Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hasselblad CFV-50c live view

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Hasselblad CFV-50c live view

Quote Originally Posted by Egor View Post
    Having had both the IQ and Credo backs in for testing at our studio, we have found USB3 to be "wanting" on several fronts, especially compared to FW800.
    1. USB3 does not provide enough power to charge the backs
    -real world result = dead batteries in the middle of a long day of shooting
    2. USB3 does not allow cable length longer than 9ft
    -real world result = cables run across floor and can be a tripping hazard or we now must purchase specialized new cables and active extenders to boost the weak signal
    3. USB3 is just as fast as FW800,but not faster, and can not handle sustained thruput the way FW800 can with aplomb.

Not sure whats so great about it other than the first word in its TLA which is that it is "universal". They should have gone with Thunderbolt but whatever...It works and will have to get use to its quirks and live with it.

The Hasselblad looks like a fine system and at that price, amazing! It was just an overall system and support decision for us but if we were a Hassy studio I wouldn't have given it a second thought!
    I would tend to agree with your point about not charging. I have used a IQ260 tethered via USB3, to a Surface Pro 2, all field use. The tethered connection does seem to "extend" the normal battery life, which on a CCD back is much less than the CMOS 50MP backs. I base this on the fact that in the field with 2 3400 mllamp Phase batteries, I can shoot all day, 8 to 10 hours, and not need any other batteries, which before would have been needed. Around 5 more. I tend to shoot tethered for setup, then move to the card for the remaining shots, to save on SPro2 system battery life.

I also believe that in warmer conditions, say outside temps of 85 degrees F or higher, and over 75% humidity, the charging option may cause the back to heat up excessively and that REALLY created a lot of noise. Back in September, I was doing a shoot, at iso 50, which most times is very clean even with a 1.5 stop push, and on image review, I noticed that the images were all very noisy. While reviewing, I noted that my 260 was very warm to the touch. At that time I was doing a low/slow (I can't remember which term is used) to the back. I stopped this, and quit my shooting for 10 minutes, allowed the back to cool off, and then image quality returned.

On my 260, USB3 port is a bit tricky, in that if I happen put any movement on where the cable is inserted to the back, I can get a error, and no connection message.

I use a 6 foot and 9 foot cable in the field.

I only briefly tried the FW800 connection on a Macbookpro 15" and did not do a enough shoots to really see if the speed was equal or greater than USB3.

I do find that the USB3 connection to my S Pro 2 is very quick, so much so that I hate going back to the LCD and waiting on the view to refresh to 100% and back.

I can also see your cable length issue being a problem, however I have found that to be a problem with printers also, as most devices seem to spec at the 9 foot length.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

When you look at it like that, it's brilliant value, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by f8orbust View Post
    HB have taken a beating on the net over the years for various products they've put out, but this doesn't appear to be one of them. To be the first manufacturer to release a digital back with the latest sensor technology at a (relatively) sane price point deserves a huge slap on the back.

If anyone is contemplating going down the tech cam / digital back route, then this is hugely attractive. e.g. in comparison to the IQ250:

Post Thanks / Like

PS: Paula has added one more live view focus demo to the Knowledge Bank.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tjv View Post
    It's firewire 800, so should be more than adequate. More than speed, the bigger problem is that new MacBook Pro laptops etc. don't have firewire ports, although thunderbolt to firewire converters can be used. Again, not ideal if you're a hard core tethered shooter, but can be worked around easily enough.
    I think I fit the description of hard core tethered shooter
    I shoot tethered in studio all day using the Thunderbolt>FW 800 adaptor to an iMac using a 10 metre cable and it works perfectly. Never disconnects, rock solid.

Post Thanks / Like

"When you look at it like that, it's brilliant value, eh?"
    It would be if it were generally available for sub $10k USD. For the Tech camera user, $15k is a huge value; for the larger potential market of "V" series hobbyists, sub $9500 is probably the optimal price point.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SHV View Post
    It would be if it were generally available for sub $10k USD...
    Again, all things are relative - if you live in Japan, it is.

You could always take the $2500 bundle of cash in the picture above and put it towards a few days in Tokyo
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Having had both the IQ and Credo backs in for testing at our studio, we have found USB3 to be "wanting" on several fronts, especially compared to FW800.
    1. USB3 does not provide enough power to charge the backs
    -real world result = dead batteries in the middle of a long day of shooting
    Neither does Firewire via Thunderbolt Adapter. For static setups, if desired, one can use FW800 into a wall adapter if mains power is desired, and still use USB3 for the connection.

2. USB3 does not allow cable length longer than 9ft
    -real world result = cables run across floor and can be a tripping hazard or we now must purchase specialized new cables and active extenders to boost the weak signal
    I guess it is a "specialized cable" but USB3 goes beyond 10ft quite easily.

3. USB3 is just as fast as FW800,but not faster, and can not handle sustained thruput the way FW800 can with aplomb.
    This is not true on most high end configurations. Don't know what system you were benchmarking on, but the highest sustained shooting speed on an IQ250, IQ150, Credo 50 is accomplished via USB3, not FW.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Post Thanks / Like

Don't worry Doug, the CFV-50c is not a direct competitor to IQ250, in fact a key reason that Hasselblad can sell the CFV-50c at its own much lower price point is that it's locked to V mount and is thus not interesting for the vast majority of professional photographers who needs an H or M system for their work. If you want a H5D-50c you get to pay the usual amount. As far as I understand the CFV-50c pricing is there to cater a niche market of amateurs and artists having a beloved V system on the shelf.

Hasselblad has not really understood that there's a significant tech cam market out there though, and for that V mount works fine and the price point compared to the competition is just exceptional.

And now they seem to sell more than they can produce with months of waiting, at least in Japan. Hopefully this will show that a lower price point can work, and that it's not a law of nature that an MF digital back must cost $20-$40K.

Post Thanks / Like

Now that we've got the USB3 stuff out of the way...
    Last edited by tjv; 12th November 2014 at 10:45.