The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Help!!! (Monument Valley)

Vincent Goetz

Subscriber Member
Looking for a guide connection for Monument Valley. I know someone here did this two years ago and sent me the info. I saved it and cannot find it....

You can PM me if you wish.

btw, a nice blog going on with my airstream travels: About us - Alluminator

richardman

If you just go there and ask the Najavo guides, telling them your photographic experience and expectation, they should be able to find you a guide.

fotophil

We had a BAD experience with one of the Navajo Photo Guides, Fred Cly, in October 2012 involving a botched overnight trip to Hunt's Mesa.

kdphotography

Phil---you should have joined us a few years back to Monument Valley and Hunt's Mesa! That was shortly before Tom Phillips died----definitely "the guide" for Monument Valley. He was great and let my son Nicholas talk his ear off. We were his only clients on that tour.

Vince, it does look like his family has picked up where Tom has left off---and I'd trust that his family knows all the spots and times on where to be. See, Phillips Photography Tours

Btw, the Hunt's Mesa "camping trip" is not really camping. Tom's company does everything for you, including tents, sleeping bags, food, cooking, and clean-up. It's about as soft as it gets and more akin to sleeping in your backyard. It's worthwhile; lotta great memories with my son.

ken

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
My .02 only and it won't be popular -- Hunt's mesa is over-rated photographically mostly because it's been over-done. No doubt it is a good experience either as an overnight or simply an all-day event. There are a bunch of other, lesser known areas of MV that present amazing photographic opportunity.

All that said, I had a good experience using Nate Holiday, and would use his sons Sky and Shay and his brother Clint again without hesitation: (435) 727-3340 or cell: (928) 209-1364

fotophil

Ken:

We had scheduled our October 2012 Hunt's Mesa Trip with Tom a year in advance based upon the wonderful Monument Valley Tours that we had taken with him in the past. Unfortunately he passed away on Spring 2012. In addition to hIs passing being a great loss to his family and the Navajo Nation, the photographic community lost one of best (if not the best) Mounument Valley Photo Guides.

Petster

All that said, I had a good experience using Nate Holiday, and would use his sons Sky and Shay and his brother Clint again without hesitation: (435) 727-3340 or cell: (928) 209-1364
We have been out there with Clint and had a great day. Great guy, great knowledge where to go when. Highly recommendable.

algrove

Ken:

We had scheduled our October 2012 Hunt's Mesa Trip with Tom a year in advance based upon the wonderful Monument Valley Tours that we had taken with him in the past. Unfortunately he passed away on Spring 2012. In addition to hIs passing being a great loss to his family and the Navajo Nation, the photographic community lost one of best (if not the best) Mounument Valley Photo Guides.
Agree with all said about Tom. I was on his last tour just a few days before his passing. His cousin Ray was doing very good Hunt's Mesa tours back then. His son Carlos was getting into it and by now should be up to speed. After I left they were planning to relocate behind a church on the right side of the road going towards Gouldings from the main highway. Tom's daughter drove a red Ford pickup at the time and they used 4x4 Suburbans to take you up to Hunt's Mesa. Maybe it's now overdone, but the drive up and over huge boulders is a trip I will never forget.