The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Arca Swiss Photokina 2014: dEx, FP, CS, DM

f8orbust

All looks kinda interesting - would like to see a picture of everything hooked up - simply from the number of modules, ports and cables required a picture of an octopus comes to mind. Can't help but think this sort of thing needs a return to first principles (e.g. FPS) rather than trying to reverse-engineer everything to fit. Kudos to A/S for trying though (but already the talk of mount changes and shutter swaps makes my wallet shiver, and I don't even own A/S).

A shame the CS tops out at 1/250 sec - even the old Rollei one for Copal 0 could hit 1/500.

Jim

Paul2660

:D

I guess the next step is we wait to be told if a remount is needed... I sure hope none is needed.

Also it'd be interesting to know the size/bulk of the power/control unit.
All the conversations I had with Arca on this, were that the current lenses would not need to be remounted, for use with the FP unit. The leaf shutter would obviously as the copol is removed.

If they changed this, and now want to re-mount all the lenses, I guess my initial enthusiasm is not there. Not going to remount 6 lenses probably at a cost of at least $900.00 each. I base this on the cost to mount a lens currently in US dollars.

Paul

Paul2660

Re: Arca Swiss Photokina 2014: dEx, FP, CS, DM, RC

The FP and CS shutter units connect to the dEX and is controlled using the RC (wireless remote control).
That answers one of the top questions. Thanks
Can you elaborate on if the FP requires a new lens mount?

Paul

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Re: Arca Swiss Photokina 2014: dEx, FP, CS, DM, RC

That answers one of the top questions. Thanks
Can you elaborate on if the FP requires a new lens mount?
Absolutely, but not today! :)

I'll be back in about 24 hours with answers to every question here. But for now I have to join some Phase One colleagues for a beer.

gerald.d

Gerald,

As the other poster said, looks like you'd remove the spacer ring that is in place when not using the Rotaslide or Rotamount. From what I have read, the FP allows rotating the back so it would not require the rot amount anyway.
Ah OK, that sounds pretty cool.

I'm not familiar with the "spacer ring", nor Rotaslide/mount - will do some reading on it.

Thanks.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Paul2660

Gerald:

As it tends to be hard to find "web info" on the Arca R line. Just wanted to add this to save you some time.

Arca makes a rotaslide adapter, which allows you have the back and a ground glass mounted on a large sliding plate. I need to dig up a picture I have of it somewhere. I never got one due to the extra size and weight. However it works pretty similar to the Kapture Group sliding adapter.

All Acra R mount lenses, the mounting ring closes to the lens should have "remove for rotaslide" stamped on it. This ring corresponds to the width taken up by the rotaslide, so if you don't have it mounted, then you need to ring installed to give the extra space.

It was always my understanding that Acra would allow the FP shutter unit to take up the same "space" taken up by the Rotaslide" ring. I believe on all lenses this ring is the same size. But I need to check that. Edit: The Rotaslide ring on my 28HR and 35SK appears to be the same, the Rotaslide ring on my 40-HR-W and 60SK is taller so the rings are not all the same size.
After this ring, then you can get all types of different sized rings that make up the rest of the mount.

So hopefully all one needed to do was just unscrew the rotaslide ring. However Frederick's conversation with Martin, implies to me that Acra found they couldn't make this work, so they have decided to make new mount for all lenses that would be used with the shutter module.

I strongly hope that is not the case, for it takes me out for now as I can't afford to remount all my lenses, and I for one don't relish shipping them all to France anyway.

Paul

stngoldberg

Hi Paul,
Your information is correct with one exception. The Schneider 120mm does not come with a rotaslide, but does have a spacer that you attach between the camera back and the digital back.
To add to the lack of uniformity ( which is very typical of Arca IMHO), the 210mm Schneider requires a rotaslide and a spacer for proper focus as does my 300mm Fujinon. The spacers for all three lenses are all different lengths which makes for a very cumbersome transportation situation.
I don't want to appear negative as the system performs brilliantly and the focus with all of the lenses is dead nuts accurate using the focus cards that are supplied
Stanley

Paul2660

Stanley

Thanks for the info. I stop at the old 90mm right now. The newer 90 hr-sw also has the back spacer. Like the 120mm but is not as thick.

Paul

weinlamm

I wanted to come to photokina and 'play a little bit' at the Arca-stand. But now it's perhaps very intersting to me...

I'm Cambo-user and very happy with it. But I looked a little bit to the Arca-side because of the tilt-option.
But now it's more interesting. Damn... :D

jagsiva

Gerald:

Edit: The Rotaslide ring on my 28HR and 35SK appears to be the same, the Rotaslide ring on my 40-HR-W and 60SK is taller so the rings are not all the same size. [/I]

Paul
Paul, I checked my lenses and in case of the 23HR for example, the spacer ring appears taller, but the threads are slightly different as well. I have always thought that the ring that is labelled "remove for rotaslide/rotamount" was always the same offset, otherwise, the focus charts would not work when used with either the rotamount or rotaslide.

I do use all my lenses, including the 23HR without the ring, and they are all fine, so I would think that the rings are the same hight.

No point assuming here, we'll find out soon enough I'm sure.

Paul2660

From some posts on LuLa, same subject, it appears that a new lens mount is not required. A different adapter ring, which pricing has not been released for yet. This is great news.

Thanks again to DT/Doug for getting the information on this out.

Paul

Paul2660

Interesting news.

Looks like each lens, will need a new "lens tube". Even after using an rm3di for almost 3 years now, I am not sure exactly what that is.

Each lens will need to be measured, then Arca will make the tube, and I guess each tube will be unique to your individual lens. If you use the shutter, you put on the new tube and if you are going to use the copol, then you would use the "original" tube.

Hopefully more pictures may show up later during the week.

Sadly, it appears the widest lens will be the 32mm Rod. That part hurts as I love my 28mm HR.

With 6 lenses, I can see the solution getting pretty expensive. Not sure what the cost of tube will be, but as you will need one per lens, that could easily get up to 1.5K (for say 5 lenses), shutter estimated at 2K U.S and then the cost of the controller?

Paul

Frederic

The first ring/tube on the left is the rotamount spacer, the second one is the focus/calibration spacer, for lack of a better term. It was my understanding that part would need to be shortened to accommodate for the FP extra depth.

Paul2660

The first ring/tube on the left is the rotamount spacer, the second one is the focus/calibration spacer, for lack of a better term. It was my understanding that part would need to be shortened to accommodate for the FP extra depth.
That makes sense. That ring is different for each lens (the 35 SK) doesn't even have it. So in the field it should be an easy change out. Just a matter of having the ring from Arca.

It's too bad on the 23 and 28. Hope they can figure out a solution for those lenses in the future.

Paul

RodK

Yes, there is a new 'normal' mounting required.
You will send your lens to me, in the US or France, for measurement and another check. I will do this and return the lenses to customer for use as is. We will then produce a custom, for your lens, mounting tube, for use with the FPS shutter.
When not employing the FPS shutter, you would switch back to the original tube.
The FPS mounting tube will cost $350.00 for each lens, approximately.

32mm is widest lens for the FPS.

An initial setup is the shutter, MPU(Power unit and Processor), and RCU(REmote control unit).

The RCU and MPU can control both the FPS or the Central or Leaf shutter for the lens.

Hope this clarifies some questions.

alajuela

Yes, there is a new 'normal' mounting required.
You will send your lens to me, in the US or France, for measurement and another check. I will do this and return the lenses to customer for use as is. We will then produce a custom, for your lens, mounting tube, for use with the FPS shutter.
When not employing the FPS shutter, you would switch back to the original tube.
The FPS mounting tube will cost $350.00 for each lens, approximately.

32mm is widest lens for the FPS.

An initial setup is the shutter, MPU(Power unit and Processor), and RCU(REmote control unit).

The RCU and MPU can control both the FPS or the Central or Leaf shutter for the lens.

Hope this clarifies some questions.
This is Great!!!!!!!!! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :clap: :clap: :clap:- What set up will I need just FPS for my F and M camera?

Toooooo Coooool !!!!! :cool::cool::cool:

Phil

cunim

Getting lost. I have half a dozen lenses for the Monolith 6x9, 210-55 mm. Four of these have Rollei shutters and two Copal. What I want is a wireless remote replacement for the LCS, with aperture, exposure, and any other functions I can get (bracket, delay etc.). Ideally, I would just open the Copals and Rolleis fully and leave the lenses in the Arca 110 boards. Or maybe I need to remove the Rolleis but no biggie. Add the FPS to the Monolith (I assume I has a local battery of some kind), get the bits of electrical kit for remote control, and that should be it. I can finally put my Monolith 12' up and control everything from the ground. Or not. Can I get there from here?