Site Sponsors

Thread: Importance of MFDB shot-count on second-hand gear

Post Thanks / Like

Question Importance of MFDB shot-count on second-hand gear

Since a MFDB has (basically) no moving parts, I'm wondering why would we care how many shots the back has on it (other than an indicator as to it's age and possible use/abuse)?

Unlike a mechanical shutter in a body, it would seem to me that there's nothing really to go "bad" in a solid-state digital back due to use. Am I wrong? Do sensors have a limited life-span?
    J R

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Importance of MFDB shot-count on second-hand gear

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

I fully agree. An MFDB is not subject to mechanical wear from exposures.

The camera itself is another thing. I don't know how many exposure they are designed for.

Best regards
    Erik

Post Thanks / Like

So I guess age is a more important factor than shot count. Condensators (for example) go bad after a while. Also, thermal stress (rapid shoting, hot temperatures, lots of on and off cycles) also could wear down the electronics. So in 10-20 years, I suspect some of the backs will go bad regardless of shot count. I still I suspect those backs that have been used more (not directly the shot count, but rather stress) will get bad first.
    Am I wrong ?

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No i tend to agree with you . I would be more concerned about age and use when in service than shot count. Shot count for a fashion shooter lets say can run hundreds of images a day compared to a landscape guy so basically in the same time frame of ownership a fashion shooter may log a ton more images but may have not had the stress of being in the field with weather and such or extremes of it. Tough call but shot count does not mean a heck of a lot. Now a dealer or seller may consider a higher price for a very low shot count. Lets say that number is 500 images for instance and here I would agree with the higher price because its pretty obvious it was a hobbyist out there knocking out a few images in the time he owned it, so he probably took very good care of it and did not abuse it. Its a judgement call but thats they way i tend to think about it. Also I would be looking for warranty more than anything buying used and most dealers offer that. I tend to buy in MF from dealers.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Understandable that you could save on the purchase if brought directly from the owner; then again if you buy from a reputable dealer you should be covered by at least 1-year. That piece of mind can be worth a lot.

Could you send a used back in to your dealer and have them check it out much like having a used car go through your mechanic prior to buying it? It'll cost you to have them go through it but it might be worthwhile. Not certain if this is even offered.
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ