Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Deciding between Alpa TC, STC or Cambo 1250

Post Thanks / Like

Deciding between Alpa TC, STC or Cambo 1250

I am considering a technical camera and recently got a chance to look at Arca RM3di, Cambo RS 1250, Cambo RC 400, and Alpa STC while visiting Capture Integration offices in Atlanta (Thank you Steve Hendrix). Before getting a chance to actually hold each of these in my hands I was quite sure I would get the RM3di. After handling each I am least inclined to get the RM3di and most inclined to get the Alpa.

Cambo is in between. It offers more functionality (rise+fall+tilt+shift+swing) for a lot less money and seems like the logical/sensible/prudent choice. Although for lenses with tilt mount an HPF ring can't be used - which is a concern. It also does not feel as compact and comfortable as Alpa, but not too bad either.

Alpa STC felt really good in my hands. I did not get an opportunity to hold an Alpa TC. I really like Alpa's compact form factor. Yes, I am really conflicted about the cost - since its the highest price of the three brands and I am admittedly seeking quality+value.

Here is what I am seeking…
    * I like a small/compact form factor
    * I like to get things right in one shot and do not look for stitching unless a compelling vista presents itself
    * Tilt ability is my main reason to consider a technical camera (shift+rise are certainly nice to have)
    * Ability to have precise focus

I am thinking Alpa TC or STC with tilt adapter & HPF rings on lenses.

Would like to hear thoughts and opinions on the choice of STC, TC, Cambo or Arca.

Thanks for your time and help.

Jawad

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Deciding between Alpa TC, STC or Cambo 1250

I'd rather compare the Alpa STC to the A/S Factum, not the Rm3di.
    If you don't need movements then the TC is probably the logical choice ?

Not familiar with Cambo's offering, sorry...
    Last edited by Frederic; 29th November 2014 at 11:40. Reason: typo
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jamgolf View Post
    * I like to get things right in one shot and do not look for stitching unless a compelling vista presents itself
    I think this comment this suggests that the STC might be best, as it gives you the option of stitching when you need it. I don't know anything about the Cambo, sorry.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Frederic View Post
    I'd rather compare the Alpa STC to the A/S Factum, not the Rm3di.
    If you don't need movements then the TC is probably the logical choice ?

Yes, you are right Factum is closer to STC in size/weight. So I should definitely give it some consideration. Factum does not have a grip, so holding/handling it might not be as pleasant as Cambo or Alpa.

Thanks for your input.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's my $0.02...

On the ALPA side of things...

If you're looking to use tilt, then you're going to be shooting from a tripod, and so to me the TC doesn't make an awful lot of sense. The weight saving over the STC is around 350 grams, but that will almost disappear (relatively speaking) once you add the back/lens/tilt-adapter/tripod head/tripod.

It then comes down to whether you think the additional cost of the STC is worth the additional functionality of movements that it gives you.

Only you can answer that question, but I very rarely shoot with my TC these days simply because 99% of my shots are from a tripod, and I nearly always want movements so I use my Max.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tjv View Post
    I think this comment this suggests that the STC might be best, as it gives you the option of stitching when you need it. I don't know anything about the Cambo, sorry.
    You are right, when (not if) the opportunity presents itself not having the ability to shift would be missed. STC does offer that ability over TC.

Thank you !

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, you are right Factum is closer to STC in size/weight. So I should definitely give it some consideration. Factum does not have a grip, so holding/handling it might not be as pleasant as Cambo or Alpa.

Thanks for your input.
    Like the STC the Factum has an optional handgrip. Also tilt is built-in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gerald.d View Post
    Here's my $0.02...

If you're looking to use tilt, then you're going to be shooting from a tripod, and so to me the TC doesn't make an awful lot of sense. The weight saving over the STC is around 350 grams, but that will almost disappear (relatively speaking) once you add the back/lens/tilt-adapter/tripod head/tripod.

Only you can answer that question, but I very rarely shoot with my TC these days simply because 99% of my shots are from a tripod, and I nearly always want movements so I use my Max.
    Gerald: Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.

You are right in pointing out that using tilt will mean shooting from a tripod. In that setting TC's slight weight advantage over STC is rather meaningless. My thinking was that at times I might use a TC handheld (without tilt off-course) and in that case it might possibly be better than STC. Not sure if that is the case, if its not much better than STC while handholding then clearly STC is the right/better choice of the two.

How do you find TC while handholding?
    You mentioned you don't use it much these days, is there a reason or simply that you prefer using you MAX?

Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

Like the STC the Factum has an optional handgrip. Also tilt is built-in.
    I was not aware of Factum's optional grip. Thank you.
    I thought it only had an L-bracket which could do double duty as a grip.

Post Thanks / Like

I was not aware of Factum's optional grip. Thank you.
    I thought it only had an L-bracket which could do double duty as a grip.
    You can see some pics here : http://www.getdpi.com/forum/502066-post369.html
    It's more or less the same as the Rm3di version. I'm not very fond of it, but then I mostly use it on tripod and the handgrip is only to grab the factum from the bag...

Post Thanks / Like

You can see some pics here : http://www.getdpi.com/forum/502066-post369.html
    It's more or less the same as the Rm3di version. I'm not very fond of it, but then I mostly use it on tripod and the handgrip is only to grab the factum from the bag...
    Thank you. These pictures are very helpful. Great !

Post Thanks / Like

Alpa is a system camera (as many of the others are) - and at some point you may decide that you add a Max to your system for architectural or 4 way stitching. Likewise maybe a TC for super small 'walkabout' camera. Or maybe an FPS when EVF out comes to digital backs, and therefore MF mirrorless has arrived.

For economy/value/simplicity, yes I'd go with the Cambo. If you see a whole system opening up for wide and varied types of photography, then possibly Alpa is well worth the extra investment. (Sorry I don't know much about Arca, but maybe likewise there.)

I too would favor the STC over TC for a 1 body setup, but remember any body with built in tilt saves you many $$ over Alpa's pricey tilt adapters.

Post Thanks / Like

Gerald: Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.

You are right in pointing out that using tilt will mean shooting from a tripod. In that setting TC's slight weight advantage over STC is rather meaningless. My thinking was that at times I might use a TC handheld (without tilt off-course) and in that case it might possibly be better than STC. Not sure if that is the case, if its not much better than STC while handholding then clearly STC is the right/better choice of the two.

How do you find TC while handholding?
    You mentioned you don't use it much these days, is there a reason or simply that you prefer using you MAX?

Thanks again.
    Hand-holding the TC is OK, it's just that I rarely shot handheld. I don't have an STC so can't make an objective comparison, but if anything, I could actually imagine the STC would be better handheld simply because of the fact it's larger - there are times when everything just feels a little too cramped on the TC (particularly the space between the grip and the lens).

As said, I almost exclusively shoot off tripods. If I need/want movements, then the Max, or if I need the flexibility/capability of the FPS, then I use that.

The bottom line in your decision is that you can use the STC handheld, but you can't shift with the TC. Even if just 10% of your shots were going to use shift, then that would surely make the decision for you?

Kind regards,

Gerald.
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I own the STC and consider it an outstanding machining achievement for Alpa. Its been mentioned that one of the benefits is stitching but, for me, lateral movements are just as easily achieved with conventional degree'd movement around the nodal point. However what I would never be without is rise or fall/tilt swing which this body and lens adapters do really well - as do others. You also must bear in mind that lenses are the most expensive in the Alpa mount. My experience has been that Alpa does not test lenses from its provided vendors but relies on them for quality control - a practice that I am very disappointed with considering the cost of their lenses. I can't speak for any of the other manufacturer's with regards to secondary quality control of lenses but its lenses first, then the body. A good dealer will be you life saver in this respect - good to see you are working with CI.

Victor

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If you are looking for an Alpa with the best combination of size vs versatility then I'd definitely consider the STC over the TC because it isn't that much larger and you have the option to use rise/fall or shifts when needed.

I currently shoot with an STC and use the 17mm & 34mm tilt adapters with 40HR, 90HR & 150 APO-Digitar lenses. For 99% of my shooting situations this combination gives me all of the movements I need and is a relatively small outfit to carry. I also have a TC that I pretty much use exclusively with my 23HR since I don't use any movements with that lens and it's convenient to leave it mounted on it permanently.

I've occasionally used the TC handheld but only very rarely. If it's worth shooting with a MFDB and Rodie/Schneider lens then to be honest it's also worth the effort of setting up a tripod shot. If you want walkabout capabilities then I'd just use a different camera - that's not to say that you can't use it of course and a TC with a 23/32/40 is one heck of a point & shoot.

I've also owned and used the MAX too. I occasionally miss the extra option of using both rise/fall and shifting for an image stitch but I don't miss the bulky form factor that was the reason for changing to the STC. However, I do see myself getting another MAX at some point because when you need both sets of movements you really miss not having them.

My advice for choosing a technical camera system is to make sure that you consider where you'll be with a full system and base the economics on that. You'll find that once you have a couple of lenses with tilt capabilities then the costs between say the Cambo and the more expensive Arca/Alpa systems start to even out somewhat.

I love my Alpa system but I wouldn't hesitate to go with either the Cambo or Arca (or Sinar too) as ultimately you are buying a lens platform IMHO. I wouldn't get too worked up about the claims of superior accuracy, shimming, etc etc because all of the systems can be calibrated. I do like using the Alpa HPF rings though for accurate focus setting but Arca have their own alternative for that too.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

Just a quick comment on hand holding...... I suggest that you try to walk around with any of the tech camera's and try to shoot hand held. If you think that its a walk in the park then we are from different universes! Its a clumsy process that is best utilized with only the widest lenses (35mm or less) and even then.... clumsy!! I tried it once I got my Leaf Credo 50 thinking that this back would streamline the experience..... forget it!! Try it for yourself......

Victor
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

narikin, Gerald, Victor and Graham:

Thank you guys. I believe you have convinced me that between an STC and TC, STC is certainly the better choice. I think I am going to drop TC from consideration.

So now its down to STC, Factum or Cambo

Edit:

Infact since Cambo does not allow HPF rings with tilt mount lenses, I would have to rule it out as well - even though the price is most attractive.

So, its STC or Factum ...
    Last edited by Jamgolf; 29th November 2014 at 13:39.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vjbelle View Post
    However what I would never be without is rise or fall/tilt swing which this body and lens adapters do really well - as do others.

My experience has been that Alpa does not test lenses from its provided vendors but relies on them for quality control - a practice that I am very disappointed with considering the cost of their lenses.
    Victor

Do you permanently orient the STC body vertically and have the grip installed on the side where the bottom would normally be?

Your experience with the lens quality sounds concerning, especially given the price. Are there any particuar lenses that you've had problems with?

Thanks

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using a Cambo WRS for 6-years and only used it handheld once just to prove it could be done. To my way of thinking, a technical camera is meant to be used on a tripod; when I want to handhold I use a DF. Just my crazy way of thinking. Yes it can be handheld, but why?

don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

You can add a HPF ring on a tilt/shift lens and use it on a Cambo. We have a source right here at Getdpi that offers the service...
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, John Milich has found a way to use the HPF rings and the t/s panel on the Cambo.

I was seriously intrigued, but in reality have found that the Cambo works just fine for me without the HPF rings. I don't feel remiss at all.

Cambo, Alpa, and Arca will all do you fine. All are exceptionally nice rigs. And let's face it, at this level of photography and refinement---you're really talking subjective personal choices here.

I went with Cambo and have enjoyed every moment.

If you're considering Cambo, you should look at John Milich's Cambo WRS here: http://www.getdpi.com/forum/gear-fs-...-iq-160-a.html

It's fairly rare to see technical cameras on sale. And this one is from a known and respected GetDPI family member.

ken

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don Libby View Post
    I've been using a Cambo WRS for 6-years and only used it handheld once just to prove it could be done. To my way of thinking, a technical camera is meant to be used on a tripod; when I want to handhold I use a DF. Just my crazy way of thinking. Yes it can be handheld, but why?

don
    I agree Don - there is not much of point in shooting a tech camera handheld.
    I am certainly not planning to make a habbit of using it handheld.

Its just somewhat of an option. I've seen with Dan Lindberg's work that clearly demonstrates it can be done. So just keeping a possibility open.

Otherwise I am in agreement with your sentiment. A DF or M9.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Ken beat me to it. Also good idea on looking at John's kit for sale. Either way a great move.
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post
    Actually, John Milich has found a way to use the HPF rings and the t/s panel on the Cambo.

I was seriously intrigued, but in reality have found that the Cambo works just fine for me without the HPF rings. I don't feel remiss at all.

ken
    Thanks for your input Ken.
    And for pointing out John Milich's solution.
    I'll search for threads that have that information in detail.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don Libby View Post
    Ken beat me to it. Also good idea on looking at John's kit for sale. Either way a great move.
    Does John have a website, or is this kit available here via getdpi?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Does John have a website, or is this kit available here via getdpi?
    Best to drop him a PM at jlm here at getdpi.
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Victor

Do you permanently orient the STC body vertically and have the grip installed on the side where the bottom would normally be?

Your experience with the lens quality sounds concerning, especially given the price. Are there any particuar lenses that you've had problems with?

Thanks
    Actually the grip can only be installed for use when the camera is positioned for lateral shift. I do leave my grip on permanently for occasionally shifting with longer lenses but its on the bottom when tripod mounted for rise/fall..... RRS plates (small and medium) work really well for me. I have found that shifting much beyond 10mm (I'm being very conservative and picky) is iffy for me. Even the Schneider 60mm with its humongous image circle will have some LCC correction necessary and all of that can be eliminated with just moving around the Nodal point instead. You can do it your own way......

My only comment about lens quality is you had better test each lens for yourself. I don't care who it comes from!!! Its a shame to even have to post this but I had to go through three different 35XL's and finally sent mine to Schneider and it finally got fixed. Even my beloved Schneider 60mm showed skewing which Schneider fixed (for free). I had a 50mm Rody that lasted for about 48 hours after obvious skewing..... all of this is unbelievable for lenses in this price range. Don't buy any lens from anyone who won't take it back (No Questions Asked!!) or exchanged until you are happy. No one at any dealer can be your benchmark! Bottom line.... if you don't like it then they either replace it or take it back until you are happy. At 5 to 7 grand a pop I don't think that's too much to ask!!

Victor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would echo the comments on handholding a tech camera. Focusing, shutter release, no TTL VF etc., make this quite difficult, not to mention one of the main reasons for using such a clunky setup it is to maximize IQ. Also, if you're using base ISO on most CCD backs, and you're shooting tech lenses (usually in the f7-11 range), you'll be limited for light. Adding a CF takes this down another 1-2 stops.

Having said this, the Alpa models are probably the best for handholding. I have played with he STC and the TC and both are sweet. Some of their grip solutions help with this as well.

The Arca's are not quite what I would call hand-holdable. First of all, the focusing system just screams tripod, at least for me. Secondly, I use the factum when I want a lightweight kit, not necessarily so I can hand hold it. Firing the shutter, either with a one-shot cable, or the Phase wake-up cable is still a pain. The Factum is setup for rise fall, so it tends to drift with the weight of the back. Martin is apparently working on a fix for me. Once I have this, the factum, with the Rotaslide gives me a nice low-profile kit that has +/- 15mm rise/fall and +/-25mm shifts along with +/- 5 degrees of tilt.

I do use the RM3Di more than the factum. I just find it that much more robust and rigid.

If the same lenses fit in the Alpa, I would certainly have a TC for walk-around stuff, but this is not possible.

If hand-holding is important to you, then I would seriously consider the Alpa system. I went with Arca for 3 main reasons, 1. focussing - it works and when it doesn't I know who to blame, 2. not too many bits, all movements are in-body for the most part, and c) ability to use my lenses and accessories across tech cams as well as view cameras. The third point will likely be even more valuable as we get more into the CMOS backs for MFDB.

Finally, it is great that CI now carries all three, you can see them all side-by-side. I did see them at PhotoPlus with a number of different kits.

Happy travels with Dante, this is just the tip of the iceberg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vjbelle View Post
    ...sent mine to Schneider and it finally got fixed...
    Victor - did you send your lenses back to Schneider for adjustment directly (in CA? or NY?), or through a dealer? If the former, how does the process work and what's the turnaround time like?

TIA,

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Jagsiva:

Thanks for your thoughtful comments.

Who is this Dante fellow - I keep seeing references to him all over MFDB forum ...
    Does not sound like a very good travel companion at all

You are right in pointing out the challenges to the hand-holding possibilities of such a technical setup.
    I think its rather the smaller and more manageable form-factor than the actual ability to hand hold and capture a shot that interests me.

You mentioned "Factum is setup for rise fall, so it tends to drift with the weight of the back" - that sounds like an annoying problem.
    So it does not lock in position? Does it drift by ~1mm or a lot more?

Yes - it is nice to be able to see all three setups Arca/Alpa/Cambo at the same time and be able to hold the equipment to get a feel.
    It was nice to visit Capture Integration offices, as I was travelling for thanksgiving and decided to make a detour. Steve was most helpful and accomodating.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

John has a website for his camera parts (JLM Milich Advanced Camera Parts), but you can easily reach him through his contact information at GetDPI: The GetDPI Photography Forums - View Profile: jlm

There are numerous examples of his photos taken with the camera he's selling on the forum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Surprised to here the Factum drifts on rise and fall as the rm3di is very solid on rise and or fall. Never see any drifting.

There is no center 0 indent which I would like to see.

Hope Martin can come up with a fix on the Factum.

On the grip I use the grip extension on the rm3di which makes a huge difference. Not sure if that works on the Factum.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by f8orbust View Post
    Victor - did you send your lenses back to Schneider for adjustment directly (in CA? or NY?), or through a dealer? If the former, how does the process work and what's the turnaround time like?

TIA,

Jim
    All of my lenses went to Germany for repair. The process is a little difficult as to shipment but USPS (amazing as this is) is the best and least costly and I did not go through my dealer but instead dealt directly with Schneider in Germany. All of my stuff is insured so compared to FedEx this was the best choice. No matter what all lenses have to go back to Germany...... Turnaround time is about a month to six weeks but its done right!!

Victor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The factum drifts, and can drift all the way down if allowed to. It is not a geared movement, but rather a tensioned push/pull. It does have a clear indent of for centre though, but again, nothing prevents it from driving out of this. The Rotaslide, on the other hand, has a lock mechanism that prevents it from doing this. I am guessing Martin can do something similar here. The Rm3Di is geared and simply solid.

If it had been setup for shift, this would be less of an issue. Of course, you can mount the "Tum" around and use it in landscape orientation were it is in Shift mode. However, this is another one of my gripes with the Factum, the L-bracket. The L-bracket does not have the rigidity of the the rest of the components. I have the same complaint using the L-bracket on the Rm3Di. I often would like to use the Rm3Di in landscape orientation so I can use the bigger movements (+30mm, -20mm vs. +/-15mm) for shifts, but not having a rigid way of doing this is an issue. Another option is to get the cube on it's side, but again, this is nowhere near the rigidity of when it is centred on the tripod base. Also, if you do not have the tripod fully extended, it does get tippy.

One thought maybe for Arca to add a removable foot on the other side, but there are so many things going on all four sides of these camera that this may not be that easy. Firstly, the feet are designed so you can drop the back without the foot getting in the way or needing a riser. This is really a very clever design. Secondly, the sides take grips, eModule Cloud adapters, The Helical mount release, VF etc., so there is quite a bit going on already on the sides of the body.

So there are limitations, but one thing about Martin is that anything that he comes up with is always elegant. Sometimes I wish he was more "industrialized" like Alpa, with a proper website, people to call etc., but along with that comes a degree of commercialization. What he does is truly a labor of love, so to some degree, I am willing to overlook some of these things.

Jamgolf, if you don't know who Dante already, no sweat, you will know him intimately soon!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BTW, Jamgolf, what back are you going to be using? It won't really matter for the body, but for your next post about where to drop 20K on 3 lenses it will be good to know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jagsiva View Post
    BTW, Jamgolf, what back are you going to be using? It won't really matter for the body, but for your next post about where to drop 20K on 3 lenses it will be good to know
    The whooshing sound of cash from your wallet is a familiar one too.

Post Thanks / Like

You really don't need the HPF rings on the Cambo. If you need critical focus, shooting tethered via USB3 capable MFDB is a great option. (insert whooshing sound of cash for IQ series MFDB here).

But for camera porn, here is some of John Milich's handiwork: http://forum.getdpi.com/gallery/files/7/4/cambo_x1.jpg

ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What others have said about handholding, it's not the easiest or slickest solution. The main problem is that the package (camera/lens/back) very easily get's heavy in the long run. I occasionally use an Alpa TC with the SK24XL handheld, like when a tripod is not possible, e.g. a sailboat. This works, because the SK24XL is tiny and the TC is a better choice over the STC in these cases. In such situations I typically shoot at a 1/250s or 1/500s (f11, iso200) - so it needs to be reasonable bright. It is doable and I'm glad I have this choice, but it's not perfect.

Cheers, -Peter
    Alpa TC • STC | IQ140 | 24XL • 35XL • 120N-ASPH
    www.peterlomdahl.com

Post Thanks / Like

My factum could drift if moved or slightly hit (think moving the tripod from one place to another), especially on really warm days. I asked Martin to fix it last month, and also requested a design change in the future, something like a real lock mechanism.
    For now it no longer drifts, and the movements feels much tighter, as one would expect.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jagsiva View Post
    Yeah you read me perfectly. My third thread will be about lenses Well one lens to begin with.
    I did a partial trade of equipment for a Credo 60 with another photographer.

This Dante fellow sounds like folk I'd tell my kids to stay clear of

Post Thanks / Like

My factum could drift if moved or slightly hit (think moving the tripod from one place to another), especially on really warm days. I asked Martin to fix it last month, and also requested a design change in the future, something like a real lock mechanism.
    For now it no longer drifts, and the movements feels much tighter, as one would expect.
    Please excuse my ignorance. Is Martin an Arca employee, a designer or machinist of sorts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Martin is the owner/operator/chief of everything...

They also have a couple of guys that know glass as good as anyone.

The 60MP CCD back is a great matchup for tech use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post
    You really don't need the HPF rings on the Cambo. If you need critical focus, shooting tethered via USB3 capable MFDB is a great option. (insert whooshing sound of cash for IQ series MFDB here).

But for camera porn, here is some of John Milich's handiwork: http://forum.getdpi.com/gallery/files/7/4/cambo_x1.jpg

ken
    Ken

Thanks for sharing that picture of John's solution. Looks pretty good. I sent him a note about this too.

I understand what you are saying about not needing an HPF ring. I have been shooting with a Horseman 617 and you really dont have any choice but to guesstimate and set focus distance. It works. But I am always unsure and over-compensate by stopping down a couple of stops further than I need to. Sometimes that results in unwanted motion blur. I really do not want that same feeling with this setup.

Jawad

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yeah you read me perfectly. My third thread will be about lenses Well one lens to begin with.
    I did a partial trade of equipment for a Credo 60 with another photographer.

This Dante fellow sounds like folk I'd tell my kids to stay clear of
    Well, ahead of the lens thread, I'll throw a strong recommendation to start with a Rodenstock 40HR and if it's on an Alpa then definitely get it with the 17mm fitting and either a 17mm spacer or tilt adapter.

It's a personal thing but if I were to just have one lens with a full sized sensor tech camera then it would be the Rodenstock 40mm. I probably shoot mine 75% of the time, probably more.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Well, ahead of the lens thread, I'll throw a strong recommendation to start with a Rodenstock 40HR and if it's on an Alpa then definitely get it with the 17mm fitting and either a 17mm spacer or tilt adapter.

It's a personal thing but if I were to just have one lens with a full sized sensor tech camera then it would be the Rodenstock 40mm. I probably shoot mine 75% of the time, probably more even.

Thanks for the recommendation Graham.
    Actually I am considering the 40HRW as my first lens.

Ideally I would like a 32mm but that would probably not be possible at this time.
    But 70mm HR is another lens I am considering. It has a 100mm IC and based on what I have seen in the images thread, it seems to be optically very good.

So yeah its either 40mm (85% odds) or 70mm.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I too highly recommend the 40HR as it stays on my WRS more than 70% of the time (I also have a 72 and 120 which both see action depending on where I'm shooting).

Don (Dante's poor cousin)

you may want to look the thread Ken started awhile back regarding tethering via the USB3 with a Surface Pro 2 or 3. I've done it now for a couple months beginning with the smaller 2 and now the larger 3 and it makes life much simpler.
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great combo - if I didn't already have my 90HR I'd actually go with the 70 myself too.

The 32 was the other likely lens that you'll be recommended. It is phenomenal but it's 40mm brother is no slouch either.

Btw, when it comes to technical camera lenses 'optically good' really doesn't cover it. Even my film era Schneider & Rodenstock wide lenses completely blew away anything available for my medium format DSLR, and that includes my current Phase One/Schneider lenses

Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Btw, when it comes to technical camera lenses 'optically good' really doesn't cover it. Even my film era Schneider & Rodenstock wide lenses completely blew away anything available for my medium format DSLR, and that includes my current Phase One/Schneider lenses
    very good point!
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Ken

Thanks for sharing that picture of John's solution. Looks pretty good. I sent him a note about this too.

I understand what you are saying about not needing an HPF ring. I have been shooting with a Horseman 617 and you really dont have any choice but to guesstimate and set focus distance. It works. But I am always unsure and over-compensate by stopping down a couple of stops further than I need to. Sometimes that results in unwanted motion blur. I really do not want that same feeling with this setup.

Jawad
    Ahhh, Credo 60. USB enabled, Dante approved.

You're ready to tether with the Surface Pro. There are a couple of good threads on tethering with the Surface Pro here in this forum, with good user tips and experiences. I wrote a blog article awhile back on the tethering with the Surface Pro, which also has a shopping list of recommended items. Microsoft’s Surface Pro 2: A Game Changer for Phase One IQ Series and Leaf Credo Medium Format Digital Backs | Kendoophotography's Blog

And since you already have the Credo 60, the cost for acquiring the Surface Pro and related tethering items is relatively minor. Really.

I have both the HR40 t/s and HR70 t/s. You can't go wrong with either, though the HR40 remains my hard fast favorite. It's also Dante approved. I could easily go on a trip packing only the HR40 t/s as my one-lens wonder (and I have done so) and be totally happy. It's that good.

ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now that we are on to lenses...

40HR - fantastic, relatively small, good movement

32HR - fantasticer!! large, but less flare than the 40HR (which is likely just picking on my part). If the 32 was a girl, my wife would leave me

70HR - no experience, but since you mentioned it, the NEW 60XL is superb. Huge IC, great quality, no need for spacer, and small. Also, fairly priced.

90HRSW - same wet your pants outcome as the 32HR, maybe a touch better. The 32 is awesome since it does things so well at such a wide angle, the 90HRSW is just perfect, and almost to its max IC of 125mm (extremely good to about 120mm). Both of these also live up to Dante's wrath on your wallet.

PS. 32HR needs a CF if you really want to compare quality across the frame with he 40HR.