Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Advise on Tilt

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Advise on Tilt

Quote Originally Posted by jagsiva View Post
    Dan's suggestion was not really to move the camera wrt to subject distance, but rather to put it higher on the tripod and use back rise (lens fall) to get a similar composition.
    Yes, key is 'similar' composition. My workaround is not going to give the exact same image, but close enough in most cases as not to alter the main 'vision' in the shot.
    I'm also not talking about huge differences in height of the cam, if original position is as low as possible, lets say: 10cm from the ground and you have the first rock 30cm in front of you, by raising the cam to maybe 50cm height and introduce a fall on the lens, then it is not only the actual distance that has increased slightly to that first stone, but also quite often it allows you to focus beyond that first stone slighty.
    And starting a focus stack @30cm or @1 metre means less exposures.
    Alpa FPS • MAX • TC | Alpagon 32Hr | Helvetar 75 | Schneider 120N | Leaf Aptus II 5 • Leaf Credo 60 | www.danlindberg.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Regarding the discussion of using rise/fall and changing the camera height, I guess I just don’t see how moving the camera up a few inches or even a foot and then using shifts to get a similar cropping would add enough difference in regards to focus and depth of field. This would only change the distance to the foreground a minimal amount, maybe an inch or two. And while the overall crop would be similar, the perspective effective of the canyon floor would be different.

I use rise/fall in cases like this too, but usually just trying to keep the camera closer to level, and camera height is based on the foreground to infinity perspective I think looks good.
    wayne
    My gallery

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Im with Wayne on this. I don't understand what a couple inches would accomplish especially with a lens that can only move a few mm. If we had a view camera with all the movements in place, maybe so. But only one tech cam can do swing and tilt at the same time thats Cambo and even than in this situation you could get one side only than have to take the other side with swing and tilt and blend it anyway. If it was me it would definitely be a 3 or 4 frame focus stack.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy, I think focus stack is the most practical option while still preserving near-optimal file quality. When I get a chance, I will test what Dan suggested and post here, I am curious now.