The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Importance of MFDB shot-count on second-hand gear

Since a MFDB has (basically) no moving parts, I'm wondering why would we care how many shots the back has on it (other than an indicator as to it's age and possible use/abuse)?

Unlike a mechanical shutter in a body, it would seem to me that there's nothing really to go "bad" in a solid-state digital back due to use. Am I wrong? Do sensors have a limited life-span?

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

I fully agree. An MFDB is not subject to mechanical wear from exposures.

The camera itself is another thing. I don't know how many exposure they are designed for.

Best regards
Erik

miska

So I guess age is a more important factor than shot count. Condensators (for example) go bad after a while. Also, thermal stress (rapid shoting, hot temperatures, lots of on and off cycles) also could wear down the electronics. So in 10-20 years, I suspect some of the backs will go bad regardless of shot count. I still I suspect those backs that have been used more (not directly the shot count, but rather stress) will get bad first.
Am I wrong ?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
No i tend to agree with you . I would be more concerned about age and use when in service than shot count. Shot count for a fashion shooter lets say can run hundreds of images a day compared to a landscape guy so basically in the same time frame of ownership a fashion shooter may log a ton more images but may have not had the stress of being in the field with weather and such or extremes of it. Tough call but shot count does not mean a heck of a lot. Now a dealer or seller may consider a higher price for a very low shot count. Lets say that number is 500 images for instance and here I would agree with the higher price because its pretty obvious it was a hobbyist out there knocking out a few images in the time he owned it, so he probably took very good care of it and did not abuse it. Its a judgement call but thats they way i tend to think about it. Also I would be looking for warranty more than anything buying used and most dealers offer that. I tend to buy in MF from dealers.

Don Libby

Understandable that you could save on the purchase if brought directly from the owner; then again if you buy from a reputable dealer you should be covered by at least 1-year. That piece of mind can be worth a lot.

Could you send a used back in to your dealer and have them check it out much like having a used car go through your mechanic prior to buying it? It'll cost you to have them go through it but it might be worthwhile. Not certain if this is even offered.