The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad H5D-40 on techcam

TuomasU

Hi,
I have a Hasselblad H5D-40 and would be interested in experiences on using it on techcam such as Cambo or Silvestri. I am aware of the limitations due to microlense sensor but haven't found anyone with first hand experience with the setup. I have received a lot of oppinions on this but hardly any first hand experience from someone actuslly using this system.

The desired setup for me is to use it on Silvestri or Cambo with Digaron 23mm lense. I am interested in the following:

- Is colorcast a real issue here, and if so, how big movements will work (shift only)?
- is there a crop factor with this setup - what is the actual mm compared to full frame DSLR?
- is the use of center filter recommended?
- any other practical advice?

I know there are better digibacks to work with techcams, but this is the back I have right now.

Kind regards,
Tuomas

torger

I would love to help out and I have test files for a lot of combinations, but the Kodak 40 megapixel sensor is unfortunately an unknown for me in this context. I have test files from the H5D-40 but none with tech cam lenses :-(

To use it with a tech camera is a very rare combination for sure...

Steve Hendrix

Hi,
I have a Hasselblad H5D-40 and would be interested in experiences on using it on techcam such as Cambo or Silvestri. I am aware of the limitations due to microlense sensor but haven't found anyone with first hand experience with the setup. I have received a lot of oppinions on this but hardly any first hand experience from someone actuslly using this system.

The desired setup for me is to use it on Silvestri or Cambo with Digaron 23mm lense. I am interested in the following:

- Is colorcast a real issue here, and if so, how big movements will work (shift only)?
- is there a crop factor with this setup - what is the actual mm compared to full frame DSLR?
- is the use of center filter recommended?
- any other practical advice?

I know there are better digibacks to work with techcams, but this is the back I have right now.

Kind regards,
Tuomas

HI Tuomas -

Here is content from my post on LL that inquired about this:

It's primarily going to depend on how much you want to shift.

Large micro-chipped sensors from models like the P21+/P30+/HXD-31/HXD-40 will all exhibit lens cast sooner than smaller or non-microchipped sensors. We do have a (very) small number of users who shoot P21+/30+ on tech cameras, they just don't shift very much. For lens considerations, it is important to keep in mind the angle of view you require, as well as any perspective correcting movements. Sometimes a wide lens that is not as ideal as others (for example SK 35mm Digitar) can be a very usable lens depending on your required angle of view (even on 60/80 megapixel sensors).

To get an idea of how much more cast you're comparatively dealing with, below are jpg versions of LCC files from a Phase One IQ140 and a Hasselblad H4D-40 to give you an idea of the degree of cast you can expect. Both digital backs were shot with a Schneider 47mm APO Digitar shifted left 15mm (on Alpa Max). In this case, the usability of the Hasselblad file is going to be reduced in the neighborhood of 20% due to the extreme nature of that cast.

Per your questions, the 23mm might be able to shift slightly on your H4D-40 sensor, meaning 3mm - 4mm, - ish, perhaps. It's a small image circle (70mm) that is also further reduced from a usability standpoint by the design of the H4D-40 sensor. Yes a center filter would help a bit, but considering the cost of the center filter (nearly $1,000), I don't know that it would be worth the expense for your configuration. Equivalent focal length would be 18mm on your H4D-40 vs 15mm on a 60/80 (54mm x 40mm) megapixel sensor.

TuomasU

Steve,
Thanks again, I believe it was my post that you replied on LL in the first place.

Do you think it would make much difference in terms of shifting if I used 28mm Digaron or Super Digitar 28mm XL. That woul be then equivalent to 23mm in DSLR?

Tuomas

Steve Hendrix

Steve,
Thanks again, I believe it was my post that you replied on LL in the first place.

Do you think it would make much difference in terms of shifting if I used 28mm Digaron or Super Digitar 28mm XL. That woul be then equivalent to 23mm in DSLR?

Tuomas
It would make a little difference, add a couple mm, perhaps.

Generally, for the enhanced micro-lensed CCD sensors like the 31 megapixel Kodak (found in P30/31+, H3d-31/H3D-II 31/H4D-31) and the 40 megapixel Kodak (H4d-40/H5D-40), you shouldn't count on getting more than a few mm (3mm - 5mm at most) shift on any of the wide lenses.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration