The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Aptus 5 II issues

georg

Hi there,

i switched to digital MF a few weeks ago and I must say, I really like it.

Nevertheless my aptus bugs me a bit, maybe you guys can help me.
Basically all it does wrong is, that it looses the date everytime it's switched off.

Not that that has any influence on the photos, but it totally gets on my nerves.

Maybe someone here can help me?

Before I forget to mention it, I'm useing it with a Phaseone DF camera.

And sorry for my rather bad english, it's not my mother-tongue!

Thanks a lot,
cheers
georg

Paul2660

Was the back a used purchase? I bet there is an internal battery that keeps the day and time current that probably needs to be replaced.

My P45+ had the same issue about once every 18 months the battery failed.

P45+ it was not user replaceable. Had to go back to Phase One.

Paul

kdphotography

I was under the impression (at least with Phase) that MFDBs drew a small trickle from the battery (if left inside the compartment) which would power or maintain the date function, etc. and assuming an internal battery was depleted....

Doug? Yair?

Paul2660

I was under the impression (at least with Phase) that MFDBs drew a small trickle from the battery (if left inside the compartment) which would power or maintain the date function, etc. and assuming an internal battery was depleted....

Doug? Yair?
That was true with the P45+ but once you changed the main battery you lost the date\time if the internal battery was dead. On the P45 that small cell that would eventually die and need changing. Not sure if this is true on the IQ 1or 2 and Credos.

Paul

georg

Thanks for all the answers!

The internal battery-things seems to be very conclusive.

So, @archivue, could you ever solve the problem? Did you send it in or at least get a clear answer from leaf?

Thanks
georg

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Not just Leaf & Phase One btw. I have a CFV back with Alzeimer's too. I'm sure that I could send it in but as with Paul it'll most likely just die again later anyway.

torger

Old backs losing time is a classic, and as Graham says it happens to all manufacturers. I've seen it on a Hasselblad CF-22. The internal clock battery gets too old. I can't imagine that it would not be replacable if you send it in, but it will be a general service cost of ~€500. They will look through the back and clean it up internally etc too so it may be worth it, it should also raise the value of the back a little when sold again.

As far as I understand modern electronics have much better life-time on battery backup of the clock, if the right components are used.

yaya

Hi there,

i switched to digital MF a few weeks ago and I must say, I really like it.

Nevertheless my aptus bugs me a bit, maybe you guys can help me.
Basically all it does wrong is, that it looses the date everytime it's switched off.

Not that that has any influence on the photos, but it totally gets on my nerves.

Maybe someone here can help me?

Before I forget to mention it, I'm useing it with a Phaseone DF camera.

And sorry for my rather bad english, it's not my mother-tongue!

Thanks a lot,
cheers
georg
Hi Georg,

I suggest that you contact your local Mamiya Leaf dealer so that they can look at it for you.

BR

Yair

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I posted in another thread about a superb documentary that I think everyone should watch - "The Lightbulb Conspiracy" - it explains a lot about the crappy life of on board batteries and planned, or at least practical obsolescence. Basically, when its comes to failures, it'll piss you off enough to upgrade ... By design.

Last edited:

jotloob

Subscriber Member

Yes , welcome to the club . :thumbup:

My CFV-39 looses day and time as well (as did the CFV-16) .
If I leave the main battery attached , the D/T is not lost .
Replacing the main battery later should be done very quickly , otherwise you will loose D/T then .

Loosing D/T seems to be a common weakness to many digital backs , at least of the "older generations" . My CFV-50 does not suffer D/T loss .

My CFV-16 got the electronic D/T module replaced (under warrenty) .
This cured the issue . . . . but half a year later , the D/T loss was back again . :banghead:

kdphotography

I posted in another thread about a superb documentary that I think everyone should watch - "The Lightbulb Conspiracy" - it explains a lot about the crappy life of on board batteries and planned, or at least practical obsolescence. Basically, when its comes to failures, it'll piss you off enough to upgrade ... By design.

Phew! What a relief! So it's really not our fault after all....

Big sigh of relief: 6545M, P30, P45+, P65+, IQ180...:D