The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hassy CFV-50C - Under the radar?

jagsiva

Not sure this has been posted, but looks like Hassy has just announced a V-series back:

CFV-50c

CMOS, 50 Mpixels (8272×6200 pixels)
  • 43.8 × 32.9 mm 5.3 x 5.3 чm
  • RAW 3FR capture 65 MB on average. Tiff 8 bit 154 MB
  • 1.5 s/capture. 35 captures/min (based on a SanDisk Extreme UDMA7 120MB/s)
  • ISO 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200 and 6400
  • 12 minutes (max exposure time)
  • Rechargeable Li-ion battery 8.4 VDC
  • Support for DAC for Carl Zeiss lenses included in Phocus
  • TFT 3”
  • Mechanical shutters controlled via flash sync, electronic shutters controlled by Phocus.
  • FireWire 800 (IEEE1394b)
  • SonyTM InfoLithium L, up to 8 hours of shooting capacity
  • 530 g (Excluding battery and CF card)

Is this really similar specs to an IQ150 at 50% of the price? All I would need is a V-mount plate for my tech cam! I must be missing something....

jagsiva

I must have completely missed it. Pricing for P1 just looks silly now, at least this is somewhat in the ballpark at 2x the Pentax. Only thing working against the Pentax is being able to stick it on a tech cam.

iiiNelson

I must have completely missed it. Pricing for P1 just looks silly now, at least this is somewhat in the ballpark at 2x the Pentax. Only thing working against the Pentax is being able to stick it on a tech cam.
Yeah... Phase prices would look even more silly if Hasselblad released an updated dual focal plane H and/or V cameras.

Everyone's prices would look silly if Pentax released a line of Leaf Shutter lenses for the 645D/Z cameras.

torger

Price point for the previous CFV-50 was also low compared to the H system (or any other digital back). I think the idea is that the CFV should sell to amateurs and artists, as the V system is practically dead in the "working pro" customer segment. You can't use the CFV on an H system which means that they can have separate pricing. What they've done is to repackage the technology from H5D-50c into CFV-50c, which takes minimal development effort, and then sell it at a "low" price.

Having the same price as H5D-50c would probably be too much for too many of the V users, so it would not sell in any numbers. The lower price gives it a chance.

The low CFV prices is also interesting for tech cameras users, it's the best price/performance back you can get, and now it has live view in the back. Unfortunately the Sony CMOS sensor don't work well with wide angles. It would have been nice if they had kept the CCD version and updated it with new screen, a "CFV-50 II", the CCD was excellent on tech wides so it would have been a great tech cam option at a great price compared to the competition (no live view on the CCD though of course).

jagsiva

The low CFV prices is also interesting for tech cameras users, it's the best price/performance back you can get, and now it has live view in the back. Unfortunately the Sony CMOS sensor don't work well with wide angles. It would have been nice if they had kept the CCD version and updated it with new screen, a "CFV-50 II", the CCD was excellent on tech wides so it would have been a great tech cam option at a great price compared to the competition (no live view on the CCD though of course).

For sure, for tech cams, it's a no brainer, with the exception of WA lenses. Curious as to whether the on-back live view update that was released this week on the H series is also available on the v-series. If it is, then its definitely a contender on tech-cams. With more solutions coming available with Arca and Alpa for using lenses like the TSE24, WA workarounds are readily available.

tjv

Yes, live view has / is being enabled via a firmware update. Good news! Like Torger says, it's a real pity this back isn't great on tech cameras. It'd be perfect for use on my Techno if it played well with wides.

yongfei

"All new features (except Wi-Fi) will be available to H5D-50c and CFV-50c owners as a firmware upgrade shortly after the photokina trade show event."

So live view is coming which is really great news. Now the question is what is the LCD screen resolution of CFV-50c?

torger

"All new features (except Wi-Fi) will be available to H5D-50c and CFV-50c owners as a firmware upgrade shortly after the photokina trade show event."

So live view is coming which is really great news. Now the question is what is the LCD screen resolution of CFV-50c?
I *think* it's the same as the one introduced in the H4D series and is still left in H5D, which is 3" 420x360 pixels I think, ie not exactly state of the art. However, retina resolution is not really necessary to make a screen useful for live view. More important is that the screen has good light and high contrast, and that the live view implementation render well at 100%, that edges look sharp when in focus etc. I have no personal experience with those screens so I don't know how these are, but I do know that my old Aptus back with a lowly 320x240 pixel screen can still show if something is sharp, thanks to good implementation of the 100% view.

High resolution is really only needed to be able to show a reasonable crop when zoomed to 100%, if very low resolution screen and very high resolution sensor the crop gets unpractically small. The digital back is too small anyway to fit a screen to give as good overview like a computer screen does, regardless of resolution.

vjbelle

I would think that the LCD should be up to par with what's on the H5D but it would great if it was even better. LCD screens should be a low cost item. This really is very exciting and a complete no brainer for me as long as it works on an Alpa.

Victor

Last edited:

darr

I shot Hassy commercially for 15+ years and loved the V system except when digital entered the market. I made the switch to an RZ DII + Phase One. It is now time for me to consider this Hassy option. :)

vjbelle

Unfortunately the Sony CMOS sensor don't work well with wide angles.
I'm glad I'm not in the camp the needs really wide..... I am thinking that my Schneider 60mm, which is about as wide as I need, should perform well with the Sony CMOS..... at least I hope so.

Victor