The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

ARCA-SWISS Universalis

Paul2660

This may have been overlooked in all of the new Arca announcements. This appears to be a newer LIGHTER, version of the old tried and true M2. I noticed the weight for the unit is around 2.64lbs, I assume no rail included. They are making it in 3 versions, DSLR, Medium Format back, and 4 x 5. The rear mount appears lower or higher depending on the camera being used. This unit does have a 32mm limit on widest lens.

In the photo Arca has the standard rail included, which I believe would need to be added to the total cost.

This unit seems to have all the great movements of the larger and heavier M2. Since it has the R mount any R lens can be used. If Arca comes out with Nikon, Canon, and other mounts supported in the R mount this could be an interesting alternative.

gazwas

Looks like the standard Arca front format off the ML2. If so, this means a lens mounted in a standard Arca plate would also work fine rather than having to have an expensive R mount.

Paul2660

I believe the mount is the same between the M2 (or when configured as a DSLR2). On a R mount lens, you remove all the tubes, but still have the bayonet mount, going into the brass mounting ring. Here is a close up of a 40mm HR-W being mounted into the M2, configured as a DSLR2 for Sony A7r mount. From the pictures of the Universalis front it appears to be the same.

Paul

Last edited:

jagsiva

It looks like a lighter version of the ML2. I would expect that, as with the ML2, you can use a board that takes R-mount lenses or a 110x110 in plain vanilla form. Focussing will be with the bellows, so no additional benefit of R-mount outside of cross-compatibility.

I just wonder how much movement will be supported on the rear standard. I hope it is +/- 50mm on either side vs. the ML2 at +/- 35mm.

torger

I think the movement range is specified as when you combine both back and front in opposite directions. But uhh... I don't see if one can shift both front and back horizontally.

jagsiva

I think the movement range is specified as when you combine both back and front in opposite directions. But uhh... I don't see if one can shift both front and back horizontally.
Well, even if you could, it defeats the purpose for flat-stitching. I hope we get something lighter than the Monolith that can shift 40-50mm on the rear standard soon. I can do it on the RM3Di, but only using the Rotaslide (about +/- 25mm) AND the body (+/- 15mm) for a total of +/- 40mm. However, this is very clunky!

torger

It looks really nice!

The M-Line two is still available, it's a bit heavier and I guess there's some differences in gearing and movements. Could someone provide a description of what the differences between the M-Line two and F-Line Universalis is? Is the Universalis always the better choice these days, or are there use cases when the M-Line two is better suited?

gazwas

It looks really nice!

The M-Line two is still available, it's a bit heavier and I guess there's some differences in gearing and movements. Could someone provide a description of what the differences between the M-Line two and F-Line Universalis is? Is the Universalis always the better choice these days, or are there use cases when the M-Line two is better suited?
Looking at the bellows moving the rear format frame when the tilt/swing is applied in this animated giff possibly answers your question. The M-Line 2 is a scaled down version (less movements) than a full fat M-Line camera so is a very sturdy camera platform.

Lets just hope Doug forgot to screw something tight! ;)

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Looking at the bellows moving the rear format frame when the tilt/swing is applied in this animated giff possibly answers your question. The M-Line 2 is a scaled down version (less movements) than a full fat M-Line camera so is a very sturdy camera platform.

Lets just hope Doug forgot to screw something tight! ;)
The GIFs are composites from two images. The base I had the camera on moved slightly between shots so the comp shows a bit of movement where I overlayed the second image. If I had done a better job (i.e. stopped and gone and gotten sticky tape to hold the base stable) you'd see there was no such movement.

This is a solid camera.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
It looks really nice!

If I were getting a 4x5 film camera I might still consider the M-Line two.

If I was primarily or exclusively a digital shooter I'd go with the Univeralis without hesitation.

miska

Could you use a small format SLR (like a Sony Alpha 7R) as a viewfinder for an MFDB ? So can you swap the rear standard between the SLR and MFDB precisely enough that you keep focus ?
I think the answer is no, but I'd like to be sure...

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Could you use a small format SLR (like a Sony Alpha 7R) as a viewfinder for an MFDB ? So can you swap the rear standard between the SLR and MFDB precisely enough that you keep focus ?
I think the answer is no, but I'd like to be sure...
Definitely not.

But there is a [swap ground glass] option as well as [sliding back ground glass] option.

Smoothjazz

I have two questions; does the rear standard have a tilt function? I could not tell by the pictures. Also, is there a sliding back that could allow use of a ground glass for composing and focusing, and then sliding over to use a Phase One IQ 180 back?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I have two questions; does the rear standard have a tilt function?
No. Only on the front standard.

Of course the same effect can be achieved by tilting the entire camera up or down and countering that tilt with the front standard.

Also, is there a sliding back that could allow use of a ground glass for composing and focusing, and then sliding over to use a Phase One IQ 180 back?
Yes, absolutely. The Arca Swiss Rotaslide.

We'd be glad to provide you a remote demo on either or both elements you've inquired about.

jagsiva

There is a sliding back. You can see it below in both positions. The Arca Sliding back also gives you rear shift capability. It also allows you to rotate the back without taking it off.

Egor

This may be a simplistic question, but what are the advantages (all studio tethered) of the universalis over say a legacy 4x5 like a Sinar P2?
We are considering this set up (thank you, Doug :) but have two existing geared 4x5 rigs and full lens sets.
I will assume the new lenses for digital are in order, but not as sure about the camera body. Is the universalis more precise? Hold the DB more securely?