Site Sponsors
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Phase One A Series

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Phase One A Series

Nice to see that the Alpa mount 35mm f4 Rodenstock HR-Digaron-S getting a new life as the 'Alpar 4.0/35mm' in the new A series, it's a great lens, needs no CF, and a full stop faster than the others. Seems they are making it the mainstay of the 'A series' system, and that's probably a wise choice.

Bit shocked by the prices though + can't help but think the FPS would have been a better base to build a mirrorless MF system upon. But... they obviously feel otherwise.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by narikin View Post
    Nice to see that the Alpa mount 35mm f4 Rodenstock HR-Digaron-S getting a new life as the 'Alpar 4.0/35mm' in the new A series, it's a great lens, needs no CF, and a full stop faster than the others. Seems they are making it the mainstay of the 'A series' system, and that's probably a wise choice.

Bit shocked by the prices though + can't help but think the FPS would have been a better base to build a mirrorless MF system upon. But... they obviously feel otherwise.

Notably, Phase One seems to have removed any "mirrorless" references, which never should have been there to begin with.

Regarding the 35mm HR Lens, it's a perfect match for the TC, as it has a relatively small image circle, but good optical quality. I find though, that it will benefit from an LCC even without any movements.

Steve Hendrix
    Capture Integratiion
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Digital Cam: Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Sinar Authorized Reseller
    TechCam: Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar Authorized Reseller

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hendrix View Post
    Notably, Phase One seems to have removed any "mirrorless" references, which never should have been there to begin with.
    Steve Hendrix
    Capture Integratiion
    Steve, it is still there. This is from the brochure and also on the P1 website.

"The A-series combines the finest components across lenses, mirrorless body, digital backs and software. "

Peter
    Peter
    My website

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sweet - my TC just became an A-260/23

Now what can I call the STC combinations?
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A plus, of course.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pemihan View Post
    Steve, it is still there. This is from the brochure and also on the P1 website.

"The A-series combines the finest components across lenses, mirrorless body, digital backs and software. "

Peter

Oh well.......wishful thinking.

Steve Hendrix
    Capture Integration

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Say you have a IQ260 currently with Contax or HB mount. Can the A-Series package be replicated by purchasing an Alpa TC with one of the three lenses and a firmware upgrade on the back? Would PhaseOne do the proper mating/shimming of components so that the back can still be used on the Contax/HB?

On the other hand, without movements, is this really worth it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Can you replicate the bundle yourself? The answer is yes.

For the TC you would just buy the correct adapter plate for your back which will come with the shim set so that you can adjust the back to the body/lens etc if necessary. The shims are in the adapter plate and don't affect how the back works on other systems.

Is shimming worthwhile? If you want accurate infinity and subsequent distances on the lens then yes it is. Movements don't matter in this respect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by engel001 View Post
    Say you have a IQ260 currently with Contax or HB mount. Can the A-Series package be replicated by purchasing an Alpa TC with one of the three lenses and a firmware upgrade on the back? Would PhaseOne do the proper mating/shimming of components so that the back can still be used on the Contax/HB?

In the scenario you describe, the same components can be purchased (minus the A series Branding) from any authorized Alpa/Phase One dealer. Currently, the firmware that provides the embedded LCC functionality is exclusive to the A Series Digital Back Products. The shimming process would be provided by the authorized Alpa/Phase One dealer. Understand that Phase One's role in this is specifically only in the event someone is purchasing an A Series package. In that event, Phase One would be shipping a pre-shimmed Alpa adapter for use with that specific A Series Kit.

If one were to purchase an Alpa TC and any lens for use with their existing Phase One digital back, or choose to purchase the Phase One digital back separately from an A series Kit, the authorized Alpa/Phase One dealer would take care of any shimming. This would be the case if someone wanted to purchase any Alpa camera, an STC, a Max, etc.

Whether an Alpa TC without movements is worth it, is up to you and what you wish to accomplish. We often find an Alpa TC is an addendum to an Alpa system. It could be a starting point, or an expansion. Someone may have an STC, or a Max, and want a smaller package to pair the outstanding Schneider/Rodenstock lenses with that can utilize the same digital back (and interface and lens adapters) that their other Alpa camera can use. But certainly as a stand alone camera, it produces the opportunity as an amazingly small, lightweight, extremely high quality capture device.

The A Series announcement was something that we have been internally considering for some time, as there was the perception of some smoke and mirror, and also facts were not being made readily available. This is why we have not jumped in with both feet until now, when we feel there now exists some clarity.

As a Phase One and Alpa dealer, we offer our perspective for the A series products below:

https://captureintegration.com/captu...camera-system/
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What Steve said

The new firmware with my TC/23HR could be very useful. With / without center filter btw?

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

*Calibration* is very important. On an Alpa this is done with a mechanical metal shim ("shimming"). On Cambo this is done by an adjustment of the lens helical. On Arca this is done by determining a numerical offset.

Any good tech camera dealer is more than qualified to calibrate any tech camera. It's not a complicated process.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

From the excellent CI synopsis: "Today, this firmware will not be available to existing IQ2 customers. This may change and with pressure from current customers it just might."

Hoping for change!

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

From the excellent CI synopsis: "Today, this firmware will not be available to existing IQ2 customers. This may change and with pressure from current customers it just might."
    Agreed. We've been lobbying this direction on customers behalf as we feel it's more in line with the "open platform" mentality.

Though the current implementation is pretty limited (no allowance for movements) so is really only applicable on the TC. The Arca and Cambos "travel camera" bodies (Arca Factum or Cambo RC400) both have built-in movements.

Still, in the future one could imagine expanded functionality like entering the movements and having the LCC selected automatically.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is just the start, wait till they get the FPS into the equation. And I bet they will sooner than later.

Paul
    Paul Caldwell
    [email protected]
    www.photosofarkansas.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree, good times ahead. The pieces are there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Judging from the pictures of the A kit it looks like it is possible to chose "Other" under lens selection. As I have stated quite a few times, also directly to Phase One, it would be really nice to be able to manual enter lens/shift/rise/fall and it really should'nt be too hard to implement that in the IQ firmware, including the firmware for the IQ1 backs!
    Peter
    My website

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Of note, as we've pointed out on our Capture One 8.1 Release Blog Entry the Rodenstock 23HR, 35HR, 40HR, 50HR, and 70HR are now supported in Capture One 8.1.

This is not limited to users of an Alpa A Series but works just as well for Arca/Cambo/etc since they are all use identical optics. This includes distortion correction without leaving raw, with optional offset for rise/fall/shift (manually entered) which is useful for tech bodies with movement.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dougpeterson View Post
    Of note, as we've pointed out on our Capture One 8.1 Release Blog Entry the Rodenstock 23HR, 35HR, 40HR, 50HR, and 70HR are now supported in Capture One 8.1.

This is not limited to users of an Alpa A Series but works just as well for Arca/Cambo/etc since they are all use identical optics. This includes distortion correction without leaving raw, with optional offset for rise/fall/shift (manually entered) which is useful for tech bodies with movement.
    Didn't know that. Awesome!

Post Thanks / Like

Rodenstock support in C1 is excellent news. Hopefully the 32 and 90 will be added soon!

Kind regards,

Gerald

Post Thanks / Like

Great write-up Steve, but one question does still remain.

Which sync solution is included with the A-Series?

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gerald.d View Post
    Great write-up Steve, but one question does still remain.

Which sync solution is included with the A-Series?

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Thank you Gerald.

I should have added one more link, which displays the included items in the package:

https://captureintegration.com/the-a...lpa-phase-one/

It is the Alpa Sync Solution (170.800.010) plus the Alpa Sync Cord Mark II (170.800.462) and the Alpa Cable Release (lacking that part number at the moment).

ALPA of Switzerland - Manufacturers of remarkable cameras - ALPA Sync Release

ALPA of Switzerland - Manufacturers of remarkable cameras - Sync Cord Mark II Phase One / Leaf

Steve Hendrix
    Capture Integration

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post
    This is just the start, wait till they get the FPS into the equation. And I bet they will sooner than later.

Paul
    FPS Mark II with full USB control of the back (or perhaps the existing FPS is already theoretically capable of doing this?) and live-view on an iOS device, with a single application running both the back and FPS interfaces, would be amazing.

One button - on iOS device or FPS - to open the shutter and set the back to live-view mode. Press the shutter button and it automatically drops the back out of live-view mode as it closes the shutter and then takes the shot.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hendrix View Post
    Thank you Gerald.

I should have added one more link, which displays the included items in the package:

https://captureintegration.com/the-a...lpa-phase-one/

It is the Alpa Sync Solution (170.800.010) plus the Alpa Sync Cord Mark II (170.800.462) and the Alpa Cable Release (lacking that part number at the moment).

ALPA of Switzerland - Manufacturers of remarkable cameras - ALPA Sync Release

ALPA of Switzerland - Manufacturers of remarkable cameras - Sync Cord Mark II Phase One / Leaf

Steve Hendrix
    Capture Integration
    Oh it includes a cable release as well. Nice touch!

I almost wish I didn't have all this already so I could buy the kit

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Post Thanks / Like

Just noticed from the shot of the back where the lens is selected, there's no entry of the aperture. Is this on a subsequent screen, or is it not required?

Kind regards,

Gerald.