The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cambo Actus and Sony A7r

Frencm

Hi

I recently bought the Cambo Actus to use with my A7r-mainly to shoot jewellery and watches.
Now I have to decide on lenses to use with this combo-does anyone have a run down on the best ones to use with this combination?
Will the Rodagon apo N lenses work well with this as good as or better than LF digital?I already have a Rodenstock 105mm apo digitar but after trying it out it isn't suitable as the object in the frame is too small at minimum focusing distance(it doesn't focus at infinity either which is a minus too).

Many thanks for your help
Mark

Frencm

Not really sure where this post fits in-its not LF or MF really.It is a tech/view camera combined with Sony but may be of interest to many 35mm users and MFDB users who can also use the camera.
Any suggestions as to the best forum to get replies welcome!

scho

Hi

I recently bought the Cambo Actus to use with my A7r-mainly to shoot jewellery and watches.
Now I have to decide on lenses to use with this combo-does anyone have a run down on the best ones to use with this combination?
Will the Rodagon apo N lenses work well with this as good as or better than LF digital?I already have a Rodenstock 105mm apo digitar but after trying it out it isn't suitable as the object in the frame is too small at minimum focusing distance(it doesn't focus at infinity either which is a minus too).

Mark
I have an Actus, but I don't shoot macros so can't help with the lens question. You can get more extension (45mm) if needed by rotating the front standard 180 degrees using the swing adjustment knob. You could also PM some of the people who posted in this thread about shooting macros with tech/view cameras.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Admin note: I think this is a fine place for the question as the Actus is a "multi-format" platform that uses both MF and LF glass, and MF shooters probably have a broader experience with good macro glass that will fit... I mean really guys, who cares what sensor gets mounted behind the platform for this question?

With that said, I am not certain how well it will perform on small pixel digital, but the Nikkor 120 macro was a hecka good macro, and IIRC, it rendered well over 120 LP/mm which should hold up well on small pixel digital just fine. Uses a #0 lensboard and offers good working distance. Two other interesting choices for that cam could be the Mamiya RZ macro -- IIRC it is 140mm and was excellent, and should be available pretty inexpensive now -- or the Hassy CF 120 macro, also excellent. THe Mamiya 645 120 macro is also excellent, just cannot recall if there are M645 mounts for the Actus?

Second note: You can reverse -- meaning swap rear with front -- elements of almost any good LF lens in the shutter and turn it into a very good macro for 1:2 to greater than 3 or 4:1 -- just make certain the generally longer front element now facing the sensor will not hit it. Not an issue with the Sony as the body shields it, but could be a serious issue for an unprotected MFDB sensor.

Steve Hendrix

Admin note: I think this is a fine place for the question as the Actus is a "multi-format" platform that uses both MF and LF glass, and MF shooters probably have a broader experience with good macro glass that will fit... I mean really guys, who cares what sensor gets mounted behind the platform for this question?

With that said, I am not certain how well it will perform on small pixel digital, but the Nikkor 120 macro was a hecka good macro, and IIRC, it rendered well over 120 LP/mm which should hold up well on small pixel digital just fine. Uses a #0 lensboard and offers good working distance. Two other interesting choices for that cam could be the Mamiya RZ macro -- IIRC it is 140mm and was excellent, and should be available pretty inexpensive now -- or the Hassy CF 120 macro, also excellent. THe Mamiya 645 120 macro is also excellent, just cannot recall if there are M645 mounts for the Actus?

Second note: You can reverse -- meaning swap rear with front -- elements of almost any good LF lens in the shutter and turn it into a very good macro for 1:2 to greater than 3 or 4:1 -- just make certain the generally longer front element now facing the sensor will not hit it. Not an issue with the Sony as the body shields it, but could be a serious issue for an unprotected MFDB sensor.

Technically, I would say that I think it is relevant what sensor is behind the glass - otherwise, this category gets opened up to all sorts of cameras, from 4/3 on up, since all of those can use medium format/large format glass with various 3rd party adapters (FotoDiox, etc).

But the Cambo Actus, both in the front, and in the back, is a multi-platform camera, not just in the front with the lenses, but also in the back, with the choice of MFDB and/or 35mm and smaller sensors. So I believe it's certainly relevant to this category.

During our testing, the Hasselblad CF 120mm lens was one of the lenses used, and most of our testing was performed with the Sony A7R, which has a pixel size of 4.9 microns, I believe. I found the results were stellar with this combination.

You could also consider the Mamiya 120mm macro as well, since there is now a Mamiya 645 lensboard. Just make sure it has a manual aperture ring (not the newer versions).

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

Steve Hendrix

Mark, keep in mind you can reverse the front swing 180º to extend the clearance a bit (if you haven't tried this already). Also, Cambo is now ready with an extended bellows - details to follow. This would still not get you to 1:1 with the 105mm, but FYI.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

yaya

I only suggested posting it on a different forum because A. The A7 is not MF, and B. If you use the Actus with a digital back the lens has to have a leaf shutter in it and also the difference in sensor size and these two make a difference in lens choice and what you can/ cannot do with the camera.

BR

dickb

Hi

Mark
It isn't completely clear to me what your problem with the 105 apo digitar is. Are you saying that with full bellows extension the resulting magnification isn't high enough? If that is the case, more extension seems to be an obvious solution, through extension rings on the front or rear panel. Extension between rear panel and camera may lead to more vignetting with extreme tilts. When you say it doesn't focus at infinity you mean that with the bellows fully closed the lens/bellows/camera combination is still focussed to a point closer than infinity? This would surprise me, I thought with the minimum depth of the bellows and a A7R a 105mm lens should reach infinity. Maybe the digitar is designed differently from the enlarging lenses I'm used to.

The Apo Rodagon N 80mm f/4 has an image circle of 91.6mm at infinity according to Rodenstock literature. This should get you a decent amount of room for tilt and shift on an A7R. And a back focal length of 75.5mm, so the image when focussed on infinity should be projected 75.5mm behind the last glass element of the Apo Rodagon. The flange depth of a Sony A7r is 18mm so if the total minimum extension of the Actus is 57.5mm or less you should be able to get infinity. From the picture I saw I thought the minimum is less than 5 cm, but I may be wrong. Could you measure that for me? Alternatively, Kampen isn't that far away from me, maybe I should have a look at their factory for myself..

Anyway, the shorter the focal length, the higher the magnification at a given bellows extension, so the 80mm may well give you the magnification you are looking for. The 50mm Apo Rodagon N for instance would give you even more magnification, but with an image circle of 43.3mm at infinity and a back focal length of 31.8mm it wouldn't be very practical to use.

Steve Hendrix

FYI - the new extended bellows for the Actus is now available to order. Cost is $382 USD. The extension on this bellows is 250mm, compared to 150mm on the standard bellows.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

Don Libby

Steve, can't seem to wrap my head around this even after checking Cambo's site. It seems there is a lens plate (AC-786) for Sony E lenses. Does this mean we can use FE lenses?

jimban

FYI - the new extended bellows for the Actus is now available to order. Cost is $382 USD. The extension on this bellows is 250mm, compared to 150mm on the standard bellows.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Hi Steve-

Does the extended bellows require a longer rail as well?

jim

Steve Hendrix

Steve, can't seem to wrap my head around this even after checking Cambo's site. It seems there is a lens plate (AC-786) for Sony E lenses. Does this mean we can use FE lenses?

Don - that is the bayonet for mounting the Sony A7 cameras, not for lenses.

Jim - the longer bellows doesn't require a longer rail, whether a longer rail will be an option in the future, I will have to get back to you on.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

Don Libby

Thanks Steve, that now clears it up for me. So, which lenses can be used and do they need a separate lens board?

Thinking........

ondebanks

Copal 0
m39 Leica thread
Hasselblad C bayonet
Mamiya RZ/RB bayonet
Mamiya 645 Pro bayonet
Leica R bayonet
Nikon F bayonet

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Steve, great to see that there is now a Mamiya 645 lensplate.

One thing is missing from the specs - what's the heaviest/longest lens that can be used? The front standard does not look terribly thick, so hanging the likes of a 500mm lens off the front might tax it too much?

I know in such cases it would probably be better to switch things around, i.e. tripod-mount the lens and let the Actus + camera body hang freely off the back of it. But Cambo must have a spec as to where the transition point comes, in terms of the moment of inertia of the lens?

Ray

Steve Hendrix

Steve, great to see that there is now a Mamiya 645 lensplate.

One thing is missing from the specs - what's the heaviest/longest lens that can be used? The front standard does not look terribly thick, so hanging the likes of a 500mm lens off the front might tax it too much?

I know in such cases it would probably be better to switch things around, i.e. tripod-mount the lens and let the Actus + camera body hang freely off the back of it. But Cambo must have a spec as to where the transition point comes, in terms of the moment of inertia of the lens?

Ray

Hi Ray -

I'll see what Cambo has to say, but I think the bigger issue is going to be a lens that size is going to impact the gearing of the tilt. I mounted a 140mm - 280mm Hasselblad lens today and found that the tilt couldn't quite hold the position. The lensboard itself seemed solid. But certainly I would use a lens tripod in the event one wanted to use a really, really big lens, and also perhaps a body tripod in combination to be able to assist keeping the tilt in place.

But I'll see if Cambo has any specification recommendations in terms of the lensboard load itself.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

dickb

Scroll to bottom:

https://captureintegration.com/cambo-actus-view-camera/

Short version:

Copal 0
m39 Leica thread
Hasselblad C bayonet
Mamiya RZ/RB bayonet
Mamiya 645 Pro bayonet
Leica R bayonet
Nikon F bayonet

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
One bit of information is missing from this spec list is the minimum extension possible. If you use the m39 Leica thread lensplate, what is its distance to the sensor plane, when using a Sony E mount camera? I would expect it to be more than the 28.8mm register of LTM lenses.

On second thought, studying the side view of the camera, the rear standard with E mount appears to add about 12mm of extension and the front standard about 5mm. That would leave 3 or 4 mm for the bag bellows.

For my use a Canon EF bayonet lensplate would be most practical, even without electronic contacts, as many of my lenses are adapted to EF mount. Any idea whether Cambo plans to offer such a lensplate?

Pics2

Hi

Mark
Since you want to shoot macro, the most logical solution would be Rodenstock 120mm Apo Macro Sironar Digital and Schneider 120mm Macro Apo Digitar, besides already mentioned Hasselblad and Mamiya macro lenses. There is no much to debate about when it comes to macro photography - use a macro lens.

Schmiddi

Since you want to shoot macro, the most logical solution would be Rodenstock 120mm Apo Macro Sironar Digital and Schneider 120mm Macro Apo Digitar, besides already mentioned Hasselblad and Mamiya macro lenses.
But is there enough extension? To reach 1:1 you need some 240mm from lens to sensor (right?). But if that's possible then those lenses are simply amazing...
Andreas