The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

OTUS & the Alpa FPS

jagsiva

1. Has anyone tried the OTUS (55 or 85) on the FPS? Interested in how large the image circle was

2. Would the Canon mount provide a larger IC compared to the Nikon, given that the rear opening is larger on the canon EF mount?

Thanks in advance...

I am quite surprised that no one has ever bothered to test these. Perhaps there is no point to use the Otus with an MFDB via ALPA, since it is not convenient to get critical focus for shallow DOF.

For the wide angle lenses I can understand - you either obtain more angle of view for single exposures (e.g. Canon 17mm TS-E with IQ280), or obtain faster aperture for astrophotography (e.g. to-be-announced Sigma 24mm f1.4 Art or Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art with IQ250).

What would one need the Otus for, when we have the option of the new Rodenstock 90mm HR (yellow-banded)?

jagsiva

You're right. In fact, I should have my 90HR-SW next week.

The reason I ask is that with the new Arca announcement, and the possible availability of the Cloud module, focussing can be addressed. Of course, LV has always existed to support this as well. I have also seen several images with the Canon 85L 1.2. So certainly a possibility.

Until the OTUS line, I did not feel there was much of an advantage over my tech lenses, but the OTUS offers aperture along with other IQ qualities.

narikin

Yes, the Otus 55mm has been tested on the Alpa FPS of course. (and I own both, but just use the Otus on my A7R). The IC is not very big - just enough to cover 35mm FF really, with little to spare.

Why might you want to use an Otus when we have the 90mm HR Yellow band? (which I also own, gear slut) Answer: for the speed and aberration free super resolution at f1.4-f2.8. The 90HR starts at f5.6, of course. What is special about the 90HR is the amazing resolution across a big image circle, great for stitching and shifting. It is not really showing its best qualities on a straight shooting FPS, it's jaw dropping on the STC, MAX, XY, etc.

When an MF back with EVF-out jack and great live-view arrives, I might try again with the Otus on the FPS. I suspect the new 85mm Otus covers little more than 35mm frame too - but would be very happy to be wrong.

jagsiva

Yes, the Otus 55mm has been tested on the Alpa FPS of course. (and I own both, but just use the Otus on my A7R). The IC is not very big - just enough to cover 35mm FF really, with little to spare.

Why might you want to use an Otus when we have the 90mm HR Yellow band? (which I also own, gear slut) Answer: for the speed and aberration free super resolution at f1.4-f2.8. The 90HR starts at f5.6, of course. What is special about the 90HR is the amazing resolution across a big image circle, great for stitching and shifting. It is not really showing its best qualities on a straight shooting FPS, it's jaw dropping on the STC, MAX, XY, etc.

When an MF back with EVF-out jack and great live-view arrives, I might try again with the Otus on the FPS. I suspect the new 85mm Otus covers little more than 35mm frame too - but would be very happy to be wrong.
It is all need for speed, especially at ISO35. I likely will get both FL's but was not sure the Canon or Nikon mount was better for a tech cam.

The 90, should have it next week, and expect it to be sweet, but it is f5.6 and likely to be used mostly in the f7.1-9 range. I'm really liking what I've seen so far on the Otus. My main criticism of the 85G 1.4 is the fringing wide open. While fringing itself can be fixed easily in PP, I do think there is a fair bit of detail being lost.

I was hoping the Canon might be slightly large IC given the same FL and larger rear opening. On my A7R, it wouldn't matter, but if the IC's were the same, I'd go for the Nikon mount so I can use it on my D800E.

Cheers...

gerald.d

Stefan mentions on the HCam Facebook page that the 85 does indeed cover the IQ250 sensor*.

Personally I'd like to see some samples before splashing out on one though, and am surprised that none have surfaced yet.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

*Edit -

He's just replied to clarify that he's not actually had a chance to test it yet. He reports 10mm shift on both axes seems good on an A7, but that's only equivalent to a 57mm image circle, perilously close to the IQ250's 55mm.

chrismuc

I put the Otus 85f1.4 and the ZE 135f2 at Photokina at the Zeiss booth on my FPS with IQ180. The ZE135 image circle is somewhat larger than the Otus 85, both should cover the 44x33mm of the IQ250 sensor. I can't say anything about corner sharpness because these really only were handheld shots to roughly check the image circle.

narikin

We might have hoped that Zeiss would adapt some of these designs to a larger images circle that would work for us, but I am told they are not interested in MF anymore. They have made the decision that there is no money in it for them, the production numbers are just too small, and sadly they are probably right.

Hopefully the positive reception to the Otii, will lead them to reconsider and make some standards for MF, but I very much doubt it.

jagsiva

I put the Otus 85f1.4 and the ZE 135f2 at Photokina at the Zeiss booth on my FPS with IQ180. The ZE135 image circle is somewhat larger than the Otus 85, both should cover the 44x33mm of the IQ250 sensor. I can't say anything about corner sharpness because these really only were handheld shots to roughly check the image circle.
Did the 85mm cover the IQ180 IC?

Cheers...

chrismuc

Enclosed the two "artistic" IC test pics.
Otus 85f1.4 @*f1.4 just covers 44x33mm (rulers)
IC of ZE 135f2 @f2 is slightly larger but still not full 54x40.5mm