Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: CFV50c Images

shown here on a 500C

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know why exactly Hasselblad are unable to make the battery integrated like on a PhaseOne back? It really ruins the clean look of a V-series and always bugged me a lot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    on the SWC: the existing plate on the SWC gets removed and replaced (same screws) with the stainless steel plate shown. this move everything forward so the battery will clear.

It's really cool, John!!

I sent you a pm regarding the plate. Thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like

Here are some more tests shots of the blue sky on the IQ250 (/w 23HR and 40HR) for download (26 files in total, still uploading as of posting this): https://www.dropbox.com/sh/v7k5cmdgp...a0cqj1jUa?dl=0

Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Void!

Post Thanks / Like

For those interested in the CFV-50c and may be close to NYC, check out the following message I received earlier today. I have no affiliation with Foto Care other than being a customer since my days attending The School of Visual Arts, and recently purchased a new ALPA TC and accessories from Jeff Hirsh and could not be happier with the transaction. It is good to see a dealer offering demos of the CFV-50c.

"Creativity takes courage." ~ Henri Matisse
    Darlene Almeda, photoscapes.com

Post Thanks / Like

has anyone a link or samples comparing the cfv-50c with the "old" zeiss lens to newer "high end" lens like the new h -system hasselblad ones or rodenstock / schneider....

is it worth using the great new digipack with the "old CF or CFI lenses?
    [ no picture ]

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Slightly off topic because I went with the IQ150, but I'm in the same boat regarding the CFE / CF and even C lenses as I have a V mount Alpa FPS adapter coming.

I'm not expecting Rodenstock technical camera lens excellence but I am looking forward to leveraging the character of the Hassy Zeiss lenses.

Love to see what you folks are getting from you C/CF/CFE lenses too

Btw, does anyone know the image circle of the 40mm CF?
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

Hi again, guys. In preparation for demoing the CFV-50c on my Techno, I'd like to look over the user manual. Is there any chance someone out there that has it on disk – presumably it's supplied on disk when buing the back? – could wire it to me? I'm guessing it's really simple, but it'd be good to do some homework before I jump in.
    T

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I went looking on Hasselblad.com and the links were all broken or non-existant. The data sheet said that the manual was available for download at hasselblad.com but the link was to the root and the search failed for me.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

Same result for me. Teething problems with the new website? It if comes to it, I'll get the dealer to wire it to me before we meet, I guess. I'm just being impatient.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

How about this link?

Downloads

After you click Manuals on the Downloads drop down menu, you have to log on. I couldn't try in because I don't have an account.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a link to a copy of the CFV-50c manual from my dropbox.

Kind regards,
    Darr

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by steve_cor View Post
    How about this link?

Downloads

After you click Manuals on the Downloads drop down menu, you have to log on. I couldn't try in because I don't have an account.
    I spent a lot of time just trying to register to download Phocus. Finally got it to work but it took a while.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Btw, does anyone know the image circle of the 40mm CF?
    Figures are quoted for the Flex Body for shift, image circle. Bear in mind these are for full frame 6x6 so by calculation the shift available for a cropped sensor can be estimated.

The Hasselblad Flexbody Camera: Features and Specifications

Lens Coverage

CFE 40 +/- 1mm

CFi 50 +/- 5mm

CB 60 +/- 10mm

CFE 80 +/- 10mm

CFi 100 +/- 14mm

CFi 120 +/- 14mm

CFi 150 +/- 15mm

CFi 180 +/- 12mm

CFi 250 +/- 10mm

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, Darr! Got it and will print it out to read it today!

As an aside, do you have any new thoughts on the back? How's it performing now you're used to it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tjv View Post
    Thank you, Darr! Got it and will print it out to read it today!

As an aside, do you have any new thoughts on the back? How's it performing now you're used to it?
    Hi Tim,

I was waiting for an affordable Live View (LV) CMOS back and now that I got it, it is everything I wanted. I, like a lot of photographers would prefer a full frame back (for larger lens perspectives, not pixels), but until then, I am happy.

I am also happy thus far with the performance matched with my V system. I use the V system for creating art, not scientific or landscape work, so I cannot comment on how wide lenses (don't own a V wide) work with the V + back, but for what I am currently shooting, it works just fine.

BTW, the manual is a bit thin in areas, like how to do LV with the V system (not mentioned in the manual), but you may not be using it for the V system.

Kind regards,
    Darr

Post Thanks / Like

has anyone a link or samples comparing the cfv-50c with the "old" zeiss lens to newer "high end" lens like the new h -system hasselblad ones or rodenstock / schneider....

is it worth using the great new digipack with the "old CF or CFI lenses?
    maybe anybody can help me with this....?!
    [ no picture ]

Post Thanks / Like

Some good hasselblad cf samples here: http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-f...-645-lens.html

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all,

I'm urgently in need of some advice and guidence with the CFV-50c please.
    Today I met with the rep to test the back on my Linhof Techno, but we ran into some problems...

Firstly, we needed up update firmware so we could have on back live view. Check...

Secondly, and here's where the problems lie, we couldn't get the live view to show an anywhere useable image without stopping the lens down to f45 (we had it set to ISO100) and even then things were pretty dodgy. Diffraction and DOF meant we couldn't begin to focus. Plus the frame rate was dog slow...

I was under the impression that one could turn live view on on the back, have the lens wide open for critical focusing when zooming in, and that the back would use its electronic "shutter" to give you a good preview image? Am I right in thinking this?

If so, how do I turn that feature on? Should it be doing this automatically anyway? Without this feature I can't do the tests I was hoping to do and I'd consider the implimentation of live view a real failure...

THanks,

TJV

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all,

I'm urgently in need of some advice and guidence with the CFV-50c please.
    Today I met with the rep to test the back on my Linhof Techno, but we ran into some problems...

Firstly, we needed up update firmware so we could have on back live view. Check...

Secondly, and here's where the problems lie, we couldn't get the live view to show an anywhere useable image without stopping the lens down to f45 (we had it set to ISO100) and even then things were pretty dodgy. Diffraction and DOF meant we couldn't begin to focus. Plus the frame rate was dog slow...

I was under the impression that one could turn live view on on the back, have the lens wide open for critical focusing when zooming in, and that the back would use its electronic "shutter" to give you a good preview image? Am I right in thinking this?

If so, how do I turn that feature on? Should it be doing this automatically anyway? Without this feature I can't do the tests I was hoping to do and I'd consider the implimentation of live view a real failure...

THanks,

TJV
    (1) If using a view/tech camera, make sure your back is setup for Flash Sync:
    Menu > Settings > Camera Body > Flash Sync

(2) Set the back's "P" button for the Live View option:
    Menu > Settings > Custom Options > P Button > Live View

(3) Press the Nav button to go to area you want to zoom in at 100% and then press the "+" button.

Once setup, pushing the "P" Button at ANY aperture will work for LV.
    I do use my shooting aperture for critical focusing.

Hope this helps!
    Darr

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all that PM'd me with great info!
    I managed to shoot some tests and they look brilliant. I will post them later but don't know how to get them to display at true scale. Each time I post anything the forum rescales the file...
    In the meantime I'd like to confirm something though...

Let's say the ambient light reading is a 1/60th at f11 and ISO100. If I switch on live view and set my lens to wide open at f4.5, should the preview correct itself so that it's not blowed out and showing radical over exposure? I could only get the preview to display a legible image when stopped down past f11. This was a real bummer and I imagined live view would be more like on a DSLR.
    If this is normal, do people use ND filters to focus wide open to achieve perfect focus?

Post Thanks / Like

So, I've been processing the test shots and things look very good.

To give some details of my test, I used my Linhof Techno and Rodenstock 55mm APO Sironar-Digital. I didn't have anything wider on me, but this lens would be my perfect standard lens in a two lens setup. The second lens would be either the 40mm or 32mm HR. I also own a 90mm HR-W, but this focal length doesn't interest me at all on this size sensor. The 55mm held up okay, but falls off relatively quickly past 9mm of movements.

The first series of test I shot was from center in landscape orientation, taking a series of photos in 3mm incraments of back fall. Second series was in portrait orientation, with same series of fall on the back. For both of these, I went upto 18mm of back movment. Lastly, I shot using horizontal lens shift and back fall simultaneously, with 3mm incraments in each direction.

My observation is that things look good at pixel level upto about 12mm of shift in the landscape orientation. Interestingly, I think you can get away with more in portrait orientation. Maybe 15 or 16mm? Even more intersting was that when employing movements in two directions, things looked very good even at 9mm of horizontal shift AND 9mm of back fall. This is actually where I stopped, as it was obvious that I could have hit 12mm of fall on the back with 9mm of horizonal shift and still seen excellent results. That, plus I'd hit the limit of horizontal shift on the front standard of the Techno. (I'd buy the live view shifting back if I end up buying the 50c).

So, does anyone have any tips on the best way to post some screen grabs so they don't look horrible?

Post Thanks / Like

Interestingly, I think you can get away with more in portrait orientation.
    This is consistent with what I found with the IQ250 Movements along the longer edge of the Sony CMOS sensor appears to be more resistant with problems.

So, does anyone have any tips on the best way to post some screen grabs so they don't look horrible?
    I use skydrive. I upload screenshots to the public folder and click "view original" on an uploaded image, then copy the link and paste it into the forum code with "[img][/img]". If the image is not too big then getdpi froum would not rescale it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Using the CFV-50c with a HASSELBLAD or a TECHNICAL CAMERA , I could imagine , that WiFi would be an other great feature .
    What are your thoughts and what is your wishlist for future development of the CFV-50c ?
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Good question, Jurgen.
    I still can't ascertain if the live view performance – i.e. the preview "exposure" issue I've described. I thought it would self correct to give a useable image for focus check at full aperture – is normal for the back, or we had a setting wrong. If this issue is odd and not how others experience live view, then to be honest there's not much more I'd like to see on a future back other than a larger sensor. It'd have to be tech camera wide friendly, though!

Post Thanks / Like

Hope this displays correctly...
    Thumbnails of 50c shift test, as per the file names. Scene calibration shots and matching test shot after appying corrections.
    All shot with Techno and Rodenstock 55mm APO Sironar-Digital.

I turned off all correction boxes in Phocus except Scene Calibration and a minus 0.3 exposure, then imported into Lightroom to apply editing in my preferred software. In Lightroom I added very minor clarity and a subtle contrast curve, plus a small amount of sharpening and colour NR.

Will post crops later.

Post Thanks / Like

Have now made 22x29" prints of the 12mm and 15mm shots in both orientations. They very much exceed my expectations....

Can anyone comment on the live view things I've described above? Do you need to stop down to see the image without it blowing out? Do people focus wide open or do you have to focus at you working aperture?
    Last edited by tjv; 26th February 2015 at 22:54.

Post Thanks / Like

The Live View on the IQ250 is pretty tolerant to virtually any aperture and any light condition (sunny, outdoor, night, interior, with or without centerfilter, etc) just similar as a modern DSLR or mirrorless. I'm not sure why you would need any dynamic range control for the CFV-50C. It sounds a firmware bug or just wrong settings imo.

Post Thanks / Like

Great, thanks for the info Void.
    Darr or jlm, can I confirm with you guys on what your live view experience is? Does it sound like a bug to you?

Post Thanks / Like

I do not have any issues using Live View with my CFV 50c. I can use it at the largest or smallest aperture with no issues. I generally set it at the working aperture whether in the studio or in the outside environment; I do not require the use of a loupe or ND filter to shed ambient light. If your back is not working in this manner, I would say there is something amiss with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Darr, that's very heartening. Must have been a glitch in the back I used, most likely culpret being a dodgy firwire port used to update firmware...

Post Thanks / Like

Portrait and Landscape oritentation with 18mm fall on back. Linhof Techno with Rodenstock 55mm APO Sironar-Digital.

Post Thanks / Like

Landscape and portrait orientation crops with 15mm back fall. Still the Techno with 55mm APO SD. Thought I'd post one more set with 12mm fall on back, just so people can see what I perceive are the upper limits of movments with this back. In an ideal world I'd have tested the back in more varied lighting conditions and with differing subject matter, but I feel confident I have a good handle on performance from doing this simple set of test shots.

Post Thanks / Like

All 12mm back fall, again with Techno and Rodenstock 55mm APO SD. This lens isn't the sharpest off center, but in print it is acceptable with this much movement. Hope all the above helps a few people make some well informed decisions. For me, I think this back is a real winner. I just wish I didn't encounter the live view issues I did. I have had to send the adaptors back to Linhof Studio so won't have the opportunity to test again for peace of mind.

Post Thanks / Like

Just in case people missed my comments above regarding settings I used to convert the files, I used Phocus to apply only scene calibration and pull exposure by 0.3 stops. I turned off all other boxes, including NR and sharpening. I then imported into LR and applied a +10 clarity, did a very subtle WB adjustment. I added a +10 colour NR adjustment and +35 sharpening with a 1 pixel radius, 25 detail and 2 threshold.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm developing some interest in this back as an upgrade from a P30+.
    Questions, from those who have used it with the wides 40if, 40fle or 38mm 9xx, are there any issues here?
    Although I have never actually used a Flexbody, how do these two mate together? I can see from data for the Flex' with V lenses on 6x6 film that the 40 won't go far, 50 has +/-5mm, remainder to 250 have +/-10 to 15mm of movements. A non-expert guess is that results may vary compared with Rodie and SK lenses on tech cams (which have been subjected to a healthy dose of scrutiny already) as image circles are probably different, but otoh may be similar if aberrations are primarily an effect of angular change centre to corner.
    Thank you for any further sharing of information.
    Martin
    Last edited by arionelli; 18th August 2015 at 13:55.