The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tricky art reproduction.

Jeffg53

Dan,

I had a similar problem recently. Fortunately, the client is a good friend. She had used some weird paint which looked different at different angles, and significantly so. My solution was to work with her until we got an image that satisfied her. Not a technical solution, I know, but I'm just asking.

Some things just can't be reproduced, no matter what you do. :deadhorse:

danlindberg

Alright guys. Mission completed. I guess there is not a lot of difference in the web-jpg compared to the first one I posted. But, I can tell you there is a huge difference in the original tiffs. I post a crop as well that shows much more detail, structure and 3d feel than from before.

My usual even lighting was a no go, so thanks to tips I used one lightsource at the most acute angle possible to enhance embossment. However instead of equalize the overall lighting by LCC I made 3 separate exposures and blended the 3 exposures in PS. Now upon scrutiny you can even tell the difference between the silver strokes and white strokes. You clearly see the embossments which I didn't before.

Thanks for the help ;)

Egor

Good job, Dan!
After looking at the art you need to capture, I was going to suggest exactly what you did. Photograph it using multiple exposures and lighting angles that show different aspects of the artwork, composite layers in PS, and paint in the details you wish to show.
I think thats what you did there and a good job of it! Congrats!

e

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
The proof is in the pudding. ;)

I should add that this is a test!!!! from the artist himself. He says with a devilish smile that if I can produce this one to his liking I am to do a large amount of his paintings.
How many artworks are you going to do for him now?

So how did you manage with the metallic parts, the hint of metallic flakes? this you use any reflecting material or negative in the front?
Thanks for sharing these important notes and great job by the way.
ACH

danlindberg

Georg, no response yet, not a word....:)

Antonio, the metallic parts were actually downtoned for the simple reason that there is a mixture of white and silver and when I got direct or reflected light onto the silver parts, they either got blown or just turned white as the adjecent paintstroke. Instead I wanted to see a contrast between the white and silver.
Had the artwork only consisted of the silver metallic and black (and no white at all), then I would definitely have parts of the silver overexposed (not blown though) to make it more alive.