The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What camera should I buy?

torger

Fun :)

But actually, tech cams can be cheaper than Hassy H and Phase M. The thing is that their lenses are rather expensive, also the longer ones. Get say an Arca-Swiss Universalis and Schneider digitar lenses, it will be cheaper. If you're not into wide angle (product, food etc), Hasselblad CFV-50c, Arca-Swiss F-universalis and a few longer Schneiders will be substantially cheaper than a H5D-50c system with corresponding lenses. Cheaper back, cheaper body, cheaper lenses.

For example a Hassy H 120mm lens costs €4000, a Schneider Digitar 120mm ASPH with lens board costs €1700. Hopefully Hasselblad will eventually use the Japanese price on their CFV-50c back (€8k) also in the rest of the world, but still one needs to pay €12k here. Still a lot less than a H5D-50c with body which costs €21k. So, putting it together, H5D-50c with 120mm = €25k, CFV-50c F-Universalis Schneider Digitar 120 ASPH = 12 + 3.5 + 1.7 = €17.2k, if you buy back in Japan €13.2k. Phase One with IQ250... well we don't even need to start with that.

Kevin Sink

Excellent. I especially like the "pimped out in gold" reference. I also like the "why are you here and not out making money"..... I'm signing off now to bring in bacon for my kids college. Thanks for bringing levity to the forum!

narikin

Great, but, "I'm a Pro(broke)" should read:

"I'm an Artist (broke)"

they are the ones left using 8x10's nowadays!

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

I ended up with "Buy a DSLR and a couple of Otuses". Almost right for me…

But, what I consider right now is a Sony A9 and a couple Loxia lenses.

Why? I feel the mirror in the DSLR is an anachronism, I want a camera with no mirror. I do have the deepest respect for the Otuses, but I never use f/1.4 so I am more than happy to buy a lens with smaller maximum aperture at 30% of the price. But I want to see some tests on the Loxias before buying.

Now, why the A9? There is no A9 around! Well, I can wait. I want a camera with first electronic curtain, on sensor PDAF and resolution to match the lenses. I also want a larger battery, a good user interface and so on.

Can I switch Nikon/Canon/Panasonic? Yes, if someone makes good enough adapters for the lenses I am sitting on.

Panasonic is actually even small… but I may prefer a bigger sensor.

Something I would add is that I am really considering Sigma, some of the new lenses have a lot of promise. I have no issue dumping a Zeiss for a Sigma if the Sigma is the better performer.

Best regards
Erik

I don't know where this picture is from but you guys might have seen it many times? :D

torger

I think that must change "do you print" into "do you want to print" so I can end up at the right endpoint :). I print very little, but I gather images with a vision to print sometime in the future.

I like to carry heavy gear though, so the rest is fine. Well maybe not the kidney part.

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

Yes I was considering that print stuff, I print mostly A2. I carry 18 kg right now, but I don't carry far.

One small observation, going 4/3 can be smart. Telephoto lenses get small!

On the other hand I don't really like to go down in sensor size. Sony mirrorless is OK regarding size, and those new Loxia lenses seem to be quite OK. Still need a long tele, so tripod and telephoto lens dominates weight, unless I go down to 4/3.

If you go on international flight, it is nice to shrink weight below 10 kg (including bag), and it is also nice to have a backup body.

Best regards
Erik

I think that must change "do you print" into "do you want to print" so I can end up at the right endpoint :). I print very little, but I gather images with a vision to print sometime in the future.

I like to carry heavy gear though, so the rest is fine. Well maybe not the kidney part.