The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leaf 150 Back

vjbelle

I have an opportunity to purchase this back at an attractive price. I already have an IQ180 which I'm used to and happy with. This back would enable faster live view and the slightly different 'look' of cmos vs ccd. Are any user of this chip (any version Phase, Leaf, Hassy) happy and would recommend it? I'm aware of the wide angle challenge but more interested in just the overall satisfaction/dissatisfaction reactions.

Victor

Paul2660

See Guys review of the credo 50. I assume this is the same chip as in the 150. But did you mean IQ150? Or did Leaf also come out with a even cheaper version of the 50?

Paul

vjbelle

Paul,

All of the chips are the same and I'm assuming that all of the backs are pretty much the same with regards to image characteristics. The back that Guy is currently reviewing is the same one that I can purchase reasonably. The benefits aren't all that great when looking at my current workflow. Granted live view is similar to Nikon and much better than my 180 but the real need for it is only when I need critical focus 250' to maybe 1000'... a disto and HPF rings make live view unnecessary for images less than 250' other than for composition. Other than that I can't see any real benefit. My 180 has a really nice 'dreamy' smoothness to the files that I've never seen from a Nikon or any CMOS chip. Just looking around for feedback......

Victor

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I think its actually a phase 150. But yes it would be the same basic sensor. Just remember even under the same company blanket Phase and Leaf work on there own internal algorithms for there backs. From experience from the past they are slightly different in look. From internet lore phase tends to be better for landscape and leaf better for people. Now not sure that is all true or not but leaf owners love there look. Shooting the Credo 50 right now it's pretty darn nice, I'm sure the Phase 150 is very close to it but without side by side hard to say. Bottom line here though and this is the take away is I thought the CMOS sensors would not come close to the CCD backs, I'm starting to take back that thinking. These CMOS 50 mpx bring a really really nice file with some real functionality like live view and high ISO ability. That's a pretty big plus.

vjbelle

Guy,

I will have one in a couple of days and will have my own experience with the files. The really hard part for me is the crop factor..... I hate crop factors....:thumbdown:

Victor