The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

HELP: Arca-Swiss E-module Cloud

Hello all,

I'm currently on an Arctic expedition in Svalbard, and I'm having a major issue with my e-module Cloud. :cussing:

Instead of lens selections, all I get are the numbers 000077, 000053, 000050, 000045, 000048, 1 0L83, 100067, and 000115 when I press the power button repeatedly. And none of those numbers correspond with the lenses programmed for this unit ( SK 35, 43, and 72).

I am scheduled to set sail on Oct 4th (UTC+1) and will be unable to get online until I return.

Please help!

jagsiva

Did you recently remove the MicroSD card? I would first check to see if it is seated properly.

As a backup, do you have the focus charts? If not, I can forward you the 35 and 43.

I certainly didn't (intentionally) remove the mSD card, but none-the-less, I've tried removing and reinserting it. But no luck.

I do have the chart for the 43mm, but not the 72mm. (I don't have the 35mm lens with me.)

jagsiva

Just sent you a PM.

Also, on the remote chance you do silly things like I do, just make sure you've got the pins on the card facing the right way when you insert it.

RodK

JR I just sent you PDFs of the Correct DOF charts for your lenses and PDF's of the focus cards as well. Don't forget to add your focus factor.
Sorry for issue. Try the fixes suggested above and a full recharge.
Rod

jagsiva

He is likely referring to the offset calibration for your specific camera/DB combination. The standard factor you add to each chart value to account for any small deviation at inf. focus.

stngoldberg

Thank you Jag,
I am going to contact Rod for more information regarding my kit, although I have been pleased with my focus results between f8 and f11 where my lenses are generally the most sharp.
Stanley

stngoldberg

Here is Rod's response for you all to read:
Stanley,
Her you go:

A Focus factor is a number Arca-Swiss users use to precisely set infinity on our R series cameras. It takes into consideration how deep the pixels are in the sensor. Being organic, Sensors vary, unit to unit. All tech cameras, being as precise as they are should be tested for sharpest results and best color. Other manufacturers us a different procedure to set focus factor.

On an Arca-Swiss RM3di, you go out and find a target at 1 mile, or 1500-1600 meters. You must use a target that is at the 1 mile or 1500-1600 meter distance, with great detail such as cell phone tower, building, or non moving target with good fine detail.

After leveling the camera, you should set the focus wheel at 0, then 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6, making exposures at each focus position. Be sure to get a good exposure.
The aperture should be approximately the most commonly used aperture by the user. I use F11 as I shoot Landscape with backs typically 60mp or less.
Users with 80mp backs should shoot approximately F8 or F8.5.
This ensures that maximum depth of FOCUS, is achieved, to counter the focus shift, of especially the red wavelengths, in all lenses.
Make the exposures and examine your images at 100% on your computer.
Select the absolute best infinity focus and note which image it was in the order of the shots.
Say that the image # 1 was the best. That is your focus factor, 1.
When you focus the R series camera after that, add 1 to whatever number is indicated on the focus card, which is supplied with each lens, for a given distance.

You might also take note after discovering that, in our example #1 was best,
if #2 or #3 still had acceptable infinity. This is useful for a image environment where there are few if any objects at this infinity, yet you want a personal hyper-focal distance. My factor is #2, but in downtown Manhattan, for example with my 43mm, I typically use #3.5 or #4, as you typically can't see 1 mile very well, so I can concentrate on composing and exposing.
You can program the focus factor into an emodule so it is already taken care of. This makes the DOF readings extremely accurate if using this accessory.
Hope this helps.
Rod
Rod Klukas

US Representative
Arca-Swiss International
PO box 28450
Tempe, AZ 85285

(480) 755-3364