The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pano Advice - Multi Row RRS or Arca Swiss?

foster_jb

I have been looking at two setups for creating multi-row panos with both my Mamiya DF & IQ140 as well as my Canon DSLR. The setup needs to be robust to handle the weight of the DF plus lenses, so I have been looking at the Pano Package offered by RRS as well as the Arca Swiss Monoball Pan System 2.

Initially, I gravitated towards the Arca system as I already have a Cube and other Arca gear, and I know what to expect in terms of quality. And having all the items machined by Arca means everything will fit perfectly (I plan to use the Cube as the base).

However, the RRS Pano Package looks very well thought out and made. In particular, the bigger knobs seem preferable when locking and unlocking for movements.

If any of you have either of these systems, I would love to hear your comments. The panos would be both for large landscapes as well as tight spaces.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Best,
Foster

jagsiva

I use the RRS system. The new pano system is super solid and the vertical arm is designed specifically for stability. It is bulky though.

I also have the monster gigapan automated head, but gave up on it very quickly. it is a beast and stability is very poor, especially in wind. The base connection has plastic gears and with weight it always has some play.

With RRS, I only use the screw clamps to avoid any issues with the slightly smaller widths of the Arca plates. You could of course get the RRS l-bracket for the DF and keep things simple.

Only issue I have with the RRS kit is that it is heavy and somewhat bulky, but guess that is the trade-off for stability.

if you're using an Arca Cube already, you only need a nodal slide, the vertical arm and a bar to get it all working.

Don Libby

I used the RRS pano setup several years ago prior to getting a tech camera and used it on both a 1DsII and a Mamiya/P30+. Very sturdy and well made if not a tad on the heavy side. Can't go wrong with RRS.

Don

vjbelle

I also have the RRS stuff you are considering. The multi-row package (PG-02 series) is extremely robust and will hold your DF firmly. You will appreciate the large knobs and its build quality. I wouldn't be concerned about bulk but more about rigidity - its gotta be very sturdy and this stuff is. I wouldn't consider anything else.

Victor

foster_jb

Gentlemen,

Thank you all very much for the input! I had hoped to hear from someone who had used the Arca system as well, if only to satisfy my curiosity... It is hard to imagine them under-engineering something, so I think it should be quite rigid. The smaller knobs do seem a bit "fiddly" though in comparison to RRS.

I will make a decision in the near future and report back. If anyone else has input on the Arca system, please let me know.

Best,

Foster