The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One A Series

tjv

With you guys the phone makes no sense when you have live view right on the LCD of the back. Wifi is something I would NEVER depend on as a working Pro. PERIOD

Sorry this is another gimmick that cost a **** load of money. I love the Credo 50 and equivelent CMOS backs now and what would stop me from just using a Alpa TC or Cambo compact with a lens and the backs live view. Nothing.
I couldn't agree more (and I also agree with the bit of your post I cut out, by the way.) Having good waist level finder with relevant readouts is one thing, but relying on using wifi to a cell phone to use it is madness in my book. For one, the battery life will be crap, not to mention the constant drop outs and freezes that plague wireless interfaces.

jlm

Workshop Member
i use my i-phone handheld like a director's glass; with viewfinder pro set up for my lenses it is a useful, fast way to preview, both for the A7 and the Cambo/Iq160

vjbelle

Where is anyone going with this iPhone Holder thing?? Its really just an expensive gimmick that only had use with the P40/45+ series backs. Those backs didn't even offer composition on the LCD so the iPhone made some/not much sense. As for a waist viewing device I'm even more perplexed! Who would ever consider using an IQ260/280 for a handheld waist level camera? There are so many other inexpensive alternatives available that shoot at clean ISO levels that its just nuts!! Let see..... ISO 50, f11.... what kind of shutter speed does that equate to? Makes no sense to me.... I won't even consider handholding under 1/500 second. This whole A series system is kinda reminding me of the Hasselblad Lunar thing....

Victor

iiiNelson

Sooooo... Is this what they've come up with in lieu of the super secret Phase One camera that was going to replace the DF+!?!

Don Libby

Trying to wrap my head around this so bear with me please. The new IQ2 has wifi that can connect to an iPhone. Got that part. The part I don't understand is this - the screen on the phone is only slightly larger that the IQ; then added to the fact that it only displays jpegs. Jpegs that are by nature a lower quality thus making a poorer image quality. Add to this the already ability to do the same viewing right off the back at a much higher quality. This is where I scratch my head.

Why do this when it's very simple to tether either a Surface Pro 2 or 3, running C1 and be able to have a much larger screen, much better resolution and peek at 100% or more?

Call me crazy but there's no way I'm going to rely on anything wireless in the field when I can get better results being hardwired/tethered to a larger screen using the exact same software as I'll be using when I return to my studio.

I'll admit I'm old and set in my ways; so I'll ask this - what am I missing here?

Shashin

I'll ask this - what am I missing here?
The marketing opportunity.

At least they did not stick a wooden handle and some bling on it and call it a luxury item. I am not sure how "new" a Phase back on a TC with view camera lens and an iPhone is. I remember seeing lots of examples here at GetDPI over the years. Wow! Perhaps our members were secret beta testers!

jagsiva

The biggest news for me here is the ability for in-camera lens correction. Presumably it is only when centered, but is still better than what we have today. If we could set lens, tilt angle, X and Y movements, and aperture in the back and have it calibrate automatically like an uncoded M-lens, it would be sweet. This would be a major workflow advantage for me. Even a limited implementation for centered only lenses is a great step, and shows these guys are thinking beyond just the usual improvements. Looking forward to getting more details as they are available, and of course, hoping that this is not somehow crippled just for this setup :)

kdphotography

I think the attraction to the Phase A series is that Phase and Alpa have made it easier by putting together all the parts, bits, and pieces together for you. That's not a bad thing.

And maybe this is the sign of things to come with a drop-down menu for an LCC library of sorts, based on some sort of magic algorithms that are pretty darn close to most lighting situations and movements----available in C1 Pro. And while still allowing you to do your normal LCC if desired. That would be cool.

But it seems to me that WiFi is not the most reliable and would be simply easier to use Steve's Phase One Series A cable (in black, of course). :D

Has the viewing quality of the images improved? Different format? If you've ever zoomed in on an iPad to view JPEGS it isn't exactly the best. An iPhone screen is smaller yet. Now compare the 100%, 200% or more zoom in on actual full resolution raw files using C1 Pro when tethered to a Surface Pro. Focus mask? Loupe tool? Move those shadow/highlight sliders around...

;) ken

tjv

Collaboration is a great thing, let's cross our fingers for comprehensive LCC's for shifts and tilts sometime too.

f8orbust

Maybe this whole A-Series thing is just the first of a number of schemes to be dreamed up over the next year or so in order to shift inventory prior to the arrival of full-frame CMOS (in 2016?)

synn

Said this on Lula, will say again. When I saw the headline, I got my hopes up, only to be disappointed.

I hope Phase's top secret body is something with a detachable viewfinder and a foldaway mirror. OVF and PDAF for the CCD backs, EVF and CDAF for the CMOS backs. This is the only way they can make legacy and new owners happy.

gerald.d

My error.

Only seems to work with the 50mp backs however per the notes on the Apple Store. Very cool indeed.

How is the image review at 100%?

Better than VR 1.5?

Paul
Hi Paul -

I've actually never used Capture Pilot before today, so can't make a comparison.

I only had a brief test of the live-view yesterday sat at my desk. Not actually
used it in earnest yet.
Kind regards,

Gerald.

gerald.d

Where is anyone going with this iPhone Holder thing?? Its really just an expensive gimmick that only had use with the P40/45+ series backs. Those backs didn't even offer composition on the LCD so the iPhone made some/not much sense. As for a waist viewing device I'm even more perplexed! Who would ever consider using an IQ260/280 for a handheld waist level camera? There are so many other inexpensive alternatives available that shoot at clean ISO levels that its just nuts!! Let see..... ISO 50, f11.... what kind of shutter speed does that equate to? Makes no sense to me.... I won't even consider handholding under 1/500 second. This whole A series system is kinda reminding me of the Hasselblad Lunar thing....

Victor
To me at least, it makes a lot of sense when used with the IQ250. I can't see it making much sense at all as waist level EVF for the CCD backs though - I agree with you there.

I wouldn't however agree with your 1/500th comment - with lenses in at the wide end, 1/100th is perfectly doable, and I know Bryan Seibel has commented in the past about how he has had success with exposures much, much longer than that.

At the end of the day, this is nothing like the Lunar. The only thing that's new in this is the updated firmware and software. The price of the individual components if bought separately is the same as the price of the package if bought from Phase One.

There are plenty of people out there - myself included - who are very happy IQ/TC/HR owners already.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Shashin

I wouldn't however agree with your 1/500th comment - with lenses in at the wide end, 1/100th is perfectly doable, and I know Bryan Seibel has commented in the past about how he has had success with exposures much, much longer than that.
+1 +1

vjbelle

Gerald.
With the CMOS chip my 35mm XL turn into a 'real' 35mm focal length. I don't know how steady you are but I have learned that 35mm focal length needs at least 1/200 shutter speed. My 60mm turns into an 80mm and at that point I set the shutter at 1/500 and work with ISO. Its really kind of a moot point for me because I don't shoot my Apla hand held. I did try it on my recent trip to Ireland..... I set the back to 0 latency and used just the finger shutter release on my 35XL. Sure, it worked but it was very clumsy. That's why there's all these choices. The WIFI feature is a lot of money more than the Leaf 150..... I mean a lot of money more! I find the LCD to be so workable that I can't imagine an iPhone holder which creates more bulk and weight. Horses for courses.....

Victor