The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Contax 645 and a brighter screen

arionelli

I get that you dial down the iso setting on a film back to recompense for the faster shutter speed set by the “unnaturally" brighter light of an enhanced focusing screen with the prism finder on the Contax in average (not spot) meter mode, allowing continued use of aperture priority and the expo comp dial. But what to do with a digital back where changing the iso is a considered choice that can affect image quality? Am I missing something that I think this limits me to manual mode?
Thanks for any further understanding.
Martin

carstenw

Why not use exposure compensation and let the camera handle it, leaving the ISO as is on the back?

arionelli

I understand what you're saying, Carsten, and that is my intention. But with the prism, doesn't a 2 stop increase in light to the meter mean overexposing 2 stops on the exposure compensation dial to get back to normal? The Contax dial only gives +/- 2 so my brain tells me that I'll only be able to use the dial from 0 to -4 stops with a 2 stop brighter screen. According to Bill Maxwell, his enhancement treatments can add up to almost 6 stops extra light, though usually about 2.

darr

I would run exposure compensation tests in 1/3 stops till you find the correct compensation and it may change with different lenses. Even though the manufacture of the bright screen says you are receiving 2 stops more visible light in the viewfinder, you may be surprised to find that is not what the back is receiving. You can also try to find a repair facility that can re-calibrate the prism to the new screen. I personally would just shoot manually with a meter.

Kind regards,
Darr

carstenw

Hmm, I see what you mean. Well, it might mean manual mode is needed then, and possibly, as Darr says, meter manually.

Btw, I think the Contax 645 has 1/2 stops, doesn't it?

arionelli

You wish...one of its minor shortcomings is that the beautiful shutter speed dial does only spin around in full stops.

Thanks Darr, that might be why I haven't let my Pentax spottie go yet ;>)

Btw, this whole topic is really only relevant when using the Contax in 'convenience' mode i.e., aperture/shutter priority with the in-prism centre weighted metering. The spot meter is set up in the body, and is the only in-camera meter when using the wlf.

Martin

Last edited: