The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

photo expo 2014

jlm

Workshop Member
checked out a few things only first hand viewing can provide:

cambo actus, capture integration: a very nice kit. since all focus is done on the rail, all lenses need no helicoid (your WRS lenses would need to be modified). in addition, demands live view on the back (no infinity stop to get you in range) extremely well made. saw the MF and Sony AR versions. wide lens selection with short focal lengths will be limited, yet to be fully determined. Phase 250 is very nice with this setup and wifi will let you view the live feed on your i-pad, but i didn't try it to check load time or image quality. makes you realize how useful live view is for technical cameras

Arca rail camera, Digital transitions: very similar to the actus; advantage is it will accept the same mounts as the Arca RM tech camera lenses

Leaf Credo 250: very nice display and touch screen, no wifi, so you need tethering to a computer running Capture 1 to port off the live view to an external screen

hasselblad C50-v: wanted to like this baby and the V version is beautiful, complementing the V design quite well. however a few issues: the battery is external, mounted below and a bit of a pig
you cannot mount it with the battery to the SWC without some sort of extension plate (they didn't have one). mounted it to my SWC (w/o battery) and it was a beautiful extension to the body, not much different from a film back. it can't be rotated with respect to the body. live view had not been implemented yet; with any of the V cameras the use will be fiddly: wind shutter, lock up the mirror, put shutter in bulb, (keeping it open with finger of cable release stop) set aperture to get viewable exposure, etc. seems like live view would be of little use with an SLR and the battery with extension and crop factor would minimize the appeal with the SWC. main advantage to CMOS would be the better high ISO performance, not live view

no wifi, i don't think it has usb3, will tether with firewire using Phocus on your computer

saw a lot of helicopter drones and they are way cool

Last edited:

jagsiva

I was there on Thursday and saw the CFV at the Hassey booth. It did have live view working over there. It did have a huge battery hanging underneath, but the guy said it was an extended battery and a smaller one was available.

LV looked quite good. Much better than my CCD IQ180, but not like a Sony or Canon. The screen was not as good as the IQ series, but much better than P series or the Aptus series. LV appeared to be about 12fps and you could do the usual zoom in for focus.

tjv

Jagsiva, with regards to the live view refresh rate, do you think it'd be adequate for focusing accurately and without too much frustration? I'm so used to using a ground glass and rocking the focus to find the optimum focus point, which of course I do with a loupe. It's an easy process though and I worry that the low (ish) refresh rate might make it a bit frustrating when fine tuning things if there is a small delay?

jagsiva

I think if you use GG, you should not have a problem. The image looked quite stable and the refresh was not a hinderance. These two issues are what make the CCD LV unusable for me.

I'm sure someone will post a video of this soon.

tjv

Thanks. Everyone that's seen it in action says it's good, but I haven't had the chance to see it in person. Paula will indeed post a video of it in action next week, I believe. Just wish I had the opportunity to demo it and try it under the circumstances I'd like to use it, and with the movements I require. Guys samples of the Credo 50 are very promising in this regard, but always best to try yourself, eh?