The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Help! Phase One and IQ180 ?stuck shutter

Pradeep

I am not sure what is going on here.

The problem appeared suddenly this morning, there was no picture on the preview or on pressing play, just a black frame. I was shooting with M.UP and self timer as the light was low. Initially I thought it was to do with the settings and maybe I was not doing something right. But nothing made a difference.

I tried three different lenses, two LS and one FS, changed the CF card, set the camera and the DB back to factory defaults, removed and changed batteries, tried remote trigger, various auto/manual settings, single vs continuous frames etc.

Then in frustration, I detached the DB and there was a sound as though the shutter had released. On reattaching the DB, the camera now took a proper picture, but only one shot and then it's back to black frames. The images are proper sized, and the word 'CAP' appears briefly on the VF display, the DB even does the 'dark frame subtraction' thing on long exposures, but the image is completely black.

The camera makes all the right sounds, of the mirror going up and the shutter releasing etc, writes to the CF card, IOW behaves exactly as it should, but the images are all black, unless I detach the DB and reattach it, then it takes just the one single shot that has the scene on it. Then it's back to black frames.

What is going on? Is the mirror stuck or is the camera shutter not opening? The problem occurs regardless of whether it is an LS or an FS lens on the body.

Please help. I have a feeling I will have to send it in for repairs. Hoping it is some stupid user error that can be fixed here.

Thanks in advance.

Pradeep

kdphotography

Check that you have the latest firmware on both the body and the IQ180. For severe lockups, shut body and MFDB off, remove the batteries (both body and back) and wait about ten seconds. Remove the lens as well. Make sure contacts are clean and reattach all the pieces.

In my experience, the lock-up phenomenon was related to the batteries. I advise against using normal alkalines (aka duracell) or rechargeable AAs. Use the lithium body battery pack from Phase or Ejji. Energizer Lithium AAs work well and are a great lightweight backup in the removeable battery carriage to pack in your bag. If the charge in the MFDB lithium battery drops too low, that can also cause lock-ups.

Once I shifted to the new EJJI battery pack for the DF body---no more lock-ups. I hope your solution is as easy.

Latest IQ firmware 5.11.36 can be found in my Dropbox here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/258ngmkjxewo04e/AACc8BqAnDOy7BANNftHsnnYa?dl=0

ken

jagsiva

Had it happened to me several times. Take everything out - lens, batteries (camera and back) then put it together.

Latest DF firmware seems to have fixed it for me.

Last edited:

Pradeep

Removing all the batteries, replacing with new ones, detaching all the components, no difference. Again, just takes one image correctly (with removal of the back).

Updated firmware of the IQ back to the latest 5.11.36, still the same. I cannot update the firmware of the camera itself (and I think that's where the problem is) since I do not have the V grip.

The only thing that works is detaching the back and then only for the single shot. I think I will have to take it into the dealer.

Thanks Ken, for the download of the firmware and the suggestions, thanks Jagsiva.

jagsiva

I think your best bet is to get the DF firmware updated.

Did you have the problem with the previous version of the DB firmware?

Pradeep

I think your best bet is to get the DF firmware updated.

Did you have the problem with the previous version of the DB firmware?
Yes, I guess I need the firmware update on the camera.

No, I've never experienced this before, but then I've only had the system for about a year and have taken less than 1000 pictures with it (been using my 1DX etc - I know, I know).

jagsiva

You can back out of the last DB firmware and install the previous version. I think you can only do this via USB3 and the firmware updater from a PC/mac.

Best route is still upgrading the DF firmware, but if you need to do something quickly, I would try the previous DB firmware version you had.

Pradeep

You can back out of the last DB firmware and install the previous version. I think you can only do this via USB3 and the firmware updater from a PC/mac.

Best route is still upgrading the DF firmware, but if you need to do something quickly, I would try the previous DB firmware version you had.
I think you can install the previous firmware directly from the menu if you have a CF card that has it.

The problem is that this whole thing started yesterday when I had the older firmware in the DB. I don't think it is the DB that is the issue but the camera.

I was testing the SK 240LS lens that I had rented for the weekend when the problem suddenly occured. I read somewhere that there are issues with the lens and its leaf shutter with the old firmware (that is, in the camera). I think that is what did it and now it is all messed up.

I just hope that the problem gets fixed with updating the FW on the camera for which I will still need to take it into the dealer. That's a real pain considering they are not open on a weekend and close at 5PM on a weekday. You would think that there should be a way to update the FW on the camera without having to buy a vertical grip for it. This camera body is so outdated, can't wait to see what P1 comes up with in the spring.

kdphotography

I'm pretty confident your dealer should be able to resolve the issue, albeit a pita to update the camera body firmware with the vertical grip. Another option is find someone with a vertical grip that can help out... or borrow one from your dealer, to ship out to you...

Pradeep

I'm pretty confident your dealer should be able to resolve the issue, albeit a pita to update the camera body firmware with the vertical grip. Another option is find someone with a vertical grip that can help out... or borrow one from your dealer, to ship out to you...
Thanks Ken, maybe the dealer will ship out a vertical grip for me to update the firmware with. Hope that is all it takes to fix this thing. I don't know anybody who even has the camera, much less a vertical grip.

Pradeep

Unfortunately updating the firmware on the camera (it only took when I detached the DB again) did not fix it. So it is going to the dealer. Thanks for your help everyone.

Pradeep

To add insult to injury, I am told the repair on the shutter will cost $700 since the camera body is not covered under the 'value-added warranty'. The shutter only has 900 actuations on it. I am really upset.