The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Arca Swiss Photokina 2014: dEx, FP, CS, DM

weinlamm

... Is it possible to use the new CFV-50c Digipack ... on this System ?
From ground: yes. You should be possible to use it with an V-mount-adapter.

But I asked at Hasselblad:
And they said me, that the CFV has no connections for use with technical-cameras originally (trigger normally via intern contacts? ). :eek:

There must be a technical department at Hasselblad which could rebuild it for the older Hasselblads (with them you need some cables outside, too) - and with this rebuild you should really could use it with your technical-camera.

But the guys at photokina couldn't tell me a date when the rebuilding is possible/starts and they didn't know a price for it. So I think you have to wait a while and / or ask your dealer for more information.

Paul2660

The Universalis, will have the same feature/function as the larger DSLR2. The DSLR2 is a M2 configured with featured to allow it to work with a DSLR mount.

I recently was able to use the DSLR2 with a A7r, and loved it.

As pointed out, to a R mount lens owner, it's a easy transition.

Now with the FP in addition, it looks any lens could work, as long as Arca makes a mount and sync to the eDx module. I am sure more will come over time.

The fully configured DSLR2 actually felt heavier than it really was, it surprised me to find it did weight any more than a rm3di, with a back and lens installed.

Now with the lighter Universalis you have a great option, for either DSLR, A7r, or Digital Back. From looking at the various pictures of the Universalis, it appears to have the same layout as the M2/DSLR2 in regards to tilt shift, rise fall and similar large control knobs. More than likely it's sharing the same base rail as the M2/DSLR2.

Great idea and it now adds quite a fork in the road of decision.

The only real issue I had with the M2/DSLR2 was that the widest lens was the 32mm Rod HR-W (which I don't own). I was not able to use it with my 28 Rod, for infinity is just a tad out of reach. The 35XL and 40 HR-W were the widest lenses I used, both worked great.

I believe that if you add the FP shutter to the Universalis then you are again limited to the 32mm HR-W as widest lens.

Paul

jotloob

Subscriber Member
From ground: yes. You should be possible to use it with an V-mount-adapter.

But I asked at Hasselblad:
And they said me, that the CFV has no connections for use with technical-cameras originally (trigger normally via intern contacts? ). :eek:

There must be a technical department at Hasselblad which could rebuild it for the older Hasselblads (with them you need some cables outside, too) - and with this rebuild you should really could use it with your technical-camera.

But the guys at photokina couldn't tell me a date when the rebuilding is possible/starts and they didn't know a price for it. So I think you have to wait a while and / or ask your dealer for more information.
Go to the HASSELBLAD datasheet for the CFV-50c , Page 4 , and you will see
how the CFV-50c connects to HASSELBLAD and VIEW CAMERAS (also TECH CAMERAS) . No rework required . As far as I can see the CFV-50c connects the
same way as the CFV-50 does . Anything else would not make sense .

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I believe that if you add the FP shutter to the Universalis then you are again limited to the 32mm HR-W as widest lens.

Paul
But since the FP is not a camera, it's a module, you can simply remove it and slap on a 28HR in either a Copal shutter or Arca Swiss CS shutter.

Paul2660

But since the FP is not a camera, it's a module, you can simply remove it and slap on a 28HR in either a Copal shutter or Arca Swiss CS shutter.
I understand the FP is a module, but my point was I don't think you can use the FP on a 28mm Rodenstock in the Universalis, widest lens is the 32 HR-W. Not even sure if the 35XL works either. Since I have only the information that is on the web, I may have this totally wrong.

The issue I had with the DSLR2 and the 28 HR was that you could not get the lens close enough for infinity focus. It was about 1/8" of an inch too far away. This may have also been fixed with the Universalis with the newer design.

The FP works supposedly works fine on the 28mm HR or 23 HR in the R cameras, rm3di, etc. :angel:

Paul

weinlamm

Go to the HASSELBLAD datasheet for the CFV-50c , Page 4 , and you will see
how the CFV-50c connects to HASSELBLAD and VIEW CAMERAS (also TECH CAMERAS) . No rework required . As far as I can see the CFV-50c connects the
same way as the CFV-50 does . Anything else would not make sense .
Ok. I will have a look.
But this was the (offical?) answer from Hasselblad at Photokina.
Question: Can I use this back with my Cambo?
Answer: "Won't work - it needs a rebuild from our 'special department' because of the connections. Same as for the older Hasselblad-cameras".

I never had (really) a Hasselblad or a CFV in my hand - so I can't verify it. The part with the "trigger normally via intern contacts?" was a presumption from me because I hadn't seen any cables between camera and the CFV-back.

But I think you are right:
Digital backs

Datasheet said:
View camera compatibility:
Mechanical shutters controlled via flash sync, electronic shutters controlled by Phocus.
But I can't understand the answer at Photokina after reading the data... :confused: I only can recommend to test it at an dealer before buying. I think I will do... :rolleyes:

NoBob

Anybody?

On the F Universalis, with a Sony A7R mounted on it, what kind of "short focal lengths" (press release: The reduced distance between the front and rear standards makes it possible to use very short focal length lenses, ideal for architectural photography) would we be talking about? Canon 17mm shift? If so, what sort of additional usable movements would be possible with the F Universalis?

Thanks.

Paul2660

Anybody?

On the F Universalis, with a Sony A7R mounted on it, what kind of "short focal lengths" (press release: The reduced distance between the front and rear standards makes it possible to use very short focal length lenses, ideal for architectural photography) would we be talking about? Canon 17mm shift? If so, what sort of additional usable movements would be possible with the F Universalis?

Thanks.
With an FP shutter, and the Canon mount and eDx module, you should be easily able to use the Canon TS-E's. Flange focal distance is not a problem as the lens are meant to be used with cameras with a mirror box. It's just the electronic communication that needs to work.

With R mount lenses, you should be able to go from the 32HR-W and up. No 28mm or 23mm as the focal distance needed is too close, with either a A7r or digital back mounted.

I believe you can use the 35XL Schneider as long as you don't have the FP shutter in use. I know you can use the 35XL on the DSLR2 (which is the M2 big brother to the Universalis) with a A7r with no problem.

Paul

NoBob

Thanks Paul,

With the A7R, Canon 24mm and 17mm shift, any idea what other movements, and amount of movement, would be possible?

Paul2660

Thinking about it a bit more,

If you have the TS-E's 24mm and 17mm, I am not sure you would really gain much, from the built in movements of the lenses.

The metabones adapter for Canon gives you the ability to use these 2 excellent optics for a lot less on the A7r.

Where the Universalis is going to be a benefit would be in using the R lenses on the A7r and the TS-E lenses on a Medium Format back, like the IQ250, much like what the Hcam allows.

Paul

miska

On the universalis, do you think you can swap a digital back and an Alpha 7R (for example) and keep the focus the same ?
It could be nice way to use the Sony's live view and once the lens is focused using LV, put the digital back in and take a high res image. I suspect the mechanism to hold the camera / back is not accurate enough for this, but it would be cool !

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
On the universalis, do you think you can swap a digital back and an Alpha 7R (for example) and keep the focus the same ?
It could be nice way to use the Sony's live view and once the lens is focused using LV, put the digital back in and take a high res image. I suspect the mechanism to hold the camera / back is not accurate enough for this, but it would be cool !
Given that Arca are no less anal than Alpa about image plane tolerances, I suspect that it's unlikely that you could swap like that without physical calibration.

Last edited:

NoBob

Thanks Paul,

Any idea how to add diagonal movement to the Canon shift lenses? Was hoping Arca Swiss would enable it.

Wish I could get some extra movements for dealing with medium-rise buildings shot in two point perspective.

Paul2660

From talking to Rod Klukas today, you could mount the TS-E's in the Universalis, but the problem is you have to fire both a shutter and the aperture in the TS-E. If you mount a Digital Back, you could use the FS (Arca Focal shutter) and the MPU and R/C to control the operation. The electronics in the MPU and R/C would work both the Arca FS and the aperture in the TS-E.

But with a A7r, you are going to use the shutter in the camera and thus would have an additional sync issue, between the A7r, and the MPU and R/C. Not sure how that would work or if it would work.

Using the TS-E lens and a digital back, on the Univeralis, you could work with both the shift in the TS-E and the back shift to come up with a very good solution.

The FS is going to need both the MPU and R/C as the MPU can only fire the shutter at 1/125 from the shutter release button on the MPU. The R/C gives you the ability to set any shutter speed and fire the shutter from as far as 30 feet away.

When the TS-E is used with a digital back it seems the R/C can control both the aperture on the TS-E and the FS shutter speed. At least that is how I understand it.

Paul