The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

RZ67 digital backs lens crop?

Pemihan

I really have a hard time figuring this out...

If I use my IQ160 on a RZ67 what will the lens crop be compared to using the back on the DF+ or my Cambo?

Will a 120mm image have the same angle of view on all three systems?

Thanks
Peter

Stefan Steib

"....Will a 120mm image have the same angle of view on all three systems?..."

Yes - exactly ! Focal length is focal lenght.

Maybe to clear this you should get an app for iPhone which explains this quite good: It´s called angle of view. Highly recommended !

Regards
Stefan

Pemihan

Yes focal lenght is focal lenght but the angel of view can be different, eg if you use a 44x33mm vs a 53.9 x 40.4mm back.

I will check out the Angle of View app, thanks.

Peter

"....Will a 120mm image have the same angle of view on all three systems?..."

Yes - exactly ! Focal length is focal lenght.

Maybe to clear this you should get an app for iPhone which explains this quite good: It´s called angle of view. Highly recommended !

Regards
Stefan

Pemihan

I'll rephrase my self:

Will an image shot with a 120mm lens on all three systems have the same angle of view or will there be a crop factor to consider?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Focal length of the lens and the size of the sensor involved are the only things that matters.

If you use the same back on multiple bodies, each time with a 120mm lens then the framing of the scene will be identical on all three.

The light tight box in the middle does not matter.

Last edited:

Pemihan

Ok, got it, thanks Doug.
Some times my brain runs in circles and today was one of those days..:banghead:

Stefan Steib

"...Yes focal lenght is focal lenght but the angel of view can be different, eg if you use a 44x33mm vs a 53.9 x 40.4mm back...."

That´s true but you asked what will happen when you use an IQ160 on different bodies with 3 different 120mm lenses. :)

One thing that is nearly sure (though it doesn´t have anything to do with Physics) is these 3 images will NOT be identical.....
because a marked 120mm lens normally is allowed to differ +- 10% by Iso in focal length !!! Zeiss for example limits their lenses to 5 % but this means unless you got "matched" equal focal length exemplars you might even end up with different image sizes using 3 of the same lenses on the same body !!!

....and now you know the rest of the story.....:lecture:

Regards
Stefan

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

You are right, but I don't think there is a significant variation in focal length within a single lens line, tolerance are probably quite tight.

It is well possible that the exact focal length is say 107.5 mm, but it may be sold as either 105 mm or 110 mm. But most samples may be within say 107.2 and 107.8 mm.

Another factor may be the optical construction may be changed over time. Perhaps a type of glass is replaced with another type having different optical properties.

I used to muse myself with the 90-110 zoom that actually is a prime lens :)

Best regards
Erik

"...Yes focal lenght is focal lenght but the angel is these 3 images will NOT be identical.....
because a marked 120mm lens normally is allowed to differ +- 10% by Iso in focal length !!! Zeiss for example limits their lenses to 5 % but this means unless you got "matched" equal focal length exemplars you might even end up with different image sizes using 3 of the same lenses on the same body !!!

Regards
Stefan

Stefan Steib

Hi Erik

Try it and measure it. You will be astonished......:confused:

I had to learn it the hard way, as we once had a customer who bought 2 of our 40mm lenses to use them on a book reproduction system. It didn´t work, because the cameras were mounted exactly on same mirrored positions and the lenses were NOT identical and more than a little.

The reply of Zeiss is what I told you in the last post.

For all complex lenses which are calibrated at mounting this is the same.

The one exception that I know of are the newer Canon lenses like the 17mm and 24mm TS-E which use pressed aspherics.

Greetings from Germany
Stefan

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

OK, I am astonished and stand corrected!

Best regards
Erik

Hi Erik

Try it and measure it. You will be astonished......:confused:

I had to learn it the hard way, as we once had a customer who bought 2 of our 40mm lenses to use them on a book reproduction system. It didn´t work, because the cameras were mounted exactly on same mirrored positions and the lenses were NOT identical and more than a little.

The reply of Zeiss is what I told you in the last post.

For all complex lenses which are calibrated at mounting this is the same.

The one exception that I know of are the newer Canon lenses like the 17mm and 24mm TS-E which use pressed aspherics.

Greetings from Germany
Stefan

Steve Hendrix

Hi,

OK, I am astonished and stand corrected!

Best regards
Erik

We like to think how perfect these great products are, especially our favorite products. But the fact is, they are not. And that goes across the board. The differences are more in what they do, rather than how perfectly manufactured they are. Although some products are less perfect than others. ;)

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration