The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hassy vs. Mamiya 7II

richardman

My goal is to have a more portable but "almost as good" alternative when I don't want to lug around the 4x5 or 617 view camera. I do not mind rangefinder since I have been using Leica for over 10 years.

I know that the Mamiya 7 does not do head & shoulder portraits or closer. I know that according to MTF etc., the Mamiya lens are better. The Mamiya kit will be lighter.

I know that the Hassy (501cm/503cm) is a more flexible system with more lens and portrait possibility, and also long (multiple hours even) exposures. It can use multiple backs.

I will use a tripod. Shooting mainly color neg film and some slides.

Given all that, the print size requirement is that it has to look good at 30x40 or even higher. I have a LS-9000 scanner and will pay for drum scan if needed.

Is the Hassy up to the task with respect to the print size requirement?

I actually used an Mamiya 7II for about a year, and also a 503CW for the same length of time, albeit only with a P25+ and not really the film back. My requirements were different then.

Comments and suggestions? Thanks

ondebanks

Richard,

Looks like you are well appraised of both systems.

You forgot to mention the type of subject matter you intend to shoot with it? That would help, to get targeted advice.

Ray

richardman

Ah, true. Although if it's on a tripod, it shouldn't matter much? :)

Landscapes/Cityscapes/Environmental Portraits. In fact, I just created this:
Richard Man Photography

It's a lousy portfolio since it's just a bunch of images lump together, but these are my favorite images from the past 4-5 years. This should give you some ideas of my preferred subject matter.

Gears used includes 4x5, 617, XPan, Leica M9, Leica M7, SWC/M, Olympus E3 and even one from the 503cw/P25+. Lots of pano, as you can see :)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
If the goal is portability then I'd definitely favor the Mamiya 7II with just a couple of lenses such as the 43 & 65 or 80mm.

I have a 503cxi outfit and it quickly becomes a heavyweight package once you go past a couple of lenses. It's very versatile but ultimately I doubt that it's any more portable than your 617.

I used to shoot with the Mamiya a few years ago and it was a very capable travel solution. To be honest I don't know that there would be much difference in quality between the outfits given that both have superb lenses for film - the mamiya being probably my favorite although just remember to treat hyperfocal settings with a pinch of salt.

Of course, there is also the matter of film format 6x7 vs 6x6 if that matters to you.

darr

Hi Richard!

I have owned both systems and enjoyed them equally, but for different reasons. The Mamiya 7II is IMO, the choice with the least amount of weight and hassle for what you want to shoot. :)

I am not much of a rangefinder shooter (sold a Leica M7 not long after acquiring it), but the slides I got from my 7II + 80mm lens were a thing of beauty. I did have the 150mm + optical viewfinder and was disappointed with the experience, but I was expecting something from a rangefinder that was not in the design. The Hasselblad V system is an all time favorite of mine for portraiture, but the Mamiya 7II would be my choice for the work you have planned.

Kind regards,
Darr

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
My suggestion is going to be jaded by my own needs and considerations, so that said here is my .02:

1) The Mamiya is an outstanding choice if you know you're only going to be shooting film for the needs you specified. Its only two nits are poor close focus ability and the RF going out of adjustment (which is a relatively easy adjustment if you buy the tool). 2) However, if you even think digital is a remote possibility or future desire, then I'd reco the Hassy; not only can digital backs be adapted to the Hassy C and F bodies, the lenses can be used on other platforms like the Cambo ACTUS.

richardman

Thanks all for the advice. When someone buys my Gaoersi 4x5 camera, I will look at the options again then.

*decision, decision*

Hulyss Bowman

I would not go in those systems, Imho.

The Hassys are complicated, fragile pieces of craftsmanship with usual big MF mirror.

The M7ii is more robust, lenses are state of the art but it is old gear.

Have a look at the Fuji 667 and 667W. With both you are good for portraiture and all the rest. It is modern, very solid, totally silent and leaf shutter (good for flash - max 1/500).

Lenses are extremely good to.

richardman

I will need at least wide, normal and (short) telephoto for the type of work I do, so as good as 667 may be, they are out of running.

Thanks.

Hulyss Bowman

If you are able to buy a drum scanner you will have no problem to buy used Digital MF gear. Your level of starvingness is actually 20 not 60 !

richardman

"...will pay for drum scan if needed." means sending negs for scanning, not buying a drum scanner.

And I used to have money and hopefully will again. Hence all these equipments.

Last edited:

SHV

"I will use a tripod. Shooting mainly color neg film and some slides"
Just a hobbyist, but looking at your portrait work, the 'blad 110mm F2, on 6x6 film might give you spectacular creative results.

Steve

richardman

"I will use a tripod. Shooting mainly color neg film and some slides"
Just a hobbyist, but looking at your portrait work, the 'blad 110mm F2, on 6x6 film might give you spectacular creative results.

Steve
Hi Steve, yes, my current Transformations:Cosplay project, of which I posted many samples at the Large Format Camera subforum at GetDPI, uses the 4x5. That particular project will remain at 4x5 as that's one of its draws, but the Hassy does speak to me on that level.

Thanks

SHV

" my current Transformations:Cosplay project"
I enjoy that project very much; as much from the "sociology" as the photography. An area of human activity that I previously didn't know existed.

Here is a 110 hand held shot, with ambient light, of the only subject immediately available, at F2. Not great but give some indication of the character of the 110mm.

Steve

bensonga

Hi Richard. I own both the Hasselblad and Mamiya 7II cameras/systems. If you generally plan to use a tripod, then I suggest you go with the Hasselblad. More lenses, choice of film backs, and ultimately a low cost digital back option. Main advantage of the M7II is lighter weight, portability, quiet shutter....although for me, the 6x7 format is also a big plus.

Personally, if I wanted 6x7 on a tripod, I would choose a Pentax 67II or RZ67 Pro II. I also own both of those systems. The Pentax 67 is one of my favorites.

Gary

tjv

The Mamiya 7II is hands down the best camera system I have ever owned and I regret every day that I sold it (to pay for processing of two years worth of C-41 sheet film, no less!) I love shooting Hasselblad V cameras too, but hate using the prism finders. They're just too dim for my tastes. For tripod work, I wouldn't hesitate with the 7II.

Stuart Richardson

If you like panoramas, the Mamiya 7II will be a better option than the Hasselblad because it has more film area and for the most part better wide angle lenses (the ones for Hasselblad are very good, but other than the SWC they are not in the same league as the Mamiya wide angles, particularly if you take distortion into account, which is quite important for panoramas if you have a long flat horizon).
I agree with tjv that the Mamiya 7II is really something else. In the past I have used a Mamiya 7 kit, Hasselblad 203FE kit, Rollei 6008AF and a lot of other very lovely camera systems, and the Mamiya 7 is the one that I most consistently reached for for landscape work, wide-angle work and travel-style photography. The Rollei and Hasselblad are better at portraits and studio work, and they can certainly do the stuff the Mamiya does as well, but they cannot match the Mamiya for the ease of handling, quality of wide-angles and performance to bulk/weight ratio. I still have and use the Mamiya kit and the Hasselblad kit, but the Mamiya gets used more often.

Nothing is going to come close to your 6x17 for panoramas though...at least if you are printing big. That is just massive amounts of film area. That said, the Mamiya and Hasselblad will both do 30x40 without an issue, assuming a fine-grained film and good technique.