The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

My good buys

tashley

Subscriber Member
So, for those who dread my switch to Hassy in case I jinx the entire range, good news: I have settled to keep with the Phase 1 gear and just decided that I have to test each item I buy carefully and not get too tee'd off when stuff is not up to spec.

So a few weeks ago I posted images from a brand new Mammy 28D I'd bought which was fuzzy as heck wide open... some people said 'doh, it's wide open' and others said 'doh, take it back'. I took it back. Then had another that did the same. Took it back.

Yesterday my dealer said as I was heading out the door 'oh by the way...' and produced a second hand one. It's a heck of a sight better! To be honest even at F11 I could ask for slightly better corners but hell, it was £1800 and it's pretty darned good!

On top of that and in the same batch he had an 'old style' (Pre-Phase) Hartblei for £395 so I gave it a run. It's a damned sight better than the loaner I had, not too shabby at distances of twenty foot or more just rather fuzzy on the sides closer up and at wider apertures. It's really not much more than an expensive lensbaby but at a push, being careful and using the centre 2/3rds of the frame and breathing evenly, it produces files that look sharpish at the edges and pretty good on centre, even when shifted...

So, a good day! And I also ordered a Slvestri BiCam with flexi bellows and sliding stitching back, with a Schneider 38. Yum yum....

Here's a comparison of the first and second Mammy 28s wide open. I'll post comparative Hartblei shots as soon as I can get to the location of my first trial shoot with the one I have now... guess which is which? Both 100% centre crops.

View attachment 11364

View attachment 11363

Last edited:

etrigan63

Heck of a difference! I have a pre-Phase Hartblei Super Rotator on my Nikon. Thanks to the much smaller sensor, I don't suffer from the fuzzy edges issue. Here is a six shot stitch with my Hartblei:

tashley

Subscriber Member
Heck of a difference! I have a pre-Phase Hartblei Super Rotator on my Nikon. Thanks to the much smaller sensor, I don't suffer from the fuzzy edges issue. Here is a six shot stitch with my Hartblei:
Blimey, that does look sharp!

Don Libby

Sounds like you're on the right track congratulations on the buys.

(I just added an image on the Fun thread taken with my 28.)

don