H ones are made for digital now, so I'd be more hopeful about those being up to snuff, than Contax 645 (which is what I used to own, and have a fondness for, but...)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I don't think you need to worry on prices Gerald, there's (sadly) too few FPS owners out there, as yet, to 'move the market'.

The question remains a good one - which Rollei/Hassy/Contax lenses are capable of:

(a) meeting top shelf MF digital resolution and aberration standards
(b) being shifted with those exciting new shift adapters

Most legacy lenses that seemed excellent in their day show their weakness' when married to a high end MF sensor. The Hassy H ones are made for digital now, so I'd be more hopeful about those being up to snuff, than Contax 645 (which is what I used to own, and have a fondness for, but...)
There's the other school of thought that likes the look of some these lenses even though they may not technically be up to the perfect demands of the sensors. Either way, it's nice to have options.

narikin

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this also mean that when you use an FPS on a MAX as shutter unit, you will get 18+12mm = 30mm of cross, and 25+12mm of rise with the new adapters?

f8orbust

From the images on the Alpa website, it would appear that the combo has to be lens > adapter > FPS.

To maintain infinity focus I don't think lens > adapter > FPS > Max would work with any of the Hasselblad H or Contax lenses the shift adapter is designed to work with, since the lenses aren't available in short mount versions (à la Alpa's SB34 -> SB17 lens mount) to account for the extra depth of the Max.

rupho

I use the Contax 35 already with the FPS and I can tell you it's a superb lens close to the very high standards of the 32HR which I also own.
The advantage of the Contax is that it can shift on the FPS on a full frame sensor it's 6mm after that corners falls apart. I use the Contax for my retail interiors where I don't need a lot of shift with the benefits of electronic shutters the 32HR shines where more shift or a combo of shift and left / right movement is needed s.a. architecture.
I can't speak for other lenses in the contax line up but the 35mm is very sharp and I really like the look of the files. I never understood the strong following of the Contax MF system until I used this lens
Highly recommended
In regards the the previous post : this adapter can't be used in conjunction with the Max and FPS, neither would you need it because the adapter provides the shift already , the max would just be an oversized spacer. In any case focusing to infinity is out of the questions if if connect the Max to the FPS
The shortest lens in the Alpa lens line up is the Rodenstock 50HR SHortbarrel 34 it allows for 5 mm of movement before the protruding lens in the back hits the interior chamber of the FPS.
Grischa

narikin

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this also mean that when you use an FPS on a MAX as shutter unit, you will get 18+12mm = 30mm of cross, and 25+12mm of rise with the new adapters?
Ok, Yes, my bad. It goes lens to Max To FPS to back, with a mini adapter in there somewhere. So the new adapters will not add to the Max's range.

However, these FPS shifting adapters show that it is possible to engineer that, and with electronic coupling. Surely a regular SB adapter with shift must be planned, adding to possible shift/stitch capability of Max, STC and SW.

Fingers crossed!

gerald.d

I don't see that these adapters could be used with another camera such as the Max in the chain.

Even ignoring flange distance and infinity focusing, there's no way to pass the electrical signals through the second camera.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

narikin

Agreed, but what I'm now saying is that a regular non-FPS shifting adapter must be possible (if they can build one WITH electronic coupling, then they can build one WITHOUT electronic coupling!) so you can put your SB lens onto a Max or STC or even just a TC, and use a shifting adapter at the back, instead of the regular plain adapter, to get more mm rise/fall or cross shift. Or have 2 thinner shifting adapters, one behind the lens, one between body and back to combine the effects in different directions.

We do have tilting adapters after all, so a shifting one as well seems easily possible. Hope they announce/plan to make those!

gerald.d

Saw these adapters today.

I mentioned in the relevant thread that I was also impressed with the new Arca modular solution similar in functionality to the FPS. It is very cool.

But, it was interesting to see how far ahead Alpa are when it comes to the FPS. These new adapters, with the ability of the FPS to control both focussing and the leaf shutter of the lenses (in combination with control of the focal plane shutter of the FPS itself) opens up a whole new world of possibilities.

With regards narikin's observation - yes, clearly it would be possible to create a lens adapter that provides shift movements (the new adapters are +/-12 mm on both axes BTW), but I can't see them doing that as it would surely canibalize sales of the 12-series cameras that offer shifts?

Kind regards,

Gerald.

torger

As far as I understand the H lenses are designed to be used together with digital correction in software, or else you will have residual chromatic abberations. AFAIK Phocus uses EXIF data including focus distance as input to the lens correction algorithm. I guess when using H lenses with these adapters you can't apply lens corrections. I don't know how dependent on lens corrections the H lenses are though for good results. Usually wide angle lenses need more correction than longer ones.

narikin

Saw these adapters today.

I mentioned in the relevant thread that I was also impressed with the new Arca modular solution similar in functionality to the FPS. It is very cool.

But, it was interesting to see how far ahead Alpa are when it comes to the FPS. These new adapters, with the ability of the FPS to control both focussing and the leaf shutter of the lenses (in combination with control of the focal plane shutter of the FPS itself) opens up a whole new world of possibilities.

With regards narikin's observation - yes, clearly it would be possible to create a lens adapter that provides shift movements (the new adapters are +/-12 mm on both axes BTW), but I can't see them doing that as it would surely canibalize sales of the 12-series cameras that offer shifts?

Kind regards,

Gerald.
Interesting to hear Gerald. I presume you mean in both directions simultaneously? thats pretty impressive.

I see your point about a non FPS shifting adapter, but don't think they'll cannibalize Max/STC sales - more likely an STC owner would buy an adapter to get Rise with Cross at same time, a Max owner would buy one to gain more cross/ rise from that camera. You also don't seem to think that this FPS shifting adapter cannibalizes STC or MAX sales, so why would it do that to non FPS cameras?

Also a release of non-FPS shift adapters would make Alpa jump off that somewhat biased chart Digital Transitions put together to promote the brand of Tech cameras they sell (not Alpa!). and put it far ahead as a leader in potential movements.

I have all the Alpa bodies I want*, but would buy an SB Shift adapter that extended my range and potential for substantially bigger movements & stitches, in a heartbeat.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

* although... the Phase/Alpa 'A series' means I reserve the right to break this promise ;)

Excuse my ignorance on this one, with these new adapters is it either rise/fall or shift left/right?

It is not possible to do a combination of both is it?

Ok, thanks so much.. :)