The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Alpa and Phase One fine art camera collaboration announced

miska

Hmmm. Very mysterious. I wonder what this means in practice. I am a bit worried by the many references to "premium", and hope they do not want to create luxury cameras like Hassi did...
For me, the point of Alpa (or Arca) is not "premium", but rather specialty.

gerald.d

Ok let the speculation begin.

I'll start...

Basically an FPS cut down to half the width, with an EVF utilising the output from the IQ250 (and subsequent CMOS backs).

Mirrorless MF.

torger

Hmm, from the press release there's indications that they're making a new "compact" medium format camera. I'd guess it will be some sort of luxury mirrorless camera rather than a tech cam with movements.

I agree with Miska, I've not seen Alpa as a luxury brand but rather speciality, but everyone's seems to want to move into luxury, I guess that's what the amateur market wants.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
WOW . Unexpected .
Impatiently waiting for more info .

I'll start...

Basically an FPS cut down to half the width, with an EVF utilising the output from the IQ250 (and subsequent CMOS backs).

Mirrorless MF.
Whatever product we will see , it is said to be FULL FORMAT MF .
IMO , we can expect it to be at the top of HIGH END MF tools .

torger

WOW . Unexpected .
Impatiently waiting for more info .

Whatever product we will see , it is said to be FULL FORMAT MF .
IMO , we can expect it to be at the top of HIGH END MF tools .
I'm a bit more skeptical, I think it will be some sort of a luxury product rather than intended as a high end professional tool.

Making an MF camera more compact, it's not really what a pro working with technical MF photography needs IMHO. It's what a travelling amateur that's bored of the latest Leica limited edition needs.

In the best scenario this collaboration means that Alpa technical bodies get an electronic interface to M-mount backs so we can get tilt/shift/aperture into EXIF data and automatic LCC in Capture One, and no need for synch cable. In the worst scenario this is just a new compact mirrorless luxury product with no movements.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I'm a bit more skeptical, I think it will be some sort of a luxury product rather than intended as a high end professional tool.

Making an MF camera more compact, it's not really what a pro working with technical MF photography needs IMHO. It's what a travelling amateur that's bored of the latest Leica limited edition needs.

In the best scenario this collaboration means that Alpa technical bodies get an electronic interface to M-mount backs so we can get tilt/shift/aperture into EXIF data and automatic LCC in Capture One, and no need for synch cable. In the worst scenario this is just a new compact mirrorless luxury product with no movements.

I can hardly imagine ALPA and PHASE ONE to cooperate just to create an other luxury and superfluous camera .
These two companies stand for making tools NOT toys .

torger

I can hardly imagine ALPA and PHASE ONE to cooperate just to create an other luxury and superfluous camera .
These two companies stand for making tools NOT toys .
I hope I'm wrong and you're right. Phase One has made limited edition CEO signed versions of their backs for the asian market. Hasselblad has further moved into trying to sell luxury products, Leica too has increased their intensity of luxury goods. I'm thinking maybe it's a trend. I guess it was mentioning the word "compact" that made me a bit skeptical, it's to me like trying to make the product more attractive and user-friendly for the layman.

On the other hand, they do target "the most demanding fine-art photographer" and making a system compact may just be a response to how great image quality you now can get from mirrorless 135 cameras like the current A7r, which indeed are much more compact and easier to bring. If it won't have movements, I'm saddened though. I've been worried that tech cams will evolve from large format view camera style with plenty of movements into nothing more than an enlarged 135 mirrorless, where pixelpeep resolution is the only real added value.

It shall be exciting to see what this collaboration will bring.

narikin

I'll start...

Mirrorless MF.
Agree. This is exactly what I would imagine/hope.

A compact FPS, with full integration to a Phase One FF back, possibly including single battery power. Will allow use of tech cam lenses and all other system lenses, including existing Phase One lenses, on a mirrorless system.

Tilt, shift, rise/fall all available via the new adapters. EVF live view focusing, with 10x magnification and focus peaking.

Not sure why it's 'Fine Art' but, whatever. I've been with Alpa for 6+ years, so "in for a penny..."

Frederic

Intriguing and interesting indeed, I wonder what they will come up with. New ideas and some innovation in digital MF can't hurt.
Not sure I'm very fond of the "premium" and "fine art" references though, whatever they mean.

narikin

I am hoping it really is a new camera in the future, not a re-hashed package (FPS + IQ260) with Phase One support for Alpa lens corrections built into C1.

They could be permanently grafting a Phase One back onto an FPS style body, to create a new hybrid (FPSrankenstein? Phrankenfpstein?!) with the addition of EVF live view focusing.

That most likely would be the Sony CMOS sensor, except they state it is an FF solution, which the Sony famously is not. Plus it is also not Alpa style to permanently fix any technological component to their bodies.

torger

Intriguing and interesting indeed, I wonder what they will come up with. New ideas and some innovation in digital MF can't hurt.
Not sure I'm very fond of the "premium" and "fine art" references though, whatever they mean.
"Fine art" to me just means slow style photography (landscape, architecture, still life etc) and making large prints of that. It's the print that are technically very fine, not necessarily the art that's good :)

"Premium" to me generally means "very high quality, but with an even higher price" :)

Steve Hendrix

Looks like it's a TC body.

Starting with a TC. And for the future includes some interesting features regarding LCC processing, referenced by Mr Torger, so far only for TC. This is only a beginning and the wording is "long term". Phase One has produced bundles in the past (with Cambo, Arca Swiss, Horseman). This is different.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

Paul2660

Guess there are more Alpa users out there than I thought. Sad to to Phase One feel its important to favor one brand over the rest with technological improvement For SURE there is room for improvement on the current LCC processing. As the tech market has always been listed by the dealers on this site as a small and limited portion of the overall market, to load and go with only one vendor seems a bit odd. But that's kinda par for the course with Phase One except for Capture 1.

Paul

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Paul might just depend on what they intend to do and Alpa wanted to team up with them. Really if we think about it phase one backs and credos for that matter make the most sense for tech cams manufactures. Alpa may just have got the jump on it over Cambo and Arca.

My hope it's not 3 years away but far sooner they have something in place

torger

In the start it could just be some minor software feature in Capture One and a Phase One digital back + Alpa TC bundle, with collaboration in marketing. A very small effort for them both (no new hardware), but a win-win for both companies concerning sales.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I agree and with no new camera body from phase which is pathetic BTW than this at least maybe a useful pairing.