Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Arca Swiss Photokina 2014: dEx, FP, CS, DM

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Arca Swiss Photokina 2014: dEx, FP, CS, DM

Quote Originally Posted by f8orbust View Post
    All looks kinda interesting - would like to see a picture of everything hooked up - simply from the number of modules, ports and cables required a picture of an octopus comes to mind. Can't help but think this sort of thing needs a return to first principles (e.g. FPS) rather than trying to reverse-engineer everything to fit. Kudos to A/S for trying though (but already the talk of mount changes and shutter swaps makes my wallet shiver, and I don't even own A/S).

A shame the CS tops out at 1/250 sec - even the old Rollei one for Copal 0 could hit 1/500.

Jim
    A comment. The Arca-Swiss shutter can fire at a rate of 1/250 in a #1 shutter and when the lens is wide open. When you stop down the time is actually much quicker than 1/250 when the aperture is closed down.
    Rod
    US Representative, Arca-Swiss International
    R-Line Technical Cameras, Large Format View Cameras, Tripod Heads D4, D4m, P1, P0, Z1, Z2, C1 Cube.
    http://www.rodklukas.com/arca-swiss 480-755-3364
    Instagram @arcaswissusa Facebook @arcaswissusa

Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone comment on the Cloud DM (vs the older e-module Cloud-thingy) ? I'll be at the 'Kina next WE so I'll check it out in person, but would like to get some opinions about this before I go...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by alajuela View Post
    This is Great!!!!!!!!! - What set up will I need just FPS for my F and M camera?

Toooooo Coooool !!!!!

Phil
    Added clarification:
    The 32mm limit is for using the FPS on a rail camera.
    ON the R series cameras 23m and 28mm Rodenstock lenses are also viable, and of course, 32mm and up in any brand.
    Rod
    R-Line Technical Cameras, Large Format View Cameras, Tripod Heads D4, D4m, P1, P0, Z1, Z2, C1 Cube.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by miska View Post
    Can anyone comment on the Cloud DM (vs the older e-module Cloud-thingy) ? I'll be at the 'Kina next WE so I'll check it out in person, but would like to get some opinions about this before I go...
    The wireless cloud works in conjunction with the MPU and RC units which are used to control the shutter.
    Once you focus the clou, the distance is indicated on the Remote Control, and the depth of field is shown for 4 Apertures as does the original emodules. If camera is focused to that distance indicated by the cloud wireless, the depth of field for that focus is shown for the 4 apertures: F5.6, 8.0, 11, 16.

Focus is very smooth and clear.
    Hope this helps
    Rod

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RodK View Post
    The wireless cloud works in conjunction with the MPU and RC units which are used to control the shutter.
    Once you focus the clou, the distance is indicated on the Remote Control, and the depth of field is shown for 4 Apertures as does the original emodules. If camera is focused to that distance indicated by the cloud wireless, the depth of field for that focus is shown for the 4 apertures: F5.6, 8.0, 11, 16.

Focus is very smooth and clear.
    Hope this helps
    Rod
    Any info on how "fine" the distance stepping in the Could DM? Is it finer than the eModule Could? Thanks...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dougpeterson View Post
    I just got back from the Arca Swiss booth.

Wow.

Simply wow.

Will post all details tonight from hotel.
    Any info on the pricing and availability of the focal shutter and its control unit ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is the US pricing that we have received.

Arca-Swiss dEx
    MPU : Microprocessor unit for Dex shutters and accessories     $1,400.00
    RC :  Remote control for Dex and MPU                          $1,120.00
    CS :   Central Leaf shutter (requires MPU and RC)             $1,680.00
    FS :  Focal Plane shutter                                    $2,940.00
    AC : Aperture Control for lenses with FPS                  $980.00
    DC: Aperture control for Canon lenses R body                 $1,330.00
    DM : Cloud wireless device (Requires MPU and RC units)      $1,540.00
    FC : Focus control 'wagon' (Requires MPU and RC units)         $910.00
    Upgrade R-Lime lenses 23-80mm for FPS                       $490.00
    Upgrade R-Line lenses 90-120mm for FPS                       $630.00

Please feel free to contact me with additional questions regarding configuring the components to add to your Arca system.

Lance email
    LANCE SCHAD - Digital Transitions - Phase One,Mamiya | Leaf,Arca-Swiss,Cambo, Profoto
    direct/cell:610-496-5586 office:877-367-8537x224
    http://www.digitaltransitions.com email:[email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lance, thanks for the prices, a few questions.

The upgrade for R lenses @$490.00, is this a cost of shipping the lens to Arca? As the price that has been quoted for the actual new tube is $350.00 per tube. I realize each lens has to be measures etc. but that can be done hopefully locally by an Arca rep. or Authorized dealer?

Is the increase in price on 90 and above due to the fact that a different back extension part also has to be used?, I refer to the back extension pieces that come with a 90mm HR-SW, 105mm Rod, 120 Schneider, etc. each is a bit different in width.

Can the shutter be used with only the MPU, or do you have to also have the Wireless piece. I assume if the MPU is only used, the photographer has to stand close to the camera as with a copol?

Aperture Control for lenses with FPS (?) I assumed you could still use the Copol in the lens for aperture?

What is the connection to the Back, i.e. with a Copol, you have the cable that runs from the shutter to the back. What runs from the FP to the Back and does it have to be wireless or can there be a hard connection as with a Copol.

Thanks
    Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great questions Paul
    Stanley

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'll try and answer what I can. Doug will be back in office tomorrow and he is going to fill us all in on his actual experience with the new Arca-Swiss products.

The upgrade for R lenses @$490.00, is this a cost of shipping the lens to Arca? As the price that has been quoted for the actual new tube is $350.00 per tube. I realize each lens has to be measures etc. but that can be done hopefully locally by an Arca rep. or Authorized dealer?

When we have remounted lenses to the R-Bayonet the customer would be responsible for the shipping to DT (whatever method they prefer) and we would take care of forwarding them for the modification and we would ship back to customer via UPS ground at no additional charge. Also the original price that was floating around of $350 , was actually Euros and not converted to US currency.

Is the increase in price on 90 and above due to the fact that a different back extension part also has to be used?, I refer to the back extension pieces that come with a 90mm HR-SW, 105mm Rod, 120 Schneider, etc. each is a bit different in width.
    I believe they changed the rate on the new 90mm HR-SW since it requires the rear spacer like the longer lenses. If you want an older 90mm remounted it would be the lower cost.

Can the shutter be used with only the MPU, or do you have to also have the Wireless piece. I assume if the MPU is only used, the photographer has to stand close to the camera as with a copol?

MPU is what the components are connected to , it is the central processing unit and it is controlled wirelessly from the RC - Remote Control.
    Aperture Control for lenses with FPS (?) I assumed you could still use the Copol in the lens for aperture?

I believe they are referencing the electronic aperture of Canon/Nikon Lenses

What is the connection to the Back, i.e. with a Copol, you have the cable that runs from the shutter to the back. What runs from the FP to the Back and does it have to be wireless or can there be a hard connection as with a Copol.

I'll let Doug answer this one from his hands on experience.

Lance
    LANCE SCHAD - Digital Transitions - Phase One,Mamiya | Leaf,Arca-Swiss,Cambo, Profoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lance

Many thanks. I know you are busy.

I AM IN SHOCK

8k if I do my math to use the shutter with 5 R lenses

Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The prices may be high, but they're far from shocking.

Check out the cost of a Rodenstock electronic shutter at B&H. You'd pay about five thousand dollars for one lens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Stephen.
    Thanks. As much as I have wanted and waited for this FP it's a bit more than I anticipated.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Paul
    $5,460 is for the MPU,RC &FP which are the base components of the system, the rest is in remounting your lenses.
    Do you really need to remount all your focal lengths at once? You could still use your other lenses with the regular adapter and normal tubes.
    The nice thing about this system is the flexibility, you are not actually modifying the mount, but just utilizing different size adapter tubes.
    For those who are not familiar with the way the Arca-Swiss R-Bayonet system works take a look at the below illustration of the main components: Lens Board, Tube that is matched to focal length of lens, and then the 'rota-slide/mount' spacer tube.

Many are also not aware of the 141x141mm and 110x110mm R-Bayonet lens boards for Arca-Swiss view cameras. You simply just unmount your R-Bayonet lens panels with the Copal or CS shutter right onto your view camera.

More detailed information on Tech Cameras in general can be found on our websitehere
    Lance

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lance:

I don't want to sound like I am trying to shoot the messenger. I am not. You are just passing on the numbers. I appreciate that, and don't want to sound as if I am upset with you or DT. I am not.

Your point of converting only a few lens at time makes sense. I don't want to have a situation where I would be forced to take the FP out in the field due to need to use a lens that was not modified. Damage to the exposed FP would be very possible, even if the shutter opens when removed off the R camera. There would be issues with dirt dust, whatever.

Please try to understand my position. I am a fully 100% committed to the Arca camera. I have had knowledge of the the FP for a while and did not rumor it or pass it on to anyone else, as I appreciated the position of the people that trusted me to the knowledge. I still feel this is the single largest addition to the R camera since the rm3d family.

The cost of entry, is just a lot more than I had thought it would be, that's all. I understand I have to make a decision and move forward, done.

I can see the need for the price of the various pieces of gear to control the shutter and the cost of the shutter, I do have a problem with the cost of the lens tubes, and feel that Arca should be a bit more in tune with their current customers. I own 6 R mounted lenses, and the cost for those mount conversions is 3K, and to be honest, it's a ring. Its a metal ring, that I can take off and put on myself, once some measurements have been taken. That's how I understand it. It's the ring closest to the lens. I have taken this ring off many times. it is not that hard.

OK, I will move on. I understand as all of this equipment comes down to a personal decision of can you justify it against your cost of doing business. I will need to re think the entire issue.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to post the numbers. I want you to know my issues are not with DT or you. My earlier post was just a reflection of my emotions at the time.

Sincerely
    Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Paul, why remount the current R-mount lenses? As far as I can tell, the need for the FP would be for using DSLR lenses such as the TSE24 and/or getting faster shutter speeds.

I find that I have never wanted for faster shutter speeds, especially with the base ISO of 35 on the IQ180. So on the current R-mount lenses, aren't you just adding weight, bulk, and complexity, not to mention taking out the use of Rotaslide/Rotamount?

Now, if I wanted to use a Canon TSE 17 or 24, then the FP would make sense, am I missing something?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I love technology....Arca modernized their portfolio of existing products, and I may buy into the new offerings on some of my lenses. BUT I can't help wondering why I may do this as the conversions will not make my images any better other than the ability to stand further away from my camera. To be honest my rig (Arca Rm3di plus H5D50 plus expensive lenses) is so expensive that I feel obligated to stand close to it fearing that some curiosity seeker will knock it over. Unfortunately my rig draws crowds which interferes with my concentration while attempting to manufacture the best image possible, and I don't like being rude....no Lady it's not a Nikon!
    Stanley
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jagsiva View Post
    Paul, why remount the current R-mount lenses? As far as I can tell, the need for the FP would be for using DSLR lenses such as the TSE24 and/or getting faster shutter speeds.

I find that I have never wanted for faster shutter speeds, especially with the base ISO of 35 on the IQ180. So on the current R-mount lenses, aren't you just adding weight, bulk, and complexity, not to mention taking out the use of Rotaslide/Rotamount?

Now, if I wanted to use a Canon TSE 17 or 24, then the FP would make sense, am I missing something?
    I would tend to agree. The FP is there for a variety of applications, most of which don't seem (from my point of view, feel free to correct me) to apply to you:
    - longterm safeguard against the eventual loss of copal as a supplier for shutters (along with the Arca CS)
    - backup in case a given lens leaf shutter fails in the field
    - allowance for unusual lenses not currently usable (vintage brass lenses, macro/englarger/microscope lenses, Canon TS lenses, Nikon lenses, etc)
    - option to trigger remotely (e.g. if the camera is mounted overhead, out of reach, or you don't want to be near it for whatever reason*)
    - availability of higher shutter speeds

Notably, adding an FP does not require you to permanently change mounts. After the initial purchase/setup you can swap between FP and no-FP by simply removing one ring, and putting the other on. The high cost of the ring is largely because the goal is to maintain the crazy-high level of focus precision (i.e. maintain your same focus-offset) whether you are using the FP or not.

What is the main reason you would be interested?

Alternatively, with the newly announced Arca Universalis you could use the FP without needing the new lens rings, since you'd simply remove the lens from it's rings and put it straight on the Arca lens board (they make an Arca lens board which will directly take the R-mount lenses). This would not have been a suggestion I would have made to you (as a primarily in-the-field user) with the large/heavy Arca M line, but the weight of the Universalis is quite low.

Anyway, the system is becoming even more complete and opening up some truly great possibilities.

*80mp back + German Glass + Arca FP + Movement = Selfies?
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jagsiva View Post

I was looking for the ability to get 1/3 and 1/2 stops with a modern style shutter. I feel the with a CCD there can be a difference if you could shoot between for example 1/15 and 1/30th. It's not as easy to push a CCD as a CMOS chip. If I was using a CMOS chip with greater DR especially in the shadows, this may not be as important.

Plus many of my Copol shutters are not that accurate.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Paul/Doug,

thanks for the detailed responses. I agree, this does not quite apply to me. I do find that with the Rodie lenses, I am usually at f8/9 and just vary my exposure time for the most part, and check the histogram for exposure.

Ability to use the TSE 17 is tempting, but not at the cost of portability and simplicity. While there are aspects of redundancy here, you do introduce more electronics, batteries, cables etc. Another unknown is the WIFI between RC and MPU. I would think this is based on some form of NFC, but NFC was not really designed for sustained, ongoing connections. I know the IQ2 series is using it, but would be interesting to see how stable it is.

Of most interest to me in all the bits that have been announced is the new Cloud Module and its ability to provide focus distances at a more granular level. I do feel that we are not fully exploiting the refinement in the R-mount helical with focus charts and the two versions of the eModule Cloud released to date.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post
    I was looking for the ability to get 1/3 and 1/2 stops with a modern style shutter. I feel the with a CCD there can be a difference if you could shoot between for example 1/15 and 1/30th. It's not as easy to push a CCD as a CMOS chip. If I was using a CMOS chip with greater DR especially in the shadows, this may not be as important.

Plus many of my Copal shutters are not that accurate.

Paul
    That's reasonable. It would accomplish this goal for you as the aperture control on the lens would remain physically fixed (and therefore by definition entirely repeatable and precise) and the shutter speed could be controlled very accurately in small steps.

In fact with both the FP and CS the expectation is 1/4th of a stop control. But in deeper conversations with Arca this is an artificial limit rather than an absolute physical-control limitation. It's very possible that the final unit could be made to accurately achieve much finer changes in exposure, and the main question will be whether there is any value in, e.g. 1/5th or 1/10th of a stop increments, as compared to the increased UI complexity and slower operation of such a fine-grain adjustment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RodK View Post
    A comment. The Arca-Swiss shutter can fire at a rate of 1/250 in a #1 shutter and when the lens is wide open. When you stop down the time is actually much quicker than 1/250 when the aperture is closed down.
    Rod
    Sorry Rod, you lost me - the CS shutter unit has a published max. speed of 1/250s - stopping-down obviously reduces the amount of transmitted light (all other things being equal), but how does it physically increase the top shutter speed?

Jim

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by f8orbust View Post
    Sorry Rod, you lost me - the CS shutter unit has a published max. speed of 1/250s - stopping-down obviously reduces the amount of transmitted light (all other things being equal), but how does it physically increase the top shutter speed?

Jim
    The shutter opens from a closed state, continues opening until the entire lens opening is shown, and then starts closing again. So the size of the aperture and the copal-size being covered dictates how large of an opening it has to reveal - i.e. how far it has to go before starting to reclose. You could, on every shutter speed, have the shutter open 100% and close 100%, but for an f/22 exposure you'd find that most of that motion was wasted, since after a few microseconds the shutter was opening into an area which was being blocked from seeing light by the aperture.

Said differently: the absolute physical speed at which the shutter is operating is the same, but it only has to go part of the way.

Since the 1/250th spec is for full aperture with a Copal 1 lens, it's very likely the max speed relevant to most users of this forum will be significantly faster. But I'd wait for final testing and a production unit before making any assumptions about how much faster.
    Last edited by dougpeterson; 19th September 2014 at 08:51.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've updated our article to include the Arca Swiss Universalis and Arca Swiss rail attachment.

Post Thanks / Like

Doug, rereading your advice above I note this:

Simply remount your lenses (which are currently in Copal and Rollei shutter mounts) into Arca CS mounts

I understand what a CS is, but I am not sure what the term "CS mount" means. Rollei and Copal shutters mount to flat boards. In the same spirit, I would expect to keep using the Arca 110 mm boards and just swap out the Rollei and Copal shutters. Does the CS mount to my boards or is there some other expensive component (a CS mount) that needs to be added?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Rod,

On the F Universalis, with a Sony A7R mounted on it, what kind of "short focal lengths" (press release: The reduced distance between the front and rear standards makes it possible to use very short focal length lenses, ideal for architectural photography) would we be talking about? Canon 17mm shift? If so, what sort of additional usable movements would be possible with the F Universalis?

Thanks.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm sure you'd have the option of mounting into a flat 110 board. But I'd recommend mounting into an Arca R lens mount since you could then easily use it on either an M or R (or F or Univeralis) camera.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw the Universalis at the Photokina yesterday. I even got a little "tour" of the beast by Martin Vogt himself. Call me impressed !
    This thing is tiny ! When you see the pictures, you think "ok, it's one of those enormous view cameras". But not at all. It's actually very lightweight (about 1kg without lens or digiback), which is similar to a Factum (!). Acording to Martin, this camera is made to be taken outside in the field, just as an Rm3Di or Factum.
    And the versatility is mind boggling ! By adding a little adapter, you can use either Arca-Swiss R lenses (yay!), or for example Hassi V lenses (the lens needs a shutter). At the other end: it can be a Phase one back, or your Sony Alpha 7R, just by changing a little interface piece.
    And you get movements (precision of those is Arca-style, of course). Just Wow !
    If I didn't already have a Factum, I would seriously consider a Universalis instead, as you have so many options. One (minor) drawback is that if you keep the thing ready for action, it's a bit awkward to transport. But of course, if you dismount it, it gets really small and flat.

Another tidbit of information I got was that the new Cloud DM module requires the dEX module. There's no display on the new cloud, so you read the focusing distance on the display of the dEx.

All in all, great new ways of spending $$$ on Arca stuff :-) Thanks again to Martin for taking time to show me his new creations...
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

:-D I saw it too.

I don´t ask the question there beacuse i was fixed on the Rm3Di...: Is it possible to use the new CFV-50c Digipack and also Analog 4x5inch Film on this System ?

Post Thanks / Like

Well, the Universalis really is lightweight but a 'naked' Factum is still lighter.

You can use a 4x5 back on the Universalis with the right rear element, or use one on a Rl3di too (not on the rm3di).
    Last edited by Frederic; 22nd September 2014 at 03:10. Reason: missing word

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gmfotografie View Post
    ... Is it possible to use the new CFV-50c Digipack ... on this System ?
    From ground: yes. You should be possible to use it with an V-mount-adapter.

But I asked at Hasselblad:
    And they said me, that the CFV has no connections for use with technical-cameras originally (trigger normally via intern contacts? ).

There must be a technical department at Hasselblad which could rebuild it for the older Hasselblads (with them you need some cables outside, too) - and with this rebuild you should really could use it with your technical-camera.

But the guys at photokina couldn't tell me a date when the rebuilding is possible/starts and they didn't know a price for it. So I think you have to wait a while and / or ask your dealer for more information.

Post Thanks / Like

okay thank you.. i have also contacted my local siupporter to check this. interessting questions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Universalis, will have the same feature/function as the larger DSLR2. The DSLR2 is a M2 configured with featured to allow it to work with a DSLR mount.

I recently was able to use the DSLR2 with a A7r, and loved it.

As pointed out, to a R mount lens owner, it's a easy transition.

Now with the FP in addition, it looks any lens could work, as long as Arca makes a mount and sync to the eDx module. I am sure more will come over time.

The fully configured DSLR2 actually felt heavier than it really was, it surprised me to find it did weight any more than a rm3di, with a back and lens installed.

Now with the lighter Universalis you have a great option, for either DSLR, A7r, or Digital Back. From looking at the various pictures of the Universalis, it appears to have the same layout as the M2/DSLR2 in regards to tilt shift, rise fall and similar large control knobs. More than likely it's sharing the same base rail as the M2/DSLR2.

Great idea and it now adds quite a fork in the road of decision.

The only real issue I had with the M2/DSLR2 was that the widest lens was the 32mm Rod HR-W (which I don't own). I was not able to use it with my 28 Rod, for infinity is just a tad out of reach. The 35XL and 40 HR-W were the widest lenses I used, both worked great.

I believe that if you add the FP shutter to the Universalis then you are again limited to the 32mm HR-W as widest lens.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by weinlamm View Post
    From ground: yes. You should be possible to use it with an V-mount-adapter.

But I asked at Hasselblad:
    And they said me, that the CFV has no connections for use with technical-cameras originally (trigger normally via intern contacts? ).

There must be a technical department at Hasselblad which could rebuild it for the older Hasselblads (with them you need some cables outside, too) - and with this rebuild you should really could use it with your technical-camera.

But the guys at photokina couldn't tell me a date when the rebuilding is possible/starts and they didn't know a price for it. So I think you have to wait a while and / or ask your dealer for more information.
    Go to the HASSELBLAD datasheet for the CFV-50c , Page 4 , and you will see
    how the CFV-50c connects to HASSELBLAD and VIEW CAMERAS (also TECH CAMERAS) . No rework required . As far as I can see the CFV-50c connects the
    same way as the CFV-50 does . Anything else would not make sense .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post
    I believe that if you add the FP shutter to the Universalis then you are again limited to the 32mm HR-W as widest lens.

Paul
    But since the FP is not a camera, it's a module, you can simply remove it and slap on a 28HR in either a Copal shutter or Arca Swiss CS shutter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dougpeterson View Post
    But since the FP is not a camera, it's a module, you can simply remove it and slap on a 28HR in either a Copal shutter or Arca Swiss CS shutter.
    I understand the FP is a module, but my point was I don't think you can use the FP on a 28mm Rodenstock in the Universalis, widest lens is the 32 HR-W. Not even sure if the 35XL works either. Since I have only the information that is on the web, I may have this totally wrong.

The issue I had with the DSLR2 and the 28 HR was that you could not get the lens close enough for infinity focus. It was about 1/8" of an inch too far away. This may have also been fixed with the Universalis with the newer design.

The FP works supposedly works fine on the 28mm HR or 23 HR in the R cameras, rm3di, etc.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jotloob View Post
    Go to the HASSELBLAD datasheet for the CFV-50c , Page 4 , and you will see
    how the CFV-50c connects to HASSELBLAD and VIEW CAMERAS (also TECH CAMERAS) . No rework required . As far as I can see the CFV-50c connects the
    same way as the CFV-50 does . Anything else would not make sense .
    Ok. I will have a look.
    But this was the (offical?) answer from Hasselblad at Photokina.
    Question: Can I use this back with my Cambo?
    Answer: "Won't work - it needs a rebuild from our 'special department' because of the connections. Same as for the older Hasselblad-cameras".

I never had (really) a Hasselblad or a CFV in my hand - so I can't verify it. The part with the "trigger normally via intern contacts?" was a presumption from me because I hadn't seen any cables between camera and the CFV-back.

But I think you are right:
    Digital backs

Quote Originally Posted by Datasheet
    View camera compatibility:
    Mechanical shutters controlled via flash sync, electronic shutters controlled by Phocus.
    But I can't understand the answer at Photokina after reading the data... I only can recommend to test it at an dealer before buying. I think I will do...

Post Thanks / Like

Anybody?

On the F Universalis, with a Sony A7R mounted on it, what kind of "short focal lengths" (press release: The reduced distance between the front and rear standards makes it possible to use very short focal length lenses, ideal for architectural photography) would we be talking about? Canon 17mm shift? If so, what sort of additional usable movements would be possible with the F Universalis?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by NoBob View Post
    Anybody?

Thanks.
    With an FP shutter, and the Canon mount and eDx module, you should be easily able to use the Canon TS-E's. Flange focal distance is not a problem as the lens are meant to be used with cameras with a mirror box. It's just the electronic communication that needs to work.

With R mount lenses, you should be able to go from the 32HR-W and up. No 28mm or 23mm as the focal distance needed is too close, with either a A7r or digital back mounted.

I believe you can use the 35XL Schneider as long as you don't have the FP shutter in use. I know you can use the 35XL on the DSLR2 (which is the M2 big brother to the Universalis) with a A7r with no problem.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Paul,

With the A7R, Canon 24mm and 17mm shift, any idea what other movements, and amount of movement, would be possible?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thinking about it a bit more,

If you have the TS-E's 24mm and 17mm, I am not sure you would really gain much, from the built in movements of the lenses.

The metabones adapter for Canon gives you the ability to use these 2 excellent optics for a lot less on the A7r.

Where the Universalis is going to be a benefit would be in using the R lenses on the A7r and the TS-E lenses on a Medium Format back, like the IQ250, much like what the Hcam allows.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

On the universalis, do you think you can swap a digital back and an Alpha 7R (for example) and keep the focus the same ?
    It could be nice way to use the Sony's live view and once the lens is focused using LV, put the digital back in and take a high res image. I suspect the mechanism to hold the camera / back is not accurate enough for this, but it would be cool !

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by miska View Post
    On the universalis, do you think you can swap a digital back and an Alpha 7R (for example) and keep the focus the same ?
    It could be nice way to use the Sony's live view and once the lens is focused using LV, put the digital back in and take a high res image. I suspect the mechanism to hold the camera / back is not accurate enough for this, but it would be cool !
    Given that Arca are no less anal than Alpa about image plane tolerances, I suspect that it's unlikely that you could swap like that without physical calibration.
    Last edited by GrahamWelland; 24th September 2014 at 13:42.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Paul,

Any idea how to add diagonal movement to the Canon shift lenses? Was hoping Arca Swiss would enable it.

Wish I could get some extra movements for dealing with medium-rise buildings shot in two point perspective.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

From talking to Rod Klukas today, you could mount the TS-E's in the Universalis, but the problem is you have to fire both a shutter and the aperture in the TS-E. If you mount a Digital Back, you could use the FS (Arca Focal shutter) and the MPU and R/C to control the operation. The electronics in the MPU and R/C would work both the Arca FS and the aperture in the TS-E.

But with a A7r, you are going to use the shutter in the camera and thus would have an additional sync issue, between the A7r, and the MPU and R/C. Not sure how that would work or if it would work.

Using the TS-E lens and a digital back, on the Univeralis, you could work with both the shift in the TS-E and the back shift to come up with a very good solution.

The FS is going to need both the MPU and R/C as the MPU can only fire the shutter at 1/125 from the shutter release button on the MPU. The R/C gives you the ability to set any shutter speed and fire the shutter from as far as 30 feet away.

When the TS-E is used with a digital back it seems the R/C can control both the aperture on the TS-E and the FS shutter speed. At least that is how I understand it.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for looking into it Paul.

Post Thanks / Like

Specs and pricing for the different components :
    arca-swiss-system-dex