Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Phase One A Series

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Phase One A Series

Collaboration is a great thing, let's cross our fingers for comprehensive LCC's for shifts and tilts sometime too.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe this whole A-Series thing is just the first of a number of schemes to be dreamed up over the next year or so in order to shift inventory prior to the arrival of full-frame CMOS (in 2016?)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post
    Um, Will. This is still an Alpa, and you know those fancy wood handles are mandatory...
    I'd take my handles in carbon fiber... If I were in the market for such thing as this.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

so maybe Phase will make an SP version: with a Surface Pro holder
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Um, Will. This is still an Alpa, and you know those fancy wood handles are mandatory...
    What was I thinking...

Post Thanks / Like

Said this on Lula, will say again. When I saw the headline, I got my hopes up, only to be disappointed.

I hope Phase's top secret body is something with a detachable viewfinder and a foldaway mirror. OVF and PDAF for the CCD backs, EVF and CDAF for the CMOS backs. This is the only way they can make legacy and new owners happy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post
    My error.

Only seems to work with the 50mp backs however per the notes on the Apple Store. Very cool indeed.

How is the image review at 100%?

Better than VR 1.5?

Paul
    Hi Paul -

I've actually never used Capture Pilot before today, so can't make a comparison.

I only had a brief test of the live-view yesterday sat at my desk. Not actually
    used it in earnest yet.
    Kind regards,

Gerald.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vjbelle View Post
    Where is anyone going with this iPhone Holder thing?? Its really just an expensive gimmick that only had use with the P40/45+ series backs. Those backs didn't even offer composition on the LCD so the iPhone made some/not much sense. As for a waist viewing device I'm even more perplexed! Who would ever consider using an IQ260/280 for a handheld waist level camera? There are so many other inexpensive alternatives available that shoot at clean ISO levels that its just nuts!! Let see..... ISO 50, f11.... what kind of shutter speed does that equate to? Makes no sense to me.... I won't even consider handholding under 1/500 second. This whole A series system is kinda reminding me of the Hasselblad Lunar thing....

Victor
    To me at least, it makes a lot of sense when used with the IQ250. I can't see it making much sense at all as waist level EVF for the CCD backs though - I agree with you there.

I wouldn't however agree with your 1/500th comment - with lenses in at the wide end, 1/100th is perfectly doable, and I know Bryan Seibel has commented in the past about how he has had success with exposures much, much longer than that.

At the end of the day, this is nothing like the Lunar. The only thing that's new in this is the updated firmware and software. The price of the individual components if bought separately is the same as the price of the package if bought from Phase One.

There are plenty of people out there - myself included - who are very happy IQ/TC/HR owners already.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gerald.d View Post
    I wouldn't however agree with your 1/500th comment - with lenses in at the wide end, 1/100th is perfectly doable, and I know Bryan Seibel has commented in the past about how he has had success with exposures much, much longer than that.
    +1 +1

Post Thanks / Like

Gerald.
    With the CMOS chip my 35mm XL turn into a 'real' 35mm focal length. I don't know how steady you are but I have learned that 35mm focal length needs at least 1/200 shutter speed. My 60mm turns into an 80mm and at that point I set the shutter at 1/500 and work with ISO. Its really kind of a moot point for me because I don't shoot my Apla hand held. I did try it on my recent trip to Ireland..... I set the back to 0 latency and used just the finger shutter release on my 35XL. Sure, it worked but it was very clumsy. That's why there's all these choices. The WIFI feature is a lot of money more than the Leaf 150..... I mean a lot of money more! I find the LCD to be so workable that I can't imagine an iPhone holder which creates more bulk and weight. Horses for courses.....

Victor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hendrix View Post
    Paul - below is the post from Josh Booth regarding the 1.7 update for Capture Pilot:

https://captureintegration.com/captu...-7-released-2/

And the 35mm lens is the 35mm HR, as Doug noted, which has the (somewhat) restrictive 70mm image circle, the 35mm APO Sironar has a larger (105mm) image circle, but does not equal the optical performance of the 35 HR.

Steve Hendrix
    Capture Integration
    Not sure with hand held that the difference in sharpness will matter... And with good retina like display, shooting more wide open at faster shutter speeds will be terrific: wider open now.

So when do you think they will develope a teathering option for the IQ1's and the iPhone?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    With you guys the phone makes no sense when you have live view right on the LCD of the back. Wifi is something I would NEVER depend on as a working Pro. PERIOD

Sorry this is another gimmick that cost a **** load of money. I love the Credo 50 and equivelent CMOS backs now and what would stop me from just using a Alpa TC or Cambo compact with a lens and the backs live view. Nothing.

Look I have this thing against iPhones and the photography business as a whole. There ****ing up the Pro market and if you keep burying your head in the sand thinking it does not than ask me about the drop in revenue and jobs lost over it. Its killed the event side of the business because Joe smart *** can do it on his iPhone. Sorry for the attitude on it but its deserved. Ill become a chiropractor now and fix all those necks that never get to eye level any more. LOL
    Don't hold back now, Guy!!

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea anyone that buys this I'm going to smack them upside the head.

Okay in all honesty it sounds nice but again its a gimmick so think first folks. We have so many very experienced MF shooters here that been around the block. Give them the respect of there experience before you give any marketing mumbo jumbo any credence. Wifi maybe a nice trick in certain situations but if i am 10 miles in the woods of Yellowstone do you really want to count on it. And after my testing of the Credo 50 CMOS sensor you really don't need squat than that live view LCD on the back itself. If you read that review i made it extremely clear you don't need ANY of those expensive viewers, focusing aids or any of that stuff. Save the money buy some glass. Buy a 80 dollar Hoodman loupe and thats all you need.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There is another factor in here that no one has touched on but having bought 5 backs myself the question comes to mind. What about your upgrade path on your back. I know Dave always went by what i purchased my back for or that equivalent value at the time and that was dictated by Phase than you would figure the upgrade path on the back. Steve from memory I think this is how it works and with this purchase on your PO its NOT a separate item but a bundle. Now i maybe certainly wrong here and hope someone can give a exact answer but what about that upgrade path because it was always dependent on the purchase price you paid for your existing back or the value from Phase at the time of purchase. At least thats how I remember it.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I really don't see this as anything special. Again this is just my impression.

While I like the small footprint it tends to grow quickly when you begin adding the phone and other bits and pieces to it. When I see this I ask myself can I use it and will it make my life easier? The first past is yes, I could use it if I choose to but the second part is no. At least for me.

I need/require the ability to use movements. Shifting the back left - right - up and down. This doesn't do it. I also need to have the ability to shift the lens which this does. The biggest drawback for me is the lack of movements on the back thus a much more difficult time in stitching 2, 3 or 9 images into one freaking huge panorama.

Can it be used as a second camera body? Yes, however I'm very content using my DF and lens when I need quick work done. So as they say in the Shark Tank - I'm out.
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For my purposes, I see this as a handheld solution, or at least the start of one. Can't really see doing any kind of people images very easily with this as you need to have the shutter open to focus, then close it down and fire.

I think the FPS might be a better solution, though a bit large...

I need to get a 3D printer and make an RmFX. I think that is a very good solution, especially if it would easily swing away for double tapping the screen and then swing back. And a whole lot easier to see than the iPhone screen in bright light!!

I'll have to google to see if Hoodman or Schneider make a 90deg angle loupe that could be adopted...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    +1 +1
    Maybe your could elaborate as to why you are so enthusiastic..... I could care less what kind of results others get with slower speeds and the whole idea of trying to find the slowest usable shutter speed seems very counter productive. So.... you go the slow road and I'll go the fast road and lets compare results....

Victor

Post Thanks / Like

There is another factor in here that no one has touched on but having bought 5 backs myself the question comes to mind. What about your upgrade path on your back. I know Dave always went by what i purchased my back for or that equivalent value at the time and that was dictated by Phase than you would figure the upgrade path on the back. Steve from memory I think this is how it works and with this purchase on your PO its NOT a separate item but a bundle. Now i maybe certainly wrong here and hope someone can give a exact answer but what about that upgrade path because it was always dependent on the purchase price you paid for your existing back or the value from Phase at the time of purchase. At least thats how I remember it.
    Guy..... you just gotta work with your dealer - in my case CI. I'm sure it will all work out in the end. Phase works out the trade in value (in my case an IQ180) and Dave works with me on the Leaf. No matter what still looking at least 2 years down the road...

Victor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If the Phase announcement is not groundbreaking enough, there is always this new offering from our friends at Nikon...A gold DF!!

Everyone appears to be scrapping the bottom of the barrel to get new stuff out

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure there's a gold Df, but that one's black...

DPR just announced the Phase A back thingy ... I really don't see what the fuss is about.
    The new CMOS sensor give everything LiveView now, doesn't it? No matter what manufacturer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That's been my point all along with CMOS and it's really nice live view just a nice 80 dollar loupe is all you need.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by vjbelle View Post
    Guy..... you just gotta work with your dealer - in my case CI. I'm sure it will all work out in the end. Phase works out the trade in value (in my case an IQ180) and Dave works with me on the Leaf. No matter what still looking at least 2 years down the road...

Victor
    Yes of course but I do think there is a set value fixated by Phase. Dealers have little playing room around them. Not all dealers resell there trade ins as most go back to Phase so I think there is a hard number Phase goes by in those cases. But again I could be off on that.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

basically, the A seems to be just a rube goldberg way of getting an articulated LCD

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Does anyone know if this is still a two step release or a single shot (built-in walkup) somehow built in to the body/lens/back combo?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think Alpa does have a single press cable that first wakes the back and then fires the copal shutter. Very elegant fit to their bodies and at price worthy of Alpa.
    Unless I'm mistaken the process would be to lock the copal shutter open, focus with live view, close the shutter, and press this (or Kapture groups) double action cable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

ALPA and Kapture Group both make cables that wake and fire a Phase back. Or the back could be set at zero latency, so no wake up signal would be required. But all ALPA's (other than the FPS?) require a sync cable to coordinate between the shutter and the back. The photos of the "new" camera are misleading in that they do not show such a cable.

It appears that the only thing new about this setup is the articulated iPhone holder. Prior versions did not allow the phone to be tilted, as would be expected since they rely on the phone's lens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rga View Post
    I think Alpa does have a single press cable that first wakes the back and then fires the copal shutter. Very elegant fit to their bodies and at price worthy of Alpa.
    Unless I'm mistaken the process would be to lock the copal shutter open, focus with live view, close the shutter, and press this (or Kapture groups) double action cable.
    On the Alpa I used for the Credo test I did most lenses have a open and close switch. I just opened it than opened the aperture did my focusing in live view. Close shutter set aperture than cock the shutter and shoot. Sounds very wordy here but a simple operation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

On the Alpa I used for the Credo test I did most lenses have a open and close switch. I just opened it than opened the aperture did my focusing in live view. Close shutter set aperture than cock the shutter and shoot. Sounds very wordy here but a simple operation.
    Guy, it's the "shoot" part I'm curious about. In the case of this new "A" series, would it be (a) zero latency - sync from lens to DB, fire cable release, (b) 2 step normal latency - push a button, have 3-5 seconds to fire cable release, or (c) have a wakeup/release in a single shot?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

To me it don't look any different than what we have today with zero and normal latency. But like to hear from a sales rep on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jagsiva View Post
    Guy, it's the "shoot" part I'm curious about. In the case of this new "A" series, would it be (a) zero latency - sync from lens to DB, fire cable release, (b) 2 step normal latency - push a button, have 3-5 seconds to fire cable release, or (c) have a wakeup/release in a single shot?
    (c) exists - ALPA of Switzerland - Manufacturers of remarkable cameras - ALPA Sync Release

The question is whether or not that's included with the A series.

It also begs the question - asked earlier but not responded to - as to whether Phase One dealers who are not ALPA dealers are also able to sell ALPA accessories.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

(c) exists - ALPA of Switzerland - Manufacturers of remarkable cameras - ALPA Sync Release

It also begs the question - asked earlier but not responded to - as to whether Phase One dealers who are not ALPA dealers are also able to sell ALPA accessories.

Kind regards,

Gerald.
    Gerald, from what I understand, only this product can be sold by Phase One dealers, other items/accessories/lenses would be through a "full" Alpa dealer. Best to let one of the non-Alpa, Phase dealers confirm.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the attraction to the Phase A series is that Phase and Alpa have made it easier by putting together all the parts, bits, and pieces together for you. That's not a bad thing.

And maybe this is the sign of things to come with a drop-down menu for an LCC library of sorts, based on some sort of magic algorithms that are pretty darn close to most lighting situations and movements----available in C1 Pro. And while still allowing you to do your normal LCC if desired. That would be cool.

ken
    Ken, I think your finger is on the good and the bad. Making system configuration simple is good, and both P1 and Alpa make superb hardware so the matchup is natural.

The bad is that cobbling together a hardware system is only a small part of a solution. The real bear - and the expensive bit - is the software. There is a gulf between the announced features of the A camera, and what I would regard as a tool that solves existing problems without creating new ones. YMMV of course.

OK, that's good and bad. Actually, there is an ugly as well. The ugly is what has happened to me every time I tried to take P1's code (including Capture Pilot) beyond the most basic workflow. Please, Denmark, stop with the toys and give me a better DF camera and a slicker implementation of C1 (e.g. with the LCC library interface).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

From dpreview: Phase One to introduce A-Series mirrorless medium format camera system: Digital Photography Review

Update: It appears that Digital Transitions made information about the new Phase One A-series public before an official announcement, and Phase One has responded with the following letter to clear up some confusion - our original news story appears below:

Letter from Phase One

While product teams have been hard at work preparing the new A-series camera systems for market, Phase One and ALPA are happy to see such interest based on the early news shared by some of our U.S. partners. We regret any confusion, including the fact that the photo was of an internal prototype and not the finished product, but official images and more details will soon be on the way.

These new products are the first step in a long-term strategic & cooperative alliance between Phase One and ALPA that was announced at Photokina. Developing premium products for the world’s most demanding fine art photographers is our focus, and the A-series by Phase One and ALPA is taking the first steps in a creative new direction to integrate some of the highest performing and proven products -- across lenses, bodies, digital backs and software -- to make them easier and even more fun to use.

Below are the key highlights:

1 -- As noted, the A-series will be available in three versions: A250, A260 and A280 with 50MP, 60MP and 80MP respectively.

2 -- Each system will be individually configured with pre-loaded lens calibrations for Rodenstock ALPA 23mm, 35mm and 70mm lenses, making it easy to shoot great looking images out of the box.

3 -- Factory shimmed system marked with A-series badges on both body and back.

4 -- All systems will come with the required accessories -- including some new elements made specifically for this system, e.g. flexible lens shades, iPhone holder and new release cable.

5 -- A 5-year warranty on the system.

6 -- A special note on wifi: Phase One IQ250 camera systems have recently started supporting liveview over wi-fi using Capture Pilot 1.7 (which is already available for download to all IQ250 users). Liveview over wi-fi will also be a cool new feature for the CMOS based A250 using an upcoming 1.8 release.

Thanks for the patience. In December we will share even more details on the new systems including the new factory lens calibration feature, accessories, detailed tech specs, product images, pricing and even better, they will begin shipping!
    Peter
    My website

Post Thanks / Like

So far I can't think of a single compelling reason to consider this offering. Its just a mix of components that can be purchased separately (for the same price) with 'ZERO' value added. To top it off this whole combination is an extremely clumsy picture taking experience....... oh I forgot the iPhone thingy that makes it all worth while. I'm envisioning Mr. clumsy banging that appendage against a sidewalk bench and crying for the rest of the trip. This whole hyped attempt just makes no sense to me.

Victor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well here's my WAG:
    1. This is just a way for P1 and Alpa to show something tangible for their collaboration agreement announced at Photokina.
    2. I'm hoping that there will be a new version of the FPS that is more hand holdable. That way copal shutter lenses will not be needed and a variety of 3rd party lenses already fitting on the FPS can be used.
    3. They will need to figure out a way to not got the Leica M route with live view. With the current I understand the FPS to work, the shutter would need to remain open for live view. Once the shutter release is pressed, the FPS shutter would have to close and then open again. Not real great, but doable. Certainly introduced shake (shown to happen on the M while even on a tripod). However handheld it would be fine as it doesn't produce as much shake as your heartbeat.
    4. There will be an EVF that fits onto the FPS. Hopefully it will work something like the Fuji X series EVFs: focus mask, different magnifications, ability to move around and check different areas of the preview, etc.

So essentially a mirror less system using a P1 back.

Like I said, my WAG (or perhaps wish list...)
    Bob

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

in the end comparison, i would prefer a 500 blad with the real waist level viewfinder and fitted with a CFV50 back...maybe the SWC.

similar size, great ergonomics and style, no cables, ya gotta wind it though; still, two movements per shot...
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    in the end comparison, i would prefer a 500 blad with the real waist level viewfinder and fitted with a CFV50 back...maybe the SWC.

similar size, great ergonomics and style, no cables, ya gotta wind it though; still, two movements per shot...
    Or this... A 500 series 'Blad with rotating back (as part of body), a WLF and new line of AF lenses down to 32mm. Ah, it's good to dream.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kind regards,

Gerald.

The indication I have is that the Alpa Sync Solution will be included in the contents of the A series Package. However, given that the official announcement from Phase One has not yet occurred, I will await that for final confirmation.

The A Series Packages do not change any dealer status with regard to selling Alpa products directly via Alpa. Other than the items included within the A series package itself, additional accessories or any other Alpa products would be purchased through an existing Alpa dealer. The A series announcement will not change anything with regard to who is an Alpa dealer and who is not.

Steve Hendrix
    Capture Integration
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Digital Cam: Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Sinar Authorized Reseller
    TechCam: Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar Authorized Reseller

Post Thanks / Like

EVF needed, not iPhone via WiFi.

Hopefully on updated Phase back, with an EVF-out port. Some good 3rd party EVF's around at reasonable prices.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now that P1 is venturing into tech camera land I just hope they will improve the tiling suppression in Capture One or even better in the DB firmware...
    Peter
    My website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pemihan View Post
    Now that P1 is venturing into tech camera land I just hope they will improve the tiling suppression in Capture One or even better in the DB firmware...
    I fully agree and it's where I thin they could have better invested their time instead of an "A" series camera. As they offer no movements on the A it's easy to see how they can make auto LCC work on the A camera. Tiling is still a constant problem for me and I never know when it will show up enough to effect a shot but a solid ble sky is one to watch for.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The "A" is not a Phase camera. It is an ALPA TC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post
    I fully agree and it's where I thin they could have better invested their time instead of an "A" series camera. As they offer no movements on the A it's easy to see how they can make auto LCC work on the A camera. Tiling is still a constant problem for me and I never know when it will show up enough to effect a shot but a solid ble sky is one to watch for.

Paul
    Paul, not sure if it is in my head, but going back and processing files in C18, there seems to be some improvement.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well I for one definitely still fight tiling also in C18.

Paul, not sure if it is in my head, but going back and processing files in C18, there seems to be some improvement.
    Peter
    My website

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If the Phase announcement is not groundbreaking enough, there is always this new offering from our friends at Nikon...A gold DF!!

Everyone appears to be scrapping the bottom of the barrel to get new stuff out

Darn, I'd possibly actually have bought that if I didn't already have a Df! (I love that camera too btw)

Regarding the A series, I'm just happy if it means we now have added a boat load of Alpa dealers. Competition is great for the market.

Regarding the camera - it's a TC with some nice Rodie glass and wifi VF that really is focused on the IQ250 period. I assume also the Alpa cable release too btw. I'm sure that it'll work with an IQ2 CCD back too but let's face it, this is optimized as a solution around the IQ250.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What happened to the A series? Currently I can't find any mention of it on the main Phase One website, at least it's not listed as current product and no search came up with it. Did it get postponed?

Paul

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree - the silence is deafening. The press releases are out there but I don't see anything else at the moment.

I'd ask my own Phase One dealer but they're now an Alpa dealer anyway. Maybe they had collective second thoughts or Phase One decided that they need to have the same relationship with the other tech manufacturers too.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Again - here's to hoping that this will mean some significant improvement in tiling handling in the coming update of C1

And if P1 in a IQ firmware update, could make it possible to manual enter which lens are being used as well as shift/rise/fall/tilt it would be great!
    Peter
    My website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes, they now have the A series on the main page on Phase One's site.

Interesting delay. But glad to see if offical.

Paul