The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I would like to know wich camera system offer that nice color

Art Sanchez

Hi guys, i'm new here.
I am architectural photographer and i love the color coming from the images of this two guys, that are identical:

Scott Frances:

Scott Frances - House

Joe Fletcher:

Projects

Does anyone know with wich system or camera/digital back are they shot?
I have used Sony a7r and Canon 5dIII and these images aren't definitely coming from this cameras.

Thanks in advance!

Stuart Richardson

Most of those photos are the result of good technique and then they are substantially worked in post processing (particularly Joe Fletcher's). There is really nothing in those images that you couldn't replicate with an A7r or 5DIII.
Here is an article from Scott Frances where he talks about his methods, which include layering different exposures and so on. Apartment Therapy Interviews: Scott Frances | Apartment Therapy

Different cameras have different color palettes, but in general it is a bit more about personal preference and a good starting point than it is a requirement. And just buying a medium format digital camera is not going to solve your problems. The color may be good, but it is not going to solve all your issues in one fell swoop if you have the same camera as these two guys. They could very well have the 5DIII and A7r!

Stuart Richardson

Shashin

You would also need his light...

As Stuart pointed out, color is not simply a product of the camera.

D&A

...and here I thought the best color can be obtained by whatever camera body I currently have for sale :).

Seriously, I very much agree with Will. Light in my opinion is first and foremost an extremely important visual element and sets a foundation for captured image. Rarely can it be solely created simply by post processing means. The latter may enhance and alter it to a degree realistically, but no substitute. This is an over simplification of course but you get the point.

Dave (D&A)

raycox

It appears that you got the same answer here that you did on the luminous-landscape post, only seven pages shorter and without all of the engineers chiming in. Will and Dave are right. Good technique, the right light, and finally the post processing. Your equipment will provide excellent results.

Ken_R

It appears that you got the same answer here that you did on the luminous-landscape post, only seven pages shorter and without all of the engineers chiming in. Will and Dave are right. Good technique, the right light, and finally the post processing. Your equipment will provide excellent results.
Jajaja. Exactly. A few of those engineers post here too but not as much and are generally more mellow here. Those LL discussions get so techie and its like groundhog day. They keep trying to hammer in the same points over and over and over and over to the same people. Talk about stubbornness.

They (and others) also keep pounding on Phase to lower prices over and over (and to a lesser degree to replace their Mamiya DF+ body with something better) like if grilling them on Forums is gonna have an effect.

That outta the way my response is that (from the sensor/camera) you want to have the deepest and most malleable file possible so you can manipulate it in post-processing cleanly to get high quality results. Once you have a suitable file then it's a matter of being good at processing files. For that you need quality software (there are several choices), being knowledgeable (training / experience helps) in using that software and having vision and good taste (that can't be taught).

Of course all that is post capture. Before and During Capture you need a good subject and light (to achieve your vision), composition (again to achieve your vision) and a lens to help you achieve that.

As you can see the camera is just one part of many and most times not the most critical one given that today there are many high quality choices.

Remember. First you need to want and know how to do something then get the gear that helps you achieve that.

synn

Haha. I feel increasingly disinterested about posting at Lula for the exact same reasons.
Thank god actual photographers outnumber engineers here!