The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Credo 50 Review coming

torger

I've taken a quick look on the tech HR40 raws. Thanks for sharing.

I think it looks quite good. There is crosstalk going on, as one can measure in green channel separation in the LCC shots (if there is no crosstalk green1 and green2 are the same). This separation can also be seen as demosaicing mazing when using more sensitive demosaicers than the one in C1. Haven't yet checked in C1 but I know that mosaicer is robust so I would be suprised if I find any mazing artifacts at this level.

One can see the asymmetric behavior of the sensor, the left shift LCC has a different color scale than the corresponding right shift. If symmetric behavior is desired one can turn the back upside down on the left shift for example. It might be the case that the right shift has a bit less issues, ie a tiny little better result could have been had if turning the back upside down on the left shift.

So how much is color affected? A color checker test would be needed to make really sure, but from the paint on the buildings in the examples and grass etc I'd say that there is desaturation but a very low amount. It would probably not be acceptable for reproduction photography, but for any normal landscape or architectural photography I think most users would be satisfied. Of the sky I'm not sure if it's a shift or if it's natural. I suspect that the fitness center magnenta left could have been different (ie bluer) if the back was turned upside down when shooting that segment.

Can the sensor be shifted more than 15mm? From Doug's library test we know that at 30mm there is total breakdown, but I have not seen any test files examining the range between 15 and 30mm. My guess is that 15mm is as far as you'd want to go.

How will the 32HR perform? Need to test to make sure, probably a little bit less good but not by much. Speculating now - perhaps 12mm shift would yield a similar result as 15mm on the HR40.

Do we have the full picture? No, to really document color stability of this system with asymmetrical behavior you'd need to make a lab test. Personally I'd want to do that before investing in this type of system so I get a full understanding of its color performance as I'm quite picky about color and lack of other crosstalk-related artifacts, but I understand that not everyone is that.

Would I recommend using the Credo 50 with the HR40? No, not really, but at the same time I'd say that many will be satisfied so I think some people will go this way and I think that is an okay decision, real-world post-processed result will be fine almost always. If buying into it with open eyes I cannot say it would be a bad decision, color and tonality is just one of many measures.

Note that some of my skepticism is that I'm an engineer, and as such I just don't think it's sane design for a system to push the sensor into operation in an area which it's not designed for and patching up with a robust demosaicer, it's also obvious that the great technology advances in both fine tonality and DR is compromised in the shifted areas, moreso than we're used to. I think having to use LCC is bad enough, and at some point I think is pushed too far than is sane, and this sensor lens combination is such a case. I can't however deny that thanks to the huge DR of this sensor and the stable C1 demosaicer the real world results you can have look pretty good.

torger

Looking at the LCCs in rawdigger you lose about 2.6 stops to the side and about 2.8 stops to the corner. The green channels that are equal in center separate 20 - 30% at the shifted sides/cornes.

You can't translate green separation to amount of crosstalk straight away as it depends on the color of light shining on the LCC and a bunch of other factors, but as a comparison a IQ260 shifted to hard vignetting on the 32HR has <3% green channel separation, ie negligible crosstalk (horizontal orientation, it's about 5% vertical, ie still low). There are worse examples though, the Credo40 shifted to the edge in vertical orientation on an SK28 is kind of a worst case and that has 80% separation (totally black and white in that case). The Hasselblad 50 megapixel Kodak CCD backs keeps the separation at 5% even with the SK28 close to the edge.

When there's so much leaks between pixels that a neighboring green pixel can differ as much as 20 - 30% you can't of course expect perfect tonality and color, and not perfect demosaicing either as this difference between green neighbours can be converted into false detail. How far from perfect? Well, good real-world results can still be had, you don't need to have the best product concerning tonality to make good images. You just need to be aware what you compromise.

A shifted lens of course always means compromise, you get less sharpness and the increased vignetting means you get more noise. The desaturation and reduced tonality followed by crosstalk can be seen as just another of these, and depending on how you see it you may not think that it is any worse than vignetting is and you don't need to give it much attention. While I don't agree for a number of reasons I think it's a reasonable point of view you can have as a pragmatic photographer.

To compare with something we know from the past, a HR40 on the Credo 50 is about the same type of compromise concerning color and tonality as an SK35 on an P65+/IQ160/IQ260 (although the latter is a bit better at rise/fall in horizontal orientation). That is a fully usable combination in real-world scenarios within limits, but they were not really made to match. If you were satisfied with the SK35 performance on the Dalsa-based 60 megapixel backs you're probably going to be satisfied with the HR40 on the Credo50.

Last edited:

ErikKaffehr

Hi Guy,

I checked out some of the raw files in capture One.

Regarding ISO I cannot say that much. I mostly shoot 50 ISO on both my P45+ and the Sony Alpha 99.

What I noticed is that there is a marked fall off in sharpness in the corners and edges on the Mamiya 55LS.

The technical camera image is impressively sharp.

Thanks for the review, job well done, and thanks for posting the raw images!

Best regards
Erik

Folks Im working on the review . i know you see it on the forum Its locked for now until I get more data up but downloads are there and i hate working alone. LOL