The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

MF DBs: A new low in values? Market implications?

Geoff

I dont believe that MF is a hand held option in any guise - only if you have strobes going pop pop pop pop ..can one approach hand held shooting with any confidence about outcome. In many situations - high megapixels / resolution is your hand held enemy - the dirty little fact that most conveniently ignore in these discussions.

Cheers
Pete
You are right on target - longer focal lengths (realized), lower ISO, and heavier camera, plus razor sharp (and need for DOF), lead to mostly tripod use, IMHO.

BradleyGibson

I've thought about Peter's point, and I'm not sure I'm convinced.

First of all, megapixels do not equate to resolution (resolving power)--pixels *per unit area* do. So if you're shooting 6.8 micron or 6.0 micron sensels, you have your resolution, regardless of the number of megapixels.

Small format cameras deal in these resolutions quite regularly; I don't see medium format at an inherent disadvantage.

The other factor is magnification. So if the image the lens projects is the same physical size--in other words, all things being equal--(e.g shooting 50mm lenses on both systems), I am at a loss to see how medium format is at a disadvantage.

Where I see things as not being equal:
- more mirror slap
- 70 is the new 50 with medium format. That's more magnification for both your subject matter and your shake.
- medium format lenses tend to be slower, necessitating longer shutter speeds for the same exposure
- medium format backs tend to be shot at lower ISO's, necessitating even longer shutter speeds for the same exposure
- no fancy tricks like VR/IS to combat vibration

But aside from the obvious differences, am I missing something?

-Brad

DOH! That could be my problem ... I keep forgetting to bring my tripod with me when I'm out shooting.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Brad,

My comment was truthful, but also meant to be a bit sarcastic. I'm probably a salmon swimming upstream (which is fine by me), since I want to be able to use a MFDB wherever I can use it. In landscape situations I'll use a tripod, but for other situations I'm not fond of being tied to a slow methodology where I can't walk about and find the exact view/composition I'm looking to get.

Kurt

PeterA

I am happy to shoot @ 1/15th with a 35 Schneider on my Alpa @ F8- 16.
With any MFD kit and a normal or 110 lens - I cant shoot hand held at shutter speed below 1/125th with ANY chance of sharp focus where I want it.

You guys are exteremely gifted if you can.:thumbup:

gogopix

Subscriber
With any MFD kit and a normal or 110 lens - I cant shoot hand held at shutter speed below 1/125th with ANY chance of sharp focus where I want it.

Actually, Peter, I agree. many times people complain that a shot was 'just out of focus' then I see it was shot with a 180mm lens at 1/125
we don't realize how much smearing happens due to shutter speed.

instead on speed =1/FL maybe 1/2xFL would be sharper.

but then sharpness isnt everything...

Victor

gogopix

Subscriber
but keep the lens at WA and it works
this is the Contax and a P45+ at 100% 1/30s and 35mm also ISO 800. so LOTS of chance to smear

the scene and the crop. You can see he noise really comes thru quite sharply! :)

I haven't tried the 110/2.0, but the 80mm hand held is great and I have a few with the 180mm superachromat hasselblad, but the latter I believe I shot at 1/250 or even 1/500s

victor

Last edited:

Steve Hendrix

I think half the battle is being cognizant of situations where lower shutter speeds than you'd like are occurring and taking that into account as you squeeze the trigger. And it does take practice and awareness. There was a time when I could not capture images at slower shutter speeds hand-held and wondered how people did it. But I'm in those situations a lot, and the more I find myself there, the better I get.

I haven't had any real issues shooting normal lenses at 1/60th and if pushed at 1/30th and getting sharp results. Perhaps not razor sharp, but sharp enough. Critical sharpness is overrated in some cases, and if the subject matter is truly worthy and you're on all cylinders everywhere in terms of producing a compelling image, that won't be the first thing you'll notice.

I've recently spent some time pooling together images for a website. Most of them are shot within the last few years, but some are from quite a ways back when I shot film. Over the course of all the images, sharpness varies, but as these are all my favorite shots, it is never the real story, the image itself is. Of course, grand size enlargements will be more revealing in terms of lack of sharpness.

Medium Format has always been bigger, heavier, slower than 35mm. Slowly, slowly (too slow for many) the systems have been moving towards more DSLR-type functionality. It does take extra effort to get sharp results with slower exposures (and to be sure, sometimes it's just not practical), but the effort is often rewarded.

All that said, I know very, very few photographers - commercial pros, hobbyists, fine art shooters, etc - who only shoot with one format. Even in my spare time (the little I have) I shoot with Canon 5D in some situations, Phase One P45+/Phase One camera in others. And I'm on the lookout for an advanced compact.

Unfortunately, getting all the shots we want, how we want, them means carrying different tools for most of us, depending on the situation.

Steve Hendrix
Phase One

PhotoTurbo

I was shocked to see an Aptus 22 sell for $1,600 on fleabay the other day, wish I would have bid on it...

(just for the record, it did have a tiny mark on the IR filter)

Paratom

Brad,
I am somewhat confused about reading you moving to Hassy V. Have you sold your Hy6-equipment? and what would the Hassy 2003/5 give you what you dodnt get with the Hy6? (besides its more classical)?

In regards of the question buying on ebay: I have bought a lot of equipment on ebay and no bad experience at all. I know it will happen one day, but I will have saved so much money buying used stuff that I think overall its in the calculation.
However I try to pick up things personally if it is expensive stuff.

BradleyGibson

Hi, t_streng,

Yes I have sold my Hy6 equipment.

I've actually moved to Phase AFD III and am using Zeiss FE glass with it. One of my key motivators was the ability to shoot long fast tele glass. The other was tht I found that the Sinar .IA/.BR/.WR workflow was too time-consuming.

I personally preferred the rendering of the Hasselblad CF/CFE glass when I was shooting that previous to my Hy6 system--I know that many people talk about the Schneider glass having the edge, but for me there was something I preferred from the Zeiss lenses. I doubt there is anything objective here, and it was not a major motivator.

Obviously the Hasselblad 200 series won't work with the Phase P45+, and certainly not in Mamiya mount, but I have been doing some research in my spare time starting last fall to find out what it would take to make everything come together on a 203FE. Basically, if I like the glass, why not use that glass on the system it was designed for?

Hope that helps,
-Brad

yongfei

"This listing (180321815061) has been removed or is no longer available. Please make sure you entered the right item number. "

Today I looked it up again and got the above message. So it looks like a scam.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
To bad it is in Contax mount for me otherwise I may jump on it but to switch mounts is 2500. Honestly though I would rather buy something like this from a reputable dealer in the US. Pretty risky buying international but it is a sign of the times.

Rethmeier

I certainly don't think that was a scam.
The amount of detail shots of the gear were impressive.

My Hy6/e75LVr is also on offer for $14.500 USD (see Buy&sell)

Is that too cheap as well? I think so too!

Willem.

gogopix

Subscriber
To bad it is in Contax mount for me otherwise I may jump on it but to switch mounts is 2500. Honestly though I would rather buy something like this from a reputable dealer in the US. Pretty risky buying international but it is a sign of the times.
Dear Guy,

You have had the M system too long (for you:rolleyes:) I think it is time you went for a fresh challange; a new system

Bid the Contax; as they say, try it-you'll like !

:angel:

Victor

PS Take a peak at the 100% crops from the P65+ I posted- 35 and 80mm handheld!

Last edited:

PeterA

Contax - tha last frontier ...( for me literally):ROTFL: love the body and now that I have myself a back with changeable adaptors..I am after a nice example with an adaptor for V lenses.:salute: