The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

H4d and h5d display while tethering

nenes

Hi all.
Someone knows why the hasselblad h4d40 does not show the images in the rear display while tethering into lightroom or focus ?
Do you know if with the H5D40 you can see the images in the rear display while tethering shooting into lightroom

Dustbak

The H4D does not show an image on the display when shooting tethered because it does not have the ability to generate a JPG on the fly to show on the display when shooting tethered.

The H5D does have that ability and can show an image on the display when shooting tethered.

Why in heavensname would you ever want to shoot tethered into Lightroom?? For that purpose Phocus is so much better equipped that should be a no-brainer.

nenes

QUOTE=Dustbak;603707]The H4D does not show an image on the display when shooting tethered because it does not have the ability to generate a JPG on the fly to show on the display when shooting tethered.

The H5D does have that ability and can show an image on the display when shooting tethered.

Why in heavensname would you ever want to shoot tethered into Lightroom?? For that purpose Phocus is so much better equipped that should be a no-brainer.[/QUOTE]

Hi, thanks so much

The reason why shooting tethered into lightroom instead to phocus is because when working with clients is important for them to compare until four or more pictures at the same time and edit them and copy and paste settings very quik and make diferent variants from the same image and more very important things they request on set, that way the client leaves the set with a preview of the shooting.
I know phocus is faster when tethering and work better the color but lacks a lot of things very important in my work flow. Phocus does not have the ability to compare more than two images , copy and paste settings is too slow , does not have the ability of working with variants ....and some other things that i dont remember now.

robmac

As an FYI

I don't know if you're going direct into LR from Hassy, but I use a hot folder system with the D800e (via Sofortbild, but any system works) to tether into LR and it is MUCH, MUCH faster than going directly into LR.

Using this system I can get see 36MP 800e images on my screen faster than I can ones from a 12MP D3S going directly into LR.

This 'tether chain' also rarely, if ever fails and if you power off the camera to change batteries, etc - will reacquire the camera almost instantly at power on. LR just operates away blissfuly unaware.

LR does some things very well, but fast and reliable ingestion of tethered images isn't one of them.

Dustbak

A better option might be to automatically export images from Phocus towards a hot folder that gets imported by Lightroom.

nenes

As an FYI

I don't know if you're going direct into LR from Hassy, but I use a hot folder system with the D800e (via Sofortbild, but any system works) to tether into LR and it is MUCH, MUCH faster than going directly into LR.

Using this system I can get see 36MP 800e images on my screen faster than I can ones from a 12MP D3S going directly into LR.

This 'tether chain' also rarely, if ever fails and if you power off the camera to change batteries, etc - will reacquire the camera almost instantly at power on. LR just operates away blissfuly unaware.

LR does some things very well, but fast and reliable ingestion of tethered images isn't one of them.

Ohhhoohhhooo that seems so cool ,but does ligthroom show the pictures automatly tethering that way?, if it does, it would be a very cool thing.
Yea lightroom it is pretty slow tethered but one of the "good thing" about that is that while the pictures are coming you have time to filter or ajust them in the meantime ji,ji,ji
But for what i see sofortbild just work with nikon?

nenes

A better option might be to automatically export images from Phocus towards a hot folder that gets imported by Lightroom.
I tried this but the pictures did not appear automatly in lightroom,i had to select them manualy....maybe i did something wrong?

Dustbak

You have to set auto import on Lightroom, make a 'watched folder' and 'enable' autoimport.

On Phocus you have to set export automatically and export towards your 'watched folder'.

This should work.

fotografz

QUOTE=Dustbak;603707]The H4D does not show an image on the display when shooting tethered because it does not have the ability to generate a JPG on the fly to show on the display when shooting tethered.

Why in heavensname would you ever want to shoot tethered into Lightroom?? For that purpose Phocus is so much better equipped that should be a no-brainer.

Hi, thanks so much

The reason why shooting tethered into lightroom instead to phocus is because when working with clients is important for them to compare until four or more pictures at the same time and edit them and copy and paste settings very quik and make diferent variants from the same image and more very important things they request on set, that way the client leaves the set with a preview of the shooting.
I know phocus is faster when tethering and work better the color but lacks a lot of things very important in my work flow. Phocus does not have the ability to compare more than two images , copy and paste settings is too slow , does not have the ability of working with variants ....and some other things that i dont remember now.
While I don't doubt you know exactly what you need for working with your clients, I'm also curious as to how you have Phocus set up and why certain functions are so slow.

Unlike Photoshop, Phocus is sensitive to which video card is installed. Which video card makes a big difference. Also do you use two computer screens, and how big are they?

Back when shooting my H4D/40 or H4D/60 tethered, I had one screen dedicated to all images as shot in sequence which was set to show the shots as large as Phocus would allow … and the second dedicated to most recent image shot … which I could see from where I was actually shooting. Pasting previous adjustments was very sensitive to the video card, which I learned by having one that was going bad, and when up-graded with a new/better one sped up the whole process considerably.

Of course, I don't know exactly the extent of the corrections you are applying to multiple images in LR, so it may be a moot point. Yet, Phocus has much better color rendering and controls, so I never could give that up in order to use LR.

Now that I switched to a Leica S system with DNG RAW, I have no choice … since their Image Shuttle is primitive, I'm forced to use LR.

- Marc

nenes

While I don't doubt you know exactly what you need for working with your clients, I'm also curious as to how you have Phocus set up and why certain functions are so slow.

Unlike Photoshop, Phocus is sensitive to which video card is installed. Which video card makes a big difference. Also do you use two computer screens, and how big are they?

Back when shooting my H4D/40 or H4D/60 tethered, I had one screen dedicated to all images as shot in sequence which was set to show the shots as large as Phocus would allow … and the second dedicated to most recent image shot … which I could see from where I was actually shooting. Pasting previous adjustments was very sensitive to the video card, which I learned by having one that was going bad, and when up-graded with a new/better one sped up the whole process considerably.

Of course, I don't know exactly the extent of the corrections you are applying to multiple images in LR, so it may be a moot point. Yet, Phocus has much better color rendering and controls, so I never could give that up in order to use LR.

Now that I switched to a Leica S system with DNG RAW, I have no choice … since their Image Shuttle is primitive, I'm forced to use LR.

- Marc

Hi mark, when i said slow i ment just about the method to copy and paste setings arroun diferent pictures , not about speed performance. I like phocus but for my workflow it is just not as complete as LR or C1 in terms i did mention before....to bad....i find phocus very fast and i like the colors very much but on set i just need to offer as much as i can to my clients and to my self....after, back to the studio retoching, i could always start with final selection from phocus to work for the right colors

robmac

It does. As soon as an image pops into the designated folder it import it automatically (quickly) and pops it on screen for tweaking, etc. The folder it watches will only hold the new picture for a few seconds until LR sees and imports it.

Search LR and "Auto Import" (under the File menu). It's often referred to as using a "Hot Folder". When using it, LR behaves no differently than tethering directly - but is MUCH faster/reliable. You must remember to set it up - and then enable it (in same menu).

The nice thing is that by separating the file-ingestion part of the tether process from the file processing, etc., IF you have a cable disconnect or some such, LR is blissfully unaware of it and not affected. You just fix it and carry on.

It (LR) doesn't 'know' why images suddenly stopped showing up in the designated folder it's watching and it doesn't 'care' or react - it just keeps waiting for a new one.

The only PITA is that LR insists that the folder it's watching for any session MUST never have been used for auto import before. I just create a new one on my desktop (it only needs to hold one image for a few seconds) for my import program at the start of the session and have the ingestion program (in my case Sofortbild), dump the incoming image from the camera into it so LR can import them.

If Phocus can dump to a folder that LR can import from live, than it may give you the best of both worlds.

Ohhhoohhhooo that seems so cool ,but does ligthroom show the pictures automatly tethering that way?, if it does, it would be a very cool thing.
Yea lightroom it is pretty slow tethered but one of the "good thing" about that is that while the pictures are coming you have time to filter or ajust them in the meantime ji,ji,ji
But for what i see sofortbild just work with nikon?

nenes

It does. As soon as an image pops into the designated folder it import it automatically (quickly) and pops it on screen for tweaking, etc. The folder it watches will only hold the new picture for a few seconds until LR sees and imports it.

Search LR and "Auto Import" (under the File menu). It's often referred to as using a "Hot Folder". When using it, LR behaves no differently than tethering directly - but is MUCH faster/reliable. You must remember to set it up - and then enable it (in same menu).

The nice thing is that by separating the file-ingestion part of the tether process from the file processing, etc., IF you have a cable disconnect or some such, LR is blissfully unaware of it and not affected. You just fix it and carry on.

It (LR) doesn't 'know' why images suddenly stopped showing up in the designated folder it's watching and it doesn't 'care' or react - it just keeps waiting for a new one.

The only PITA is that LR insists that the folder it's watching for any session MUST never have been used for auto import before. I just create a new one on my desktop (it only needs to hold one image for a few seconds) for my import program at the start of the session and have the ingestion program (in my case Sofortbild), dump the incoming image from the camera into it so LR can import them.

If Phocus can dump to a folder that LR can import from live, than it may give you the best of both worlds.

Thanks so much ! I will definitely try it out and feedback how it works