Site Sponsors

Thread: Anyone have a 64GB CF card?

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone have a 64GB CF card?

I heard from Dave at Capture integration today my P65+ is in, and Karen tells me I should be here to sign for it tomorrow.

Geee... to bad I won't be able to try it till the weekend

or....

:-)

Victor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Anyone have a 64GB CF card?

You should be able to resolve a mosquito's nose @ 1000 yards with that bazooka! You are going ot redefine 'pixel peeping' mate - looking forward to your views - me? Iam downsizing megapixels. -

Post Thanks / Like

I can do that with my kodak brownie
    you should SEE the moquitoes around here!

Anyway, I was sorely tempted to NOT upgrade; P45+ not getting the action and on travel using more th M8

BUTTTTT... the new 4 pixel high ISO mode of the P65+ seems to really work yielding great 15MP files (we'll see!)

On file size, I am a bit worried; I have a 2 'quad' process 64bit with 8GB..

on my last C1 session from an 8GB card I "ran out of memory"

dont ask how

so, where are you MP going? sounds like you are on the list for an S2.
    regards
    Victor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Victor,

Congrats on your new baby!!! Can't wait to see some images from the P65+ taken through that Contax glass; so please post some asap!

Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Victor,

Throw a little 15MP high ISO love our way when you have a chance ... inquiring minds want to know.

Kurt

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if the title was rhetorical or not, but http://www.ptiglobalusa.com/pr64gbcfca23.html.

Never done business with them, so be sure to check them out before handing over your cc#!

-Brad

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very interested in seeing your take on the 60 meg monster. The Hassey version is due this year, and I'd like to see how much you really gain. Did you have a P45+ prior to the 60 Victor?

64 gig CF card ... Holy Moly! Wasn't that long ago a 1 gig Microdrive was $500. and you had to handle it with a pillow under your hands.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Very interested in seeing your take on the 60 meg monster. The Hassey version is due this year, and I'd like to see how much you really gain. Did you have a P45+ prior to the 60 Victor?

64 gig CF card ... Holy Moly! Wasn't that long ago a 1 gig Microdrive was $500. and you had to handle it with a pillow under your hands.

To me, the 21.5MP - 38.5MP of extra resolution is only part of the reason for considering a P65+. This is a completely unique product with regard to medium format digital backs. Phase One has collaborated with Dalsa on creating an upgradeable, programmable sensor. This does two things:

*allows for some unique functionality.

*produces a much longer term investment, as your existing product can gain enhanced functionality via firmware upgrades.

We call this Sensor +.

If you think of recent generations of Phase One DB's, take the 22MP sensor for example. The H25, P25, and P25+ all use the same sensor. Yet they are 3 separate products, with different capabilities, different costs of upgrade, etc. And yet for many, more resolution and sensor size is needed/desired than 22MP/49mm x 37mm. The P65+ delivers that with 60.5MP/54mm x 40mm (effective full frame 645). Those who will need/desire more than that are few, so that part of the equation will be largely satisfied.

It's the additional upgradeable features that are the real key to this product as an investment. The ability to double the shooting speed with a firmware update, to reduce the resolution and increase the ISO performance with a firmware update, etc. Traditionally, upgrades like these meant you were buying a new back.

This is what sets the P65+ apart. It's a product that fulfills resolution and lens coverage desires, but provides an excellent value against "upgrade cost syndrome".

FYI - the unit at MOAB does not have Sensor + installed, so the high ISO, and reduced size will not be shown from that trip. Sensor + is supposed to ship with units that begin shipment in late February. Anyone receiving their unit beforehand will receive that update free, of course.

There's been so much emphasis on the megapixel rating of this product, but it's a class-leading product in almost all facets and has the extra flexibility of feature enhancement through future upgrades via Sensor +.

For now -

*60.5 or 15 Megapixels
    *ISO 50 - 1600
    *60 frames per minute
    *Resistant to color shifts with technical cameras
    *Effective Full Frame 645 - the first!

This is just a starting point. With Sensor +, enhancements will be added via firmware, making this a better investment long term than a product without Sensor + technology.

Steve Hendrix
    Phase One

Post Thanks / Like

Well Iam in the middle of a two day meeting and barely had a chance to "thaw" the FEDEX box (25 degrees F) to make sure no issues

Got a few frames off the P45+ and P65+

Now 50% more pixels is just 25% or less linear detail improvement, so can't get THAT excited about it.

I like the new philosophy as stated above, and think long term this is a bit better than the 25>45>45+ that I did.

Right now here's what it does

45+ full and crop

65+ full and crop

Victor
    Last edited by gogopix; 25th January 2015 at 17:23.

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations, Victor. And thanks for sharing a couple of test shots!

Much appreciated,
    Brad

Post Thanks / Like

well, unlike some sites, here the images are scrunched to the same size.
    in "actual pixels' view there is a LOT more detail in the P65+ crop (it is actually bigger when viewed in any viewer at 100%

how can people see that?

victor

PS this is pretty useless for evaluating
    if anyone wants the raw or 'develop' files i woiuld be happy to 'yousendit' to them

Again the change in resolution I think a small part of the 45 to 65 upgrade.

post or PM me an email and I will send the monster files

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Victor,
    Thumbs up to you for going forward while many of us (me included) count our diminishing pile of marbles daily. Good luck with this and I hope you find it worth the investment.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a few interested and will post tomorrow. in the meantime you can see the full glory, but jpgs at my site

pix4.vicgogolak.com

it is coppermine, and if you click on an image you get the full monty! (that is, 39 and 60 MP resp exept for the PS crops and reductions. These SHOULD be obvious! LOL

Victor

PS some are 45 some 65 some are Contax 35mm some 80 mm
    and a few with alpa and schneider 35mm

you can figure it out! :-)
    Last edited by gogopix; 29th January 2009 at 20:05.

Post Thanks / Like

BTW, so far Contax glass really holding up at least at f8 (even look at the edges!)

over the weekend we will try full aperture and try the High ISO 15MP function

I will try in a closet with ISO 3200 full aperture, 30s, with one firefly

Victor

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    Victor,
    Thumbs up to you for going forward while many of us (me included) count our diminishing pile of marbles daily. Good luck with this and I hope you find it worth the investment.
    No choice; committed months ago.

NOW, the P45+, it looks pretty damn good, no?

and I still want to see if the 65 in 15MP is better than the 30

but, don't need sharpening tools anymore!

(I put that $29.95 towards the new P65+

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hendrix/Phase One View Post
    To me, the 21.5MP - 38.5MP of extra resolution is only part of the reason for considering a P65+. This is a completely unique product with regard to medium format digital backs. Phase One has collaborated with Dalsa on creating an upgradeable, programmable sensor. This does two things:

*allows for some unique functionality.

*produces a much longer term investment, as your existing product can gain enhanced functionality via firmware upgrades.

We call this Sensor +.

If you think of recent generations of Phase One DB's, take the 22MP sensor for example. The H25, P25, and P25+ all use the same sensor. Yet they are 3 separate products, with different capabilities, different costs of upgrade, etc. And yet for many, more resolution and sensor size is needed/desired than 22MP/49mm x 37mm. The P65+ delivers that with 60.5MP/54mm x 40mm (effective full frame 645). Those who will need/desire more than that are few, so that part of the equation will be largely satisfied.

It's the additional upgradeable features that are the real key to this product as an investment. The ability to double the shooting speed with a firmware update, to reduce the resolution and increase the ISO performance with a firmware update, etc. Traditionally, upgrades like these meant you were buying a new back.

This is what sets the P65+ apart. It's a product that fulfills resolution and lens coverage desires, but provides an excellent value against "upgrade cost syndrome".

FYI - the unit at MOAB does not have Sensor + installed, so the high ISO, and reduced size will not be shown from that trip. Sensor + is supposed to ship with units that begin shipment in late February. Anyone receiving their unit beforehand will receive that update free, of course.

There's been so much emphasis on the megapixel rating of this product, but it's a class-leading product in almost all facets and has the extra flexibility of feature enhancement through future upgrades via Sensor +.

For now -

*60.5 or 15 Megapixels
    *ISO 50 - 1600
    *60 frames per minute
    *Resistant to color shifts with technical cameras
    *Effective Full Frame 645 - the first!

This is just a starting point. With Sensor +, enhancements will be added via firmware, making this a better investment long term than a product without Sensor + technology.

Steve Hendrix
    Phase One
    Thanks Steve yes we have a pre-production unit here in Moab and actually a different one than Jack and I tested in Yosemite. I personally have not shot much with it yet but a quick test with it and the P25plus . Just going by the color alone it has much improved since the last time. This is a sweetie of a back and the sensor + technology actually solves a big issue for me a high ISO and lower res file would be very handy with event work and such. So for me looking at the brighter side of this it would actually take away my need for a high ISO DSLR. Right now today i am shooting the P25 Plus but I am pushing it's limits sometimes on the high ISO stuff . So the reality is it would actually save me money and solve a issue I have today. Obviously my jump up is costly but to get a full Nikon D3 and several lenses is also. So yes from a Pro point of view there is some real ROI here. I like to see Phase actually continue with this with there whole line.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the YOUSENDIT link
    there are two raw files, zipped, oe p45+ one P65+

The files are really easy to use, nmow that I figured out C1 v4

https://www.yousendit.com/download/W...cVg1UjUzZUE9PQ

I will post some others, but gotta get back to making the dough for this stuff.

Victor

PS: There are a bunch more pix at

pix4.vicgogolak.com

but they are jpgs. However, not bad and they have ALL the pixels.
    Last edited by gogopix; 29th January 2009 at 20:43.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"So the reality is it would actually save me money ..." Guy Mancuso, January, 2009.

Uh, oh. That slope looks slippery.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    "So the reality is it would actually save me money ..." Guy Mancuso, January, 2009.

Uh, oh. That slope looks slippery.
    well, maybe mine is 'preproduction too
    came with only one of three cables, no user manual
    and a note that says

:Live preview and sensor+" don't work yet on your back"

Not exactly the best PR. I was told this back would come in March and was happy to wait. They shouldn't send $40K items out that are not ready

I am sure Dave at CI is not happy to hear this, (though I am sure he has little control over what P1 sends) and yes, I do believe all will be taken care of but.....

...don't get me wrong; this back is amazing, but I actually bought more for sensor+ than the extra MPixels...sooo..

Victor

PS serial number is EK210000

not even a ONE at the end!

Last edited by gogopix; 30th January 2009 at 06:21.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gogopix View Post
    well, unlike some sites, here the images are scrunched to the same size.
    See how the cursor changes to a hand when you scroll over them? If you se that with any image on this site and click once (or some hosts like yours require twice), you get to the full sizes as you have them on your particular host

Cheers,
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

I must be doing something wrong
    when I click with the hand, both get SMALLER
    on the same screen, when I open in actual pixels in viewers (eg image and fax viewer in windows)I can see images twice as lorge (these are both natively over 1000 wide

Is there some setting?

thx
    Vic

PS BTW I am known as a 'gorilla tester'
    if it can be broken, I will do it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Victor,

The first click takes you to the initial render on *your host* site. So you need to click one more time on your hosts first image. Most hosts do have the initial image smaller as it saves load times, some trim every upload, however we allow you to upload the full file to your album. **However 2, if you just add them as attachments on our site, they will be sized to a max of 900 pix.**

So, if you want to show a full sized jpeg on our site, you need to first load it into your gallery or some other host site that allows a full size upload, then link to it from the post. When you do the upload to our gallery, three versions of your file will be generated, the original, a thumb, and a 900 pixel intermediate image -- you can link to any of them to put into the post.

Hope that helps,
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone have a 64GB CF card? NEW RAW

ok
    on LL someone pointed out that the 45 and 65 were focused different (I did here first, but...:-)

I wanted infinity and near focus, but sent one for 45 and one for 65 (can't remember. STM going; if you don't know what that means, you ain't over 65 yet!

messed up the focus of the 45 and 65 are reversed
    here are the counterparts (you now have 4 raw if you bothered to download the other ones.)
    you will have now raw of infinity focus and pole focus for 45 and 65

https://www.yousendit.com/download/W...TWNCMTUzZUE9PQ

Victor
    Last edited by gogopix; 31st January 2009 at 08:28.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Victor,
    my wife saw your sample pics and is keen to know what part of the country you live in. It's very beautiful.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Victor may want to check this out . Jack and I did a pre production test with the P65 Plus and the P45 plus and my P25 plus . We also just had it here in Moab at our workshop

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4333
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com