The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New digital MF Rangefinder….

tjv

But will it be pretty much perfect, like the film Mamiya 7ii? And will it be a rangefinder? Looking forward to this one!

weinlamm

I'm very curious what will come in real... Let's wait for a while...
Perhaps a camera with which it is possible to adapt some other lenses... (I hadn't found anything about the real flange focal distance of the Mamiya 7-system, but somewhere anybody had written 60mm).

Ken_R

The pieces are out there to make it (a compact interchangeable lens medium format digital camera) it is just a matter of putting it together with current technology I mean think of it as a larger Fuji X-E2

narikin

Yes the new Zeiss 55mm lens design, as used in the remarkable Otus 55mm, and the excellent Sony 55mm ZA lens, could be reworked to be the perfect 'standard' everyday lens for a MF digital rangefinder. Reduce the maximum aperture and increase the image circle, and this would be a great fit.

The Mamiya 7 lenses are indeed very good, but were structured around 6x7 format, so too long for a less-than-645 sensor. I also wonder if a digital sensor might reveal flaws in those older designs, that were not apparent when using film.

Personally I'd expect it will be a fixed lens camera, like the RX1 - some kind of RX-M. That suits me perfectly, though I appreciate it's not for everyone.

BlinkingEye

Please explain who the market (in the long-run) is for a fixed lens camera.

In the mean time there is the Leica S-series..........

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
You are probably safe then Woody...

I suspect this is an existing 645 style sensor from the current group of new cameras with CMOS.

Would be pleased with 6x6 or 6x7.

Bob

narikin

All the people who buy Sony RX1 (/R) cameras, and want to step it up; all pros who want a compact walk about with big sensor/file quality; all the people who bought premium full frame fixed lens compacts back in the film days (titanium bodied Contax's, Rollie's, etc); the people who loved Mamiya 7's but only used 1 lens really; documentary photographers who want to keep it light and simple and quiet, but need larger files; and... me!

Of course all this is pure conjecture. It's kind of surprising that if this was coming, it wasn't announced at Photokina, but is possible.

Maybe it's changeable lenses, or a fixed zoom lens, but I think a fixed lens RX1-on-steroids is the most likely scenario. But again, it's all wishful thinking!

Steve Hendrix

In the mean time there is the Leica S-series..........

The Leica S series is not a fixed lens camera, in fact it is extremely the opposite, accepting lenses from Leica S, Hasselblad V and H, Contax, and Mamiya.

In answer to your primary request -

Who wouldn't want one, assuming they could afford it?

I personally prefer interchangeable lens systems, but fixed lens solutions from Sony and Sigma have seemed to be pretty successful products, don't see why anyone would have trouble selling a larger and higher quality version.

My bottom line to manufacturers is - don't limit camera options, produce as many options as possible, as long as you can feasibly (from a financial standpoint) do so. That goes for end users as well - don't poop on choice! ;)

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

This rumor has been around for a long time, and I would say it is a rumor.

Most often it is talk about a Mamiya 7 like camera. Now, the Mamiya 7 is intended for 6x7 film. To me it seems that putting a 44x33 mm sensor on what would be a 69x54 mm frame is not a great idea.

Another noteworthy thing is that Mamiya is now owned by Phase One. The rumor also indicates price point below Pentax 645Z. Is it not very probable that Phase One would cooperate with Sony in producing a low price competitor.

My guess is that it is a persistent and not very substantiated rumor. It makes some sense that Sony would release something based on the 44x33 mm sensor, but marrying it to a Mamiya 7 body is something I don't see happen.

Best regards
Erik

Just saw this on Photorumors…..50mp cmos rangefinder (Zeiss/Sony/Mamiya)

Interesting, to say the least!

Shashin

Well, as an owner of a Widelux, Hexar AF and RX-1, with the fact that Leica and Fuji still have their fixed-focal length cameras in production, I guess a lot of people. High-end fixed lens cameras have been around for a while.

Shashin

I doubt this camera will be a coupled rangefinder. That is an extremely costly camera to produce. It will most likely, if the rumors are true, a mirrorless--EVIL or EVFL.

BlinkingEye

The Leica S series is not a fixed lens camera, in fact it is extremely the opposite, accepting lenses from Leica S, Hasselblad V and H, Contax, and Mamiya.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Yes, I understood all that when I made the original post. I guess I wasn't clear with my point. My overarching point was even thought the Leica is TTL and not a range finder, it is a vertically-oriented body when compared to the other MF offerings.