The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad CFV-50c live view

tjv

Thought I'd start a new thread to discuss this, as didn't want to move the older ones off track...

At Photokina, Hasselblad announced a firmware upgrade to enable live view on the back. A few people that saw it being demoed in the flesh (I can't remember who it was, sorry,) indicated that while not "great" it would be adequate for focusing on technical cameras. I think the refresh rate has been stated at between 10 and 12 fps. I'm wondering about things like lag, both in terms of general responsiveness and exposure?

I'd like to know if anyone has anything to add to the above information, or if anyone can describe how it performed in more detail? With Guy's Credo50 review using a tech cam, it's clear that this back is very good value for money if one can live with the documented limitations of movements. It's wayyyyy cheaper than the Phase and Leaf offerings, which I guess offer the gold standard for DMF live view at the moment.

All thoughts welcome...

Thanks,

TJV

tjv

No one seen or heard anything?
I was sent some samples taken using the CFV-50c and a range of lenses on a Linhof Techno and the results look great. Just wanting to hear about the performance of the on back live view, because if it's responsive and easy to work with, this back seems like a good option. Only problem is the crop sensor and needing the 32HR to give me my widest FOV... That lens is a mammoth!

torger

Just checked on the Hasselblad web site, the firmware with live view has not yet been released. So I guess there's some more waiting to do :-\

The CFV-50c is just fantastic value, I really do hope it works out.

torger

I just noted Linhof Studio together with Hasselblad is just now starting offering package deals with the CFV-50c plus tech body plus 40mm Digaron-W lens. Interesting indeed.

With the Techno the deal is at £15k / $25k. Tech cam systems have never been cheaper :). Body and lens is $11k so it's still not the Japanese pricing on the back though :-/

Anyway the kit is sold without sliding back so I assume they believe in the usefulness of its liveview

Last edited:

tjv

Actually, the Linhof & Studio package deals seem very cheap...
I'm going to send them an email to see what they're offering the back alone for, if they offer it...

tjv

I think I might just have to...
Might see the bank this week, but I want confirmation of what the live view performs like first...

tjv

I've asked Paula at Linhof & Studio to record a video of the CFV-50c live view in action when she attends the expo, which she said se'll attempt to do. She also returned with some sharp quotes for a back and accessories package. Fingers crossed this pans out as a good way for me to join the DMF club...

tjv

Anyone out there have any idea how this sensor performs with the Rodenstock 55mm APO-Sironar Digital?

f8orbust

Great stuff indeed - in particular, really nice when combined with the Techno (or any other bellows design) - looks like a perfect combination.

And this back is available new for under $10k (in Japan). Wow. I was holding out for a used IQ180, but to be honest the live view, high ISO performance and low (in relative terms) cost of this back moves it to the top of my Christmas list.

Anyone going to Japan?

miska

I'd be interested in knowing what the real prices in Europe / US are. I find it difficult to believe, that you need to travel to Japan to get a Swedish back cheaper. But you never know...

yongfei

I'd be interested in knowing what the real prices in Europe / US are. I find it difficult to believe, that you need to travel to Japan to get a Swedish back cheaper. But you never know...
Maybe mail-order is also a possibility? Not sure if anyone checked with the seller in Japan...

kdphotography

You know, Japan is simply a beautiful place to visit. :D

I keep seeing this post and thinking "what if" venerable H had been astute enough to opt for the USB3 standard instead of that old Firewire....

:) ken