Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Arca Swiss Photokina 2014: dEx, FP, CS, DM

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Arca Swiss Photokina 2014: dEx, FP, CS, DM

A slew of new products from Arca:

Arca Swiss FP - A modular Focal Plane Shutter option compatible with every Arca R and Arca M body. This is not a new separate body; it is an optional accessory for the current bodies.
    Arca Swiss CS - A modular, portable, Central Shutter option compatible with every Arca R and Arca M body.
    Arca Swiss Cloud DM - A modular, wireless distometer.
    Arca Swiss dEx - The brain/hub of all above accessories with wireless remote control.
    Arca Swiss Canon/Nikon Lens Mount - More info coming soon.

You can find more information at the links above. We, Digital Transitions, will be at Photokina with Arca Swiss and will be glad to provide answers to any questions you have. Please post them here or email me at [email protected].

Last edited by dougpeterson; 15th September 2014 at 05:40.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Arca Swiss Photokina 2014: dEx, FP, CS, DM

Whoa! Awesome....

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! I was expecting that they would come up with an Alpa FPS-like body, but this seems more interesting!

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by torger View Post
    Wow! I was expecting that they would come up with an Alpa FPS-like body, but this seems more interesting!
    You've been bugging for a viable portable, battery powered, electronic shutter solution to replace the still-viable-but-you-can-see-the-sun-setting Copal option.

Leaf shutter has always been valued for it's flash sync speed and for providing extremely little (effectively zero) vibration, enen on a lightweight tripod.

Arca has listened. They are very very rarely the first to the market with something, but when the come with something it's almost always very forward/backward/inter compatible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The FP looks so much smaller than the ALPA solution, and if the cloud DM works as advertised, would be just sweet.

The Universalis also looks very interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep... this could be it in the abscence of DHW's HS-1000. It shall be interesting to see pricing and if it will be adaptable for other systems than Arca-Swiss. Anyway, even if it's not "it", seeing progress is great.

For us budget-sensitive users I'm guessing that focal plane shutter is the way to go for all longer lenses, and possibly using a CS for one or two wides where the FP take up too much space. Only for Arca-Swiss users then of course. I'm guessing that the FP is thinner than Alpa's FPS? Knowing exactly how wide one can go with it is my main question.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Doug,
    Would you supply more detail, more pictures of the new FPS
    When will you have one in your hands for a demo?
    Stanley
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi

Will this work on a "F" camera, or only the Mono?

I would assume you mount a barrel lens and this goes on the back standard like a Sinar shutter - is that correct?

Also how does it trigger?

Has a price been assigned yet?

Thanks

Phil

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is a huge announcement for Arca users, glad to see it finally made the press. Just hope they can ship this year. It's been in the works a looooong time.

Sign me up for the FP, just hope Acra figured out any vibration issues.

Adding the leaf shutter to existing Copol lenses will probably add some cost, but long term may be worth it.

Love the fact the FP is a module and fits all existing cameras. More pics please.

I also wonder just how the FP shutter communicates to the back, hopefully it's not limited to just USB as that would limit tethering in the field (i.e. your USB is taken by tethered connection). I see they have a wifi controller, hopefully it will be possible to use this or the PC connection on the back.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

This all looks very cool.

One thing I'm struggling to get my head around - the FP is a module that can be attached to all existing cameras, yes? Does that not then change the flange distance?

In the ALPA world, that (slightly) limits the lens choice at the wider end, and is solved for focal lengths from 32mm and up by utilizing shorter barrel lenses.

How does this solution work in the Arca world?

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gerald.d View Post

One thing I'm struggling to get my head around - the FP is a module that can be attached to all existing cameras, yes? Does that not then change the flange distance?

In the ALPA world, that (slightly) limits the lens choice at the wider end, and is solved for focal lengths from 32mm and up by utilizing shorter barrel lenses.

Kind regards,

Gerald.
    This is a great question, I am assuming the user will remove one R mount ring from the lens, which brings the lens closer to the sensor. If you use the rotating back adapter or the sliding back adapter this is how you accommodate the extra width.

Each R mount lens has ring that says "remove for rotaslide", so if you take that ring off the lens comes closer to the sensor, but the sensor is pushed back the same distance by the rotaslide.

If that's not how it works, it will be interesting as like you point out, the ultra wides will not work, i.e. 28, 32 Rod 35SK, any maybe the 40 Rod.

It would have been nice for Arca to release some more info, more than just pics. Possibly a tech sheet that answers this question and also how the shutter makes the connection to the back?

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Kind regards,

Gerald.
    Last time I heard of it, it required existing R mounted lenses to be modified.
    Price was said to be in the 2000 EUR range, but I'm not sure which unit, FP or CS.

Post Thanks / Like

2000 Euros sounds about the ballpark for a Copal/electronic shutter swap, not for a change to barrel length.

Will be interesting to see this at Photokina. It's good to see another great MF company giving options to their customers, but lots of questions still to be answered.

Post Thanks / Like

That was for the unit, not the mount change...

Doug didn't mention them, but there will be 3 new flavors of "light" view cameras too (universalis).

++ When I say "mount change" I actually mean a new barrel length for existing R mounted lens, not a whole new mount system!
    Last edited by Frederic; 15th September 2014 at 08:46. Reason: clarification

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly what makes me wonder
    How to maintain focus to infinity without new lens mounts
    I think electronic shutters are the way forward in tech lenses so this idea looks great but why is there no real explanation on the implementation I wonder
    ?
    How

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kind regards,

Gerald.
    Gerald,

As the other poster said, looks like you'd remove the spacer ring that is in place when not using the Rotaslide or Rotamount. From what I have read, the FP allows rotating the back so it would not require the rot amount anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jagsiva View Post
    Gerald,

As the other poster said, looks like you'd remove the spacer ring that is in place when not using the Rotaslide or Rotamount. From what I have read, the FP allows rotating the back so it would not require the rot amount anyway.
    The FP was slightly larger than the rotamount/rotaslide/spacer (and can' be used with it), so R lenses had to be remounted anyway. Again, things may have changed since Martin told me about the system last June.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'll keep my fingers crossed, but looking at the picture on DT, it looks like it combines the adapter plate as well. So it would be the combined thickness of the adapter plate and the spacer ring.

Not sure how the mount could be changed as there is very little room between the rear element and sensor for WA lenses as it is. Beyond my knowledge level, but perhaps the Copal shutter comes out and saves some room? On the other hand, if the FP is for non-Copal-0 lenses like DSLR lenses, then the flange distance would be more anyway.

Will have to wait and see.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wow,
    I don't understand any of this!
    I have 6 lenses that are compatible with my Rm3di. My copal shutters are working fine, but assuming that I wanted to convert the lenses to FPS...what are my next steps...do I send in the lenses for a remount????

Stanley

Post Thanks / Like

I guess the next step is we wait to be told if a remount is needed... I sure hope none is needed.

Also it'd be interesting to know the size/bulk of the power/control unit.

Post Thanks / Like

All looks kinda interesting - would like to see a picture of everything hooked up - simply from the number of modules, ports and cables required a picture of an octopus comes to mind. Can't help but think this sort of thing needs a return to first principles (e.g. FPS) rather than trying to reverse-engineer everything to fit. Kudos to A/S for trying though (but already the talk of mount changes and shutter swaps makes my wallet shiver, and I don't even own A/S).

A shame the CS tops out at 1/250 sec - even the old Rollei one for Copal 0 could hit 1/500.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frederic View Post

I guess the next step is we wait to be told if a remount is needed... I sure hope none is needed.

Also it'd be interesting to know the size/bulk of the power/control unit.
    All the conversations I had with Arca on this, were that the current lenses would not need to be remounted, for use with the FP unit. The leaf shutter would obviously as the copol is removed.

If they changed this, and now want to re-mount all the lenses, I guess my initial enthusiasm is not there. Not going to remount 6 lenses probably at a cost of at least $900.00 each. I base this on the cost to mount a lens currently in US dollars.

Paul

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Arca Swiss Photokina 2014: dEx, FP, CS, DM, RC

Quote Originally Posted by alajuela View Post
    Also how does it trigger?
    The FP and CS shutter units connect to the dEX and is controlled using the RC (wireless remote control).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dougpeterson View Post
    The FP and CS shutter units connect to the dEX and is controlled using the RC (wireless remote control).
    That answers one of the top questions. Thanks
    Can you elaborate on if the FP requires a new lens mount?

Paul

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post
    That answers one of the top questions. Thanks
    Can you elaborate on if the FP requires a new lens mount?
    Absolutely, but not today!

I'll be back in about 24 hours with answers to every question here. But for now I have to join some Phase One colleagues for a beer.

Post Thanks / Like

Gerald,

Ah OK, that sounds pretty cool.

I'm not familiar with the "spacer ring", nor Rotaslide/mount - will do some reading on it.

Thanks.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Gerald:

As it tends to be hard to find "web info" on the Arca R line. Just wanted to add this to save you some time.

Arca makes a rotaslide adapter, which allows you have the back and a ground glass mounted on a large sliding plate. I need to dig up a picture I have of it somewhere. I never got one due to the extra size and weight. However it works pretty similar to the Kapture Group sliding adapter.

All Acra R mount lenses, the mounting ring closes to the lens should have "remove for rotaslide" stamped on it. This ring corresponds to the width taken up by the rotaslide, so if you don't have it mounted, then you need to ring installed to give the extra space.

It was always my understanding that Acra would allow the FP shutter unit to take up the same "space" taken up by the Rotaslide" ring. I believe on all lenses this ring is the same size. But I need to check that. Edit: The Rotaslide ring on my 28HR and 35SK appears to be the same, the Rotaslide ring on my 40-HR-W and 60SK is taller so the rings are not all the same size.
    After this ring, then you can get all types of different sized rings that make up the rest of the mount.

So hopefully all one needed to do was just unscrew the rotaslide ring. However Frederick's conversation with Martin, implies to me that Acra found they couldn't make this work, so they have decided to make new mount for all lenses that would be used with the shutter module.

I strongly hope that is not the case, for it takes me out for now as I can't afford to remount all my lenses, and I for one don't relish shipping them all to France anyway.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Paul,
    Your information is correct with one exception. The Schneider 120mm does not come with a rotaslide, but does have a spacer that you attach between the camera back and the digital back.
    To add to the lack of uniformity ( which is very typical of Arca IMHO), the 210mm Schneider requires a rotaslide and a spacer for proper focus as does my 300mm Fujinon. The spacers for all three lenses are all different lengths which makes for a very cumbersome transportation situation.
    I don't want to appear negative as the system performs brilliantly and the focus with all of the lenses is dead nuts accurate using the focus cards that are supplied
    Stanley

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Stanley

Thanks for the info. I stop at the old 90mm right now. The newer 90 hr-sw also has the back spacer. Like the 120mm but is not as thick.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I wanted to come to photokina and 'play a little bit' at the Arca-stand. But now it's perhaps very intersting to me...

I'm Cambo-user and very happy with it. But I looked a little bit to the Arca-side because of the tilt-option.
    But now it's more interesting. Damn...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post
    Gerald:

Edit: The Rotaslide ring on my 28HR and 35SK appears to be the same, the Rotaslide ring on my 40-HR-W and 60SK is taller so the rings are not all the same size. [/I]

Paul
    Paul, I checked my lenses and in case of the 23HR for example, the spacer ring appears taller, but the threads are slightly different as well. I have always thought that the ring that is labelled "remove for rotaslide/rotamount" was always the same offset, otherwise, the focus charts would not work when used with either the rotamount or rotaslide.

I do use all my lenses, including the 23HR without the ring, and they are all fine, so I would think that the rings are the same hight.

No point assuming here, we'll find out soon enough I'm sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

From some posts on LuLa, same subject, it appears that a new lens mount is not required. A different adapter ring, which pricing has not been released for yet. This is great news.

Thanks again to DT/Doug for getting the information on this out.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

That'd be great, what is the "adapter ring" though ? A part of the lens mount barrel ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Interesting news.

Looks like each lens, will need a new "lens tube". Even after using an rm3di for almost 3 years now, I am not sure exactly what that is.

Each lens will need to be measured, then Arca will make the tube, and I guess each tube will be unique to your individual lens. If you use the shutter, you put on the new tube and if you are going to use the copol, then you would use the "original" tube.

Hopefully more pictures may show up later during the week.

Sadly, it appears the widest lens will be the 32mm Rod. That part hurts as I love my 28mm HR.

With 6 lenses, I can see the solution getting pretty expensive. Not sure what the cost of tube will be, but as you will need one per lens, that could easily get up to 1.5K (for say 5 lenses), shutter estimated at 2K U.S and then the cost of the controller?

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

The first ring/tube on the left is the rotamount spacer, the second one is the focus/calibration spacer, for lack of a better term. It was my understanding that part would need to be shortened to accommodate for the FP extra depth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frederic View Post
    The first ring/tube on the left is the rotamount spacer, the second one is the focus/calibration spacer, for lack of a better term. It was my understanding that part would need to be shortened to accommodate for the FP extra depth.
    That makes sense. That ring is different for each lens (the 35 SK) doesn't even have it. So in the field it should be an easy change out. Just a matter of having the ring from Arca.

It's too bad on the 23 and 28. Hope they can figure out a solution for those lenses in the future.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes, there is a new 'normal' mounting required.
    You will send your lens to me, in the US or France, for measurement and another check. I will do this and return the lenses to customer for use as is. We will then produce a custom, for your lens, mounting tube, for use with the FPS shutter.
    When not employing the FPS shutter, you would switch back to the original tube.
    The FPS mounting tube will cost $350.00 for each lens, approximately.

32mm is widest lens for the FPS.

An initial setup is the shutter, MPU(Power unit and Processor), and RCU(REmote control unit).

The RCU and MPU can control both the FPS or the Central or Leaf shutter for the lens.

Hope this clarifies some questions.
    US Representative, Arca-Swiss International
    R-Line Technical Cameras, Large Format View Cameras, Tripod Heads D4, D4m, P1, P0, Z1, Z2, C1 Cube.
    http://www.rodklukas.com/arca-swiss 480-755-3364
    Instagram @arcaswissusa Facebook @arcaswissusa

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RodK View Post
    Yes, there is a new 'normal' mounting required.
    You will send your lens to me, in the US or France, for measurement and another check. I will do this and return the lenses to customer for use as is. We will then produce a custom, for your lens, mounting tube, for use with the FPS shutter.
    When not employing the FPS shutter, you would switch back to the original tube.
    The FPS mounting tube will cost $350.00 for each lens, approximately.

An initial setup is the shutter, MPU(Power unit and Processor), and RCU(REmote control unit).

The RCU and MPU can control both the FPS or the Central or Leaf shutter for the lens.

Hope this clarifies some questions.
    This is Great!!!!!!!!! - What set up will I need just FPS for my F and M camera?

Toooooo Coooool !!!!!

Phil

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RodK View Post

Rod,

I assume this limit is only for the tech lenses, if using DSLR lenses with the Nikon/Canon adapter, then wider lenses like the 17 or the 24 Canon TSE should work?

Cheers...

Post Thanks / Like

Getting lost. I have half a dozen lenses for the Monolith 6x9, 210-55 mm. Four of these have Rollei shutters and two Copal. What I want is a wireless remote replacement for the LCS, with aperture, exposure, and any other functions I can get (bracket, delay etc.). Ideally, I would just open the Copals and Rolleis fully and leave the lenses in the Arca 110 boards. Or maybe I need to remove the Rolleis but no biggie. Add the FPS to the Monolith (I assume I has a local battery of some kind), get the bits of electrical kit for remote control, and that should be it. I can finally put my Monolith 12' up and control everything from the ground. Or not. Can I get there from here?

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just got back from the Arca Swiss booth.

Wow.

Simply wow.

Will post all details tonight from hotel.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes please, Rod has been pretty silent so far, and I have to prepare the wallet before I get there on Friday

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just heard from Rod Klukas, US Arca rep. The FPS on the R camera does not have a 32mm limit as the widest lens. So you can use the 23 and 28mm Rodenstocks on the R cameras with a FPS.

The 32mm limit applies to the Universalis camera or a DSLR2 (M2)camera setup.

This is great news. Each lens that you want to use on a R camera with the FPS will still need the new style lens tube.

Paul
    Paul Caldwell
    [email protected]
    www.photosofarkansas.com

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very cool developments here. Eagerly watching to see how these next generation shutters work as Copal shutters are going the way of the dodo. Heck, I could even be tempted over to the Arca side by the CS shutters, support for real wides and tight integration with the DM. Now if they could only get that into the back as EXIF data ...

Looks like more spaghetti though. Such is the life of a tech camera user.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Teaser...

Writing it up now...

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I assume this limit is only for the tech lenses, if using DSLR lenses with the Nikon/Canon adapter, then wider lenses like the 17 or the 24 Canon TSE should work?

Cheers...
    Canon Lenses are the priority (including aperture control), and will not be limited to certain focal lengths (one could imagine very long/heavy lenses may stress the mount, but a lens support should solve that). Nikon is second highest priority. Maybe others in the future.

As clarified elsewhere the 23HR, 32HR and up can be used. The Schneider 28XL and 24XL are not compatible; all other Schneider lenses are compatible.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by alajuela View Post
    This is Great!!!!!!!!! - What set up will I need just FPS for my F and M camera?

Toooooo Coooool !!!!!

Phil
    The FP (focal plane unit), the dEx (the digital brain), and the RC (wireless remote control).

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cunim View Post
    Getting lost. I have half a dozen lenses for the Monolith 6x9, 210-55 mm. Four of these have Rollei shutters and two Copal. What I want is a wireless remote replacement for the LCS, with aperture, exposure, and any other functions I can get (bracket, delay etc.). Ideally, I would just open the Copals and Rolleis fully and leave the lenses in the Arca 110 boards. Or maybe I need to remove the Rolleis but no biggie. Add the FPS to the Monolith (I assume I has a local battery of some kind), get the bits of electrical kit for remote control, and that should be it. I can finally put my Monolith 12' up and control everything from the ground. Or not. Can I get there from here?
    You can get there from here! But not quite the way you described.

You don't need the FP. Simply remount your lenses (which are currently in Copal and Rollei shutter mounts) into Arca CS mounts and add the dEX (brain) and RC (wireless remote control) and you can control the aperture, shutter speed, and firing of every one of your lenses wirelessly. There is even powerful forms of bracketing, sequence, etc built into the remote.

Or instead of remounting the lenses into Arca CS mounts you can add an FP and control shutter speed and firing remotely. But you would not have control over aperture (since the lenses are still in their Rollei and Copal shutters). This is lower cost but does not provide as much functionality.
    Last edited by dougpeterson; 17th September 2014 at 11:17.

Post Thanks / Like

Had a very good and detailed explanation of this today on the stand. My bad, but sat at the bar now I can't remember the guy's name that I was talking with.

This is a very impressive solution. There's another part of this that don't think has been detailed yet - no idea what it's called, but the little thing that sits on the focussing rail and that when calibrated to infinity informs the RC what focus you're at when moving the rear standard up and down the rail. Very cool.

The cloud DM is brilliant.

There's an intriguing solution here just begging to be created.

Feed the measurement from the Cloud DM to a follow-focus unit geared up to your lens, and you have a totally remote controlled MF tech cam solution.

Alternatively, feed it to an Alpa FPS, which can control the focusing of certain lenses, and you have the same. Sadly, that won't ever happen!

As an aside - one mistake that both commentators on this thread, and the chap I was speaking with on the stand today made, was referring to the FP as the FPS

Read into that what you will

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes you caught me on that.

FP for the Acra. Not FPS.

Benn waiting almost a year for this so I did get a bit excited. Still am now that the details have been flushed out more.

Paul