Site Sponsors

Thread: Phase One: Photokina 2014; C1v8, IQ150, Alpa Alliance, P+ Upgrade, Warranty Info

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Phase One: Photokina 2014; C1v8, IQ150, Alpa Alliance, P+ Upgrade, Warranty Info

Capture One v8 - focus on speed and stability, a few great new features, Sony tethering.
    IQ150 Introduced - an IQ250 without wifi with a lower cost of entry
    P+ to IQ2 - aggressive, short term offer, on upgrades from Phase One P+ backs to the IQ2 series
    Alpa and Phase One Strategic Partnership - one indication of how seriously Phase One is taking the broader tech camera market
    Warranty News - every IQ2 will now include the 5-year Value Added Warranty with loaner-during-service, including the body and lenses purchased at the same time
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Phase One: Photokina 2014 News

How much is the 150 and how does it differ from the 250?

I know it's early, but I am sure that's going to be a hot topic on here in the days to come
    Rick Rose
    www.RickrPhoto.com
    HasselPhase

Post Thanks / Like

Are you seriously telling me there's no new camera?
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Phase One: Photokina 2014; C1v8, IQ150, Alpa Alliance, P+ Upgrade, Warranty Info

Correct, no new camera from Phase One at Photokina. Very heavy investment is being made here and when it is ready it will be released.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Zerimar View Post
    How much is the 150 and how does it differ from the 250?

I know it's early, but I am sure that's going to be a hot topic on here in the days to come
    In the US the price is $29,990.

In other countries please contact your local dealer for pricing in your market in your currency.

In short: IQ150 is an IQ250 without the wifi. Also the IQ150 comes with a classic 1-year warranty, since ALL IQ2 systems now come with a 5-year Value Added Warranty (including on the body and lenses purchased with them at the time).

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Phase One: Photokina 2014; C1v8, IQ150, Alpa Alliance, P+ Upgrade, Warranty Info

My God, and people are tough on Hasselblad?!?! No new camera? $30K for the IQ150 back? The Leica S-E is suddenly looking like the bargain of the century.

Post Thanks / Like

Following the strategic alliance, perhaps Phase one dropped camera development, and their new body will actually be an ALPA ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

at the same price you get a camera body at hasselblad

but hey its a start, P1 gets pressure

competition is good

Post Thanks / Like

Unbelievable, what has it been 5 years since they first teased it? They need to at least show what they are working on and give a release date, or they will start loosing a lot of customers to the competition I think. It's really getting ridiculous.

Post Thanks / Like

Just downloaded C1P8..seems pretty nice...Nice improvements in adjust layers..

Post Thanks / Like

The customs call it "nothing to declare".
    Very disappointing.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I too downloaded and played a bit with C1 8, seems like a fine upgrade. From my quick testing it seems like tonemapping quality is now on par with Lightroom, something landscape photographers will like.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Surprised to see that Phase One did seemingly react to the 645z and lower entry point of the 50c. Not much of a reaction, but I guess it's a start. Plus it seems that the 150 doesn't get the full 5 year value add warranty, and if you add it back, guess what, you are pretty close right back to the cost of the IQ250. Not sure that this makes a lot of sense, but Phase One does.

Also as a non Alpa user not sure what a strategic alliance means? Hopefully Phase One will realize that there are probably less Alpa than Cambo and Arca systems out there, why they wanted to pigeon hole themselves into 1 of 3 very small niches. I agree the Alpa FPS camera is further advanced than anything from Cambo and Arca. However I have always felt that the "new" body would be some form of a Sony design. Not a FPS, since that is more of a tech solution.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Nice...but where is the new body announcement??

We need one desperately!

Post Thanks / Like

So yet again no new camera from Phase at Photokina.

So..... do we take it the Alpa alliance is another teaser for the development of yet another new camera that now superseded the last announcement in 2010 of the development of a whole new camera that we won't actually get until this now, newer one is now finished?? Crazy.......

Hasselblad, all is forgiven as this Phase/Alpa "Luxury" announcement trumps even the rebranded Sony's for "manufacturer with head in the sand."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'll chime in on the C1 v8 initial reviews. Thank God they have shadow/highlight recovery now available as a gradient layer mask. The quality of recovery is better than v7 and on par with LR. Also, the noise reduction seems better with less muddy, sludgy artifact when leaning on the sliders. Noise reduction can be applied as a layer also so you don't goof up your normal & highlight areas that don't need that adjustment. (not sure if this was on v7?)

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say this is poor from Phase One. The camera body has been their weakest link for many years and yet nothing has been announced. They know it, we know it and yet everything else but a camera body is announced.

The only thing holding me back from moving to the Leica S is the 30x45 format. If they released a Leica S '645' they would clean up! Then it would be a great camera body; enough resolution; 645 format; and wonderful lenses. I'm almost at the point of moving to the S, fabricating a cropped fresnel and post prod cropping.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

My god how its possible to ask 30k for a digital back and have a 6k body camera based on a 15 years mamiya 645 Af ? In the last 2 years i just saw 2 ou 3 realy great news in the DMF, the Pentax 645D system, the 645z with a price tag to any one outside of "club" , the Sony Cmos 50mp sensor, and the new "open" hasselblad H5Dx
    I just wonder how the DMF brands change there prices polices if a Pentax 645z 50MP back with a price tag of 6k apear in future, that can used in alpa, phase mamiyas 645 and h5dx....

Post Thanks / Like

My 2c

C1 v8 - good stuff, but a shame it appears that LCC handling hasn't improved from very good > class leading.

IQ150 - $14k north of where it should be. Here's a novel idea - just drop the price of the IQ250 by $5k. And the Credo 50 by $5k.

P+ to IQ2 - very attractive, especially if you're currently on a high MP back like the P65+ - e.g. net cost of upgrade to IQ260 = ~$8k.

Alpa partnership - no real idea what this involves - bundles initially I'd guess, camera later perhaps. Let's hope Alpa takes the lead on the camera or it could be a while.

Warranty - ah, one of my oldest beefs - shameful that P1 would sell you a $45k product with a warranty no better than the Magic Bullet you just bough off the shopping channel - about time they fixed this.

DF+2 - looks great, like the styling, ergonomics look good … er, hang on a sec … absolutely amazed that they have missed this deadline … Photokina 2016 I guess it is then? Seriously, with Hasselblad opening up their bodies again, adding LV and WiFi to their 50MP CMOS back, and already having a great camera body and lens line up ... it's a moment for P1.

Jim
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by f8orbust View Post
    My 2c
    C1 v8 - good stuff, but a shame it appears that LCC handling hasn't improved from very good > class leading.
    As far as I know the only software better than C1 at LCC is my own Lumariver HDR, but being a niche software it almost doesn't count . Among the broad software alternatives available I thought C1 already was class leading? It should be better than both Lightroom and Phocus as far as I know. Anyone else?

Post Thanks / Like

Finally the people is opennig their minds and see the overprice of phaseone products and that they get a poor,very poor camera body.
    The people does not expect nothing from phaseone, they just want to change body.
    Capture1 is in most cases the reason of people staying in phaseone system phaseone now that and play with it

Post Thanks / Like

The price of the new phaseone body (the decade it will appear) must be terrifying nowing that a 15years old body cost 6k....imagine how much it will cost the new one looking at the prices of the DIGITAL BACKS AND THEIR "UPGRADE PROGRAMS"

Post Thanks / Like

As a longtime user of PhaseOne I'm very disappointed. I expected the new camera years ago, but that I can accept. What I do find rather insulting at this point though is the fact that they don't tell us what they are working on and when we can expect it. Seeing how they don't even have a prototype it's more than likely years away. Either way, they have gone from being overly secretive to just plain taking their customers for granted in my opinion. That H5X is starting to look pretty attractive.
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mammy645 View Post
    As a longtime user of PhaseOne I'm very disappointed. I expected the new camera years ago, but that I can accept. What I do find rather insulting at this point though is the fact that they don't tell us what they are working on and when we can expect it. Seeing how they don't even have a prototype it's more than likely years away. Either way, they have gone from being overly secretive to just plain taking their customers for granted in my opinion. That H5X is starting to look pretty attractive.
    How much do you think it will cost to change the plate of an iq160 to hasselblad h5d? I did not want to spend more money in MF but the 645df is a pain in the......i just cannot keep going with it.
    When i upgrade the from p40 to iq160 i was promised a new body but that never happen
    I am open to a hole h5d system trade

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nenes View Post
    How much do you think it will cost to change the plate of an iq160 to hasselblad h5d? ....
    What's a few thousand dollars among friends?

Then there's the wash you get to take selling your Phase DF lenses...

Then there's the new technical camera MFDB plate you need to get to match your new MFDB H plate...

H5X---oooh, shiny and only about $8K. Then you realize you now need to start (re)acquiring lenses for that shiny H5X... Accessories?

Yeah, the thought has crossed my mind... I just may do it.

ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ken,

You omitted this:

Steve

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mammy645 View Post
    I think what you have here is a case where companies at the top are hesitant to change the formula to success or become market leaders in development because the reality is image is valuable enough.

It seems happens in every industry when companies get to the top and then the bean counters begin to run the company which tends to silence the excitement of the innovators. Look at Apple, GM (at one time,) Toyota, Volkswagen, Leica (at one time,) Canon, or Nikon.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

It's acceptable (barely) that they've missed the deadline.
    It's not acceptable that they said not one word about it.
    The honorable thing to say is something like: We've tried our best to have the body ready for this show. Unfortunately development is running a bit over schedule, we hope to see it released 1q15 or something like that.
    What's the point of pissing so many people off, I wonder.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shlomi View Post
    It's acceptable (barely) that they've missed the deadline.
    It's not acceptable that they said not one word about it.
    The honorable thing to say is something like: We've tried our best to have the body ready for this show. Unfortunately development is running a bit over schedule, we hope to see it released 1q15 or something like that.
    I better do not say nothing

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately development is running a bit over schedule, we hope to see it released 1q15 or something like that.
    It will take much longer than that to have Phase One printed onto the FPS MkII enabling them to charge a additional 25% premium for their "Fine Art", "Luxury" camera system.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RVB View Post
    Just downloaded C1P8..seems pretty nice...Nice improvements in adjust layers..
    First ever local WB adjustment! I'm surprised it took this long for any Raw conversion utility to get a feature photographers would've killed for since color photography was a thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kolor-Pikker View Post
    First ever local WB adjustment! I'm surprised it took this long for any Raw conversion utility to get a feature photographers would've killed for since color photography was a thing.
    Actually LR has had this for years in the adjustment brush i.e WB adjustment. The only difference is the LR does not give you the local layer to turn on or off.

But like you I am so glad C1 has this now. I have begged them for this in local adjustments for years.

From what I can tell in C1 the local layer WB adjustment over rides the image master WB for the area selected in the local selection.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dougpeterson View Post
    P+ to IQ2 - aggressive, short term offer, on upgrades from Phase One P+ backs to the IQ2 series
    Maybe it's a mobile thing, but I'm getting a blank page on the P+>IQ2 upgrade link.

Any actual numbers available on this?

Post Thanks / Like

the camera body was never promised for this show btw

rumors were, that there may be an announcement in Q1 2015, may..be.
    I'm still on a Hassi V System, waiting (and working patiently), but if this new body is on the market and it does come with a WLF option I'll be first in line to change mount. Most manufacturers have the bad habit of announcing products way ahead. I'm very glad P1 isn't (anymore).
    (A friend of mine bought into the Sinar P3+ SinarM System, with back and lenses when it was released, because they promised an Action Module (kind of Ipad, HD brick, to work on location) Well it never came to the market. Luckily somehow he could afford to switch brands.)

Post Thanks / Like

It was never officially promised, no one is contesting that.
    But it was expected and known that the company intended for the camera to be released somewhere around 14/15.

The company is taking the let's say Central European attitude of saying absolutely nothing and therefore it can't be accused of any wrongdoing.
    I think an open and honest dialog with its client base is a more respectable option, but maybe it's just me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It was never officially promised, no one is contesting that.
    But it was expected and known that the company intended for the camera to be released somewhere around 14/15.

The company is taking the let's say Central European attitude of saying absolutely nothing and therefore it can't be accused of any wrongdoing.
    I think an open and honest dialog with its client base is a more respectable option, but maybe it's just me.

I agree - I think a statement at least, would have been nice. We know it's real, and we know they're working on it, and that is has taken this long means that - one hopes - it's going to be fantastic, maybe more than we expect, the way the IQ backs were when they first popped out.

But I agree I think a statement from someone at P1 acknowledging that it has been expected and asking for just a little more patience goes a long way.

Steve Hendrix
    Capture Integration
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Digital Cam: • Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Sinar • Authorized Reseller
    TechCam: • Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar • Authorized Reseller

Post Thanks / Like

P+ upgrade looks pretty aggressive and tempting for me - P30+ user. I can assume that P1 will announce something big as soon this promo is over forcing people to want to upgrade again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hendrix View Post
    I agree - I think a statement at least, would have been nice. We know it's real, and we know they're working on it, and that is has taken this long means that - one hopes - it's going to be fantastic, maybe more than we expect, the way the IQ backs were when they first popped out.

But I agree I think a statement from someone at P1 acknowledging that it has been expected and asking for just a little more patience goes a long way.

Steve Hendrix
    Capture Integration
    Some light at the end of this tunnel

LULA has an update based on an interview with Henrik Håkonsson, P1 CEO, that the new camera will be here within 6 months, maybe sooner.

Photokina - Days 2 & 3

Post Thanks / Like

I'll believe it when I see it. I'm sure it'll be good, but will it be worth the wait? I hope so.

Post Thanks / Like

Personal opinion of course, but people I know(including me), use phase one back + Hassel camera + capture one. It's for work. So, major compromise is not acceptable.
    To make a great camera is not easy. There are reasons why Hassel and leica cameras are good.
    Maybe it's too much for phase one to make a great camera? They don't have history and experience. It doesn't matter that they told us so or not~ telling and doing is a different thing.
    (Even if phasseone make a good camera eventually, it will take, at least, another 10~20 years until it get mature~)
    Now, people need best sensors with a reasonable price( I hope phase one provide these~) and Hassel and capture one~ working together. Don't wait~
    Last edited by studio347; 19th September 2014 at 15:54.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say that I am disappointed in the lack of a new body from Phase One and I am giving serious thought to going via way of the Hasselblad H5x or even going via the Leica S route and leaving my Tech Cam behind The one thing I like about the Hassy route is that I still have the flexibility to use my Tech since I can use my IQ260 with both, and I have long exposure as well as the benefit of a good platform for a MF camera body.

I used to shoot Hassy before getting into the Phase backs, tech cam and my DF body and did enjoy it.
    Bryan

“You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” — Ansel Adams

Post Thanks / Like

In terms of the new Phase camera; just curious to know what precisely everyone is looking for in a new camera. Since I am mainly a landscape photographer, my Phase camera still works fine, but I do not use autofocus.

Post Thanks / Like

Below are some links which have touched on this subject - I guess it comes up one way or another every six months - but no new camera is forth coming.

Mal

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-f...-body-new.html

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-f...djustment.html

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-f...919-645df.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Doug - Phase One is a great choice in so many ways - it is VERY frustrating to have to put the back on the Mamiya body !!!! Deal breaker for me.

It is a crying shame really. The Alpa 'alliance' is nice...formalises a close working relationship and relatively better 'connectedness' that the two product ranges have enjoyed for years.