Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: CFV50c Images

Post Thanks / Like

CFV50c Images

As promised, here are a few sample images. This is not the best time of year to acquire a new digital back and expect to be able to find time for trying it out, but I did get to wander off to a country road yesterday for a couple of quick shots, and I was also able to shoot some lilies in the studio tonight.

I can tell you that I like the back very much, especially the Live View (LV) because I no longer need to carry my ground glass and loupe, and anything that lightens up my bag is a blessing. My eyes are not as good as they use to be and I am wearing bifocals, but I can focus just find with LV alone.

I tried to shoot with different lenses and some shots with movements. An LCC was made for all shots, even for ones I would not normally do. The images were brought into Phocus, an LCC was created and applied, and then the images went directly into Lightroom (LR). I do not have the time to learn Phocus at the moment, so LR is it.

In chronological order:

Centipede at Flipper Park, Thomasville, GA
    Alpa Max + SK 28xl @ f/11 + CFV50c

Contrasty scene, no ND or polarizer filter, one shot exposure. I could see to focus with LV without having to use my Hoodman Loupe.

Setting Sun on Family Cemetery, Metcalf, GA
    Alpa Max + SK 47xl @ f/11 + CFV50c + 5mm Fall

The red circle indicates where I want to focus. The screen looks much better than what is in the photo.

After I clicked the '+' button, the red circle area is enlarged; I then focused on Fred's memorial.

100% enlargement from the finished photo above of where I focused. The colors are different because I use a camera to make art.

Old Rickety Shack, Metcalf, GA
    Alpa Max + SK 72xl @ f/11, 400 ASA + CFV50c + 5mm Shift, 10mm Rise

This was shot from across the road and between eighteen wheelers hauling logs to the lumberyard. This lovely shack is lopsided in all corners.

White Lillies
    Alpa Max + SK 120mm M @ f/11 + CFV50c

Behind the scenes and in the studio.
    The back is in the vertical position, and the Profoto Air remote is hanging from the studio stand.

I use my Alpa cold shoe with a cord bracket (left side), and do not want to add another attachment to my camera body (I like simplicity).
    Lucky for me the CFV50c allows a 3.5 mini jack (second cord out of back) connection to my Air remote to set off the strobes. Piece of cake in the studio!

And the first shot I took with the back ...

Evening at St. Marks NWR
    Alpa Max + SK 72xl @ f/11, 800 ASA + CFV50c

It was pitch black when I was loading my car. It was just me and the alligators!

"Creativity takes courage." ~ Henri Matisse
    Darlene Almeda, photoscapes.com
    Likes 28 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: CFV50c Images

Awesome, awesome, awesome! Thanks for posting, will ask some questions soon...
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you Darr . Very interesting .
    You surely will have to learn working with the different crop factor in comparison to your "old" digital back .
    The higher crop factor is the only reason for me, not to dream of a CFV-50c .
    My wildest dream is a CFV with a CMOS sensorsize of 37x49 and not more pixels .

I wish you a Merry X-Mas and lots of fun with your new toy .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting! Great images and nice to see some shots of the user interface of the back. When it comes to tech cameras this back deserves just as much attention as the IQ250 and Credo 50.

Having recently got the CCD H4D-50 I can say that the plain raw conversion in Phocus is considerably better than in Lightroom. I would expect less of a difference with the CMOS as there's less "black magic" in CMOS conversion, but still it can be worth evaluating carefully before possibly going for a Lightroom-only workflow.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Darlene,

Thanks for sharing images and experience!

Best regards
    Erik

Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    As promised, here are a few sample images. This is not the best time of year to acquire a new digital back and expect to be able to find time for trying it out, but I did get to wander off to a country road yesterday for a couple of quick shots, and I was also able to shoot some lilies in the studio tonight.

I can tell you that I like the back very much, especially the Live View (LV) because I no longer need to carry my ground glass and loupe, and anything that lightens up my bag is a blessing. My eyes are not as good as they use to be and I am wearing bifocals, but I can focus just find with LV alone.

I tried to shoot with different lenses and some shots with movements. An LCC was made for all shots, even for ones I would not normally do. The images were brought into Phocus, an LCC was created and applied, and then the images went directly into Lightroom (LR). I do not have the time to learn Phocus at the moment, so LR is it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Darr,

Thanks for the posting. Nice to see the Live View features!. Looks like Hasselblad has a winner for sure.

I see it's on a Max, have you done any movements yets?

Thanks
    Paul

PS, you do make photography into Art, love the flowers.
    Paul Caldwell
    [email protected]
    www.photosofarkansas.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jotloob View Post
    Thank you Darr . Very interesting .
    You surely will have to learn working with the different crop factor in comparison to your "old" digital back .
    The higher crop factor is the only reason for me, not to dream of a CFV-50c .
    My wildest dream is a CFV with a CMOS sensorsize of 37x49 and not more pixels .

I wish you a Merry X-Mas and lots of fun with your new toy .
    Hey Jürgen,
    I do have to get use to the new crop margins, but a new challenge helps keep the boredom at bay for a while. I understand the crop factor would be an issue for some people, but I really wanted the LV and the price was right. So far I am happy with the back. Now I am looking for a bag to hold the camera with back attached for traveling locally. The LV is that good!

Merry Xmas to you and maybe Santa's workshop is working on the 37x49 CMOS.

Kind regards,
    Darr

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by torger View Post
    Thanks for posting! Great images and nice to see some shots of the user interface of the back. When it comes to tech cameras this back deserves just as much attention as the IQ250 and Credo 50.

Having recently got the CCD H4D-50 I can say that the plain raw conversion in Phocus is considerably better than in Lightroom. I would expect less of a difference with the CMOS as there's less "black magic" in CMOS conversion, but still it can be worth evaluating carefully before possibly going for a Lightroom-only workflow.
    Thank you Anders for the complements and recommendation for Phocus. I will definitely start using it. It does look user friendly enough, especially since I have been using Sigma's SPP with my Foveon files for a while. Congratulations on your new back as well, as I know you were looking to acquire one.

Happy Holidays,
    Darr

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ErikKaffehr View Post
    Hi Darlene,

Thanks for sharing images and experience!

Best regards
    Erik
    Happy Holidays to you Erik!
    Now the hunt for a Hassy classic system will begin after the first of the year. I appreciate all the files you have shared while I was doing my research.

Kind regards,
    Darr

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

ha! been classic hunting as well

i just secured a very nice 205FCC, 110/f2, 40 IF to go with the cfv50c, but am on hiatus for a week to mexico; no cameras going

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post
    Darr,

Thanks for the posting. Nice to see the Live View features!. Looks like Hasselblad has a winner for sure.

I see it's on a Max, have you done any movements yets?

Thanks
    Paul

PS, you do make photography into Art, love the flowers.
    Hi Paul,
    The LV is incredible! I feel like my tech camera just got a set of eyes.
    I do believe Hasselblad has a winner as well. I feel competition in the marketplace may be on the MF shooters side for a change.

I have done movements with the SK 47 and SK 72, and I am happy to say at first glance their LCCs look clean before conversion. I do not do movements with the SK 28xl because it's LCC is very colorful without movements. I love the SK 28xl and bought it to use without movements. When I shot Nikon, I found the 20mm was the lens I used for a lot of landscape and structure shooting and wanted something similar in MF. I had to wait for the lens to become available used and was finally able to buy it from a photographer in Australia.

Thank you for the compliment; it is appreciated.

Kind regards,
    Darr

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post

i just secured a very nice 205FCC, 110/f2, 40 IF to go with the cfv50c, but am on hiatus for a week to mexico; no cameras going
    Congratulations! Hiatus to Mexico for a week sounds really cool too.
    Happy Holidays John!

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I so don't want to read this thread ...

I'm going to have to add one of these to my 503CXi and perhaps even the RZ. The Alpa with this looks like a fun combination and my Rodies should work just fine with it.

I just got a new camera bag so mine will have to wait until the new year but this is on my must-have list for 2015.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

As an owner of a couple of 203FEs and about dozen CF, CFE, FEs, I will be very interested in the report of how well the legacy glass will hold up with the CFV-50c.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Darr,

Thank you very much for posting this…. those white lilies are amazing.

I'm SO glad I kept my 503cx and lenses….. time to start saving.

BTW, where did you order it from…?
    Last edited by Swissblad; 20th December 2014 at 22:55.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

I am using a few CF/CFE/CFi lenses with a P45+ and they do remarkably well, I think. Obviously the CFV-50c is a bit more demanding, as the pixels are smaller than on my P45+.

I have posted a few samples here:
    http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Ar...ernardSamples/

And this is a discussion thread about those images:

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-f...s-samples.html

Best regards
    Erik

Quote Originally Posted by SHV View Post
    As an owner of a couple of 203FEs and about dozen CF, CFE, FEs, I will be very interested in the report of how well the legacy glass will hold up with the CFV-50c.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Congratiulations Darr

I'm sure you are going to enjoy this back for many years to come. Live view is ofcourse a superb feature. I miss live view for tilt/swing scenes, but am pretty ok to work blindly for shift or zeroed comps. However, that little red dot on the screen for exact focusing is....mmmm......tempting...
    Alpa FPS • MAX • TC | Alpagon 32Hr | Helvetar 75 | Schneider 120N | Leaf Aptus II 5 • Leaf Credo 60 | www.danlindberg.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It is tempting as all I would need is a Arca plate and the triggering solution which may be the same.

Does C1 work with the files from the Hasselblad? Or is their Phocus ghe only solution for raw, and how does Phocus work with an LCC?

One can still purchase these from ebay? At the 10k price?

Thanks
    Paul
    Last edited by Paul2660; 21st December 2014 at 05:10.

Post Thanks / Like

This chip is just too fascinating to let the crop factor get in the way. Its really no big deal... For most situations I don't even know its there. I've had instances of high wind where I never could have used my IQ back but with my Leaf I just up the ISO to 400 or 800 and still have a super clean file. Of course, tilt and swing are a breeze!

Happy shooting Darr......

Victor
    Last edited by vjbelle; 21st December 2014 at 08:35.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swissblad View Post
    Hi Darr,

Thank you very much for posting this…. those white lilies are amazing.

I'm SO glad I kept my 503cx and lenses….. time to start saving.

BTW, where did you order it from…?
    I purchased the back from auction seller, breguetcamera and from their Japan location. Read through this thread for additional info.

Thank you for the compliment and Happy Holidays,
    Darr

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post
    It is tempting as all I would need is a Arca plate and the triggering solution which may be the same.

Does C1 work with the files from the Hasselblad? Or is their Phocus ghe only solution for raw, and how does Phocus work with an LCC?

One can still purchase these from ebay? At the 10k price?

Thanks
    Paul
    Hasselblad RAW files are not supported in C1. Creating LCC files is very easy in Phocus. Phocus is license free software and can be downloaded here to see what the UI is like. I do not have a lot of experience using Phocus yet, but did use it for LCC creation.

There are currently two CFV50c backs available through Breguetcamera, but they are not $10k. They are advertised at $13.5k US, but they will accept offers. I did not pay $13.5k, but I paid more than $12k with shipping.

Kind regards,
    Darr

Post Thanks / Like

"There are currently two CFV50c backs available through Breguetcamera,"
    Will there be any "issues" with getting service/repair from HasselbladUSA with a back purchased from Japan? I assume the "Japanese" back has English menu as an option.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

"There are currently two CFV50c backs available through Breguetcamera,"
    Will there be any "issues" with getting service/repair from HasselbladUSA with a back purchased from Japan? I assume the "Japanese" back has English menu as an option.

Steve
    Hi Steve,

The CFV50c comes with a one year warranty from Hasselblad, and you register as owner on Hasselblad's website. My registration went through with no problems with the dealer's name, serial number and registration number. I received confirmation back from Hasselblad that I successfully registered the product. It is not an International Warranty, so if there is a problem it may have to go back to the original dealer. I did call Hasselblad tech support about using my studio strobe remote, and they were very helpful. If you have the concern over the warranty, I would call Hasselblad prior to purchase. B&H Photo sells the CFV50c as well.

The CFV50c's menu system is in English as well as other languages. There was a Xerox copy of a user manual in Japanese in the box, but included in the box is a CD with user manuals in English for the CFV50c and Phocus; a LR plugin; Phocus software and video tutorials. I uploaded a copy of the User Manual (pdf) for someone else, and here is the link if you or anyone else would like to review it.

Kind regards,
    Darr

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    Hi Steve,

The CFV50c comes with a one year warranty from Hasselblad, and you register as owner on Hasselblad's website. My registration went through with no problems with the dealer's name, serial number and registration number. I received confirmation back from Hasselblad that I successfully registered the product. It is not an International Warranty, so if there is a problem it may have to go back to the original dealer. I did call Hasselblad tech support about using my studio strobe remote, and they were very helpful. If you have the concern over the warranty, I would call Hasselblad prior to purchase. B&H Photo sells the CFV50c as well.

The CFV50c's menu system is in English as well as other languages. There was a Xerox copy of a user manual in Japanese in the box, but included in the box is a CD with user manuals in English for the CFV50c and Phocus; a LR plugin; Phocus software and video tutorials. I uploaded a copy of the User Manual (pdf) for someone else, and here is the link if you or anyone else would like to review it.

Kind regards,
    Darr

Thanks....I guess that I will go back to ebay and get up the nerve to make an offer.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Darr,
    Thanks again for posting your impressions. I'm really impressed, both with your photographs and also the performance your report of the back!
    I'm intrigued about the performance of the lenses you use. I have a Rodenstock 55mm APO-Sironar Digital lens that I'd like to use as a standard lens on this back, but no one has been able to confirm the performance of it paired with the CMOS chip. If your 47mm XL is doing well, I can only assume the 55mm will do okay too. By any chance, are you able to post a series of LCC shots to demonstrate the colour cast etc at various movements with your 47mm? I guess I'm asking because I'm going off reviews by Guy etc that state that 12mm on surmise that the practical limit for movements with this back. It'd be great if you could confirm that with a different set of lenses.
    In the meantime, I'll have to dream big about buying this back. As they say, timing is everything and in this instance I'm sorry to say my timing is off :-(

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tjv View Post
    Hi Darr,
    Thanks again for posting your impressions. I'm really impressed, both with your photographs and also the performance your report of the back!
    I'm intrigued about the performance of the lenses you use. I have a Rodenstock 55mm APO-Sironar Digital lens that I'd like to use as a standard lens on this back, but no one has been able to confirm the performance of it paired with the CMOS chip. If your 47mm XL is doing well, I can only assume the 55mm will do okay too. By any chance, are you able to post a series of LCC shots to demonstrate the colour cast etc at various movements with your 47mm? I guess I'm asking because I'm going off reviews by Guy etc that state that 12mm on surmise that the practical limit for movements with this back. It'd be great if you could confirm that with a different set of lenses.
    In the meantime, I'll have to dream big about buying this back. As they say, timing is everything and in this instance I'm sorry to say my timing is off :-(
    I have a shoot scheduled at the railroad depot in town this week. There is a unique brick wall there that I will try and setup shooting my 47xl with incremental movements in all directions and post the LCCs here. It is weather permitting, but I will try to do it. I cannot comment on any Rodenstock lenses. I did use them for many years when I shot 4x5", but made the switch to SK mainly due to compactness when I made the digital transition. Different strokes for different folks.
    Last edited by darr; 21st December 2014 at 12:21.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tjv View Post
    ... As they say, timing is everything and in this instance I'm sorry to say my timing is off :-(
    Have patience because I feel MF is about to have a price change for the consumer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Darr, one last question, does the chip have the same ratio 1:3 as the IQ or Credo version or is cropped to a square size like the older Hasselbald's? Edit, It appears to be the same.

If I can get over the loss of C1 support, this does appear attractive indeed.

If it's the same as the Credo 50 in chip size, then the value prop is hard to not consider, @ 15,500 US currently at B&H.

Many thanks again for the shots and feedback on live view.

Paul
    Paul Caldwell
    [email protected]
    www.photosofarkansas.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks....I guess that I will go back to ebay and get up the nerve to make an offer.

Steve
    Well, my offers in the low-mid $12s were rejected.

Steve

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Realistically if demand has been high, it's already discounted against US prices, you only have a couple left and there are people still making offers, then you're likely to hold out for your listing price.

At $13,500 I'd actually probably pay the extra for a U.S. dealer sourced back and remove any warranty issues. If the international warranty applies then this would be less of a concern but even premium Phase One backs I've owned have required support at some point.

If you've saved yourself a significant amount then I think that you're essentially self-insured against the worries of international support to certain degree.
    Last edited by GrahamWelland; 21st December 2014 at 15:12. Reason: Stupid iPhone spull chocker
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

"If you've saved yourself a significant amount then I think that you're essentially self-insured against the worries of international support to certain degree."
    I figured, if they accepted $3k under US list , that would self-insure. I've had a CFV-16 for about 10 years and except for a repair of a loose battery contact pin, it has been "bullet proof".

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

You may need a small modification to the circuitry of the 205 to use it with a CFV back. Get in touch with Hasselblad in New Jersey who should be able to tell you more.
    Classic V, support for Hasselblad V system cameras.
    www.classicv.co.uk

Post Thanks / Like

May I ask.
    Is the CFV50c have the same mounting system to 500V.body like the previous CFV?

Best Regards,
    Sunchai.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sunchai View Post
    May I ask.
    Is the CFV50c have the same mounting system to 500V.body like the previous CFV?

Best Regards,
    Sunchai.

YES . You can mount that back to any 500C series camera as well as to 2000/200 series and all V-Mount adapters . It has the V-Mount .

Merry X-mas to you . P.S Can't find the Santa Claus icon .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jotloob View Post
    YES . You can mount that back to any 500C series camera as well as to 2000/200 series and all V-Mount adapters . It has the V-Mount .

Merry X-mas to you . P.S Can't find the Santa Claus icon .
    Hi, thank,
    so still no portrait mount like the one you have. then I have some hope for smart Flex-L plate.
    Merry X-mas and may Gold bless you and your family.
    Sunchai.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Santa Claus promised me to bring me a CFV-50c back next year .
    Good to know , because every good boy deserves a favour .Attachment 85002

Merry X-MAS and a Happy New Year to all getdpi friends .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Fairbank View Post
    You may need a small modification to the circuitry of the 205 to use it with a CFV back. Get in touch with Hasselblad in New Jersey who should be able to tell you more.
    An unmodified 203/205 will work with the digital back but will require the external wire cord. Modification by HB will allow it to work without the cord but eliminates the communication from the film back to the body. Not a major problem.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

An unmodified 203/205 will work with the digital back but will require the external wire cord. Modification by HB will allow it to work without the cord but eliminates the communication from the film back to the body. Not a major problem.

Steve
    Additional :
    My understanding is , that the unmodified body can only use C , CF and CFE lenses with their leaf shutters (C-mode) and a modified body can also use the F and FE lenses , but then uses the bodies focal plane shutter .
    If you don't use or have F/FE lenses , you don't need the modification .
    Regards . Jürgen .

Post Thanks / Like

This is one of the most exciting things I have seen all year.
    Thank you for sharing Georgia. As a tech cam user I would be interested to see how this handles movements.
    Stop chasing gear, start chasing photos instead.

Jeff, but my friends call me Dogs

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dogs,
    You should have said Thank you for sharing, Darlene Almeda.
    Anyway, you made me laugh.

Happy New Year,

Steve.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dogs857 View Post
    This is one of the most exciting things I have seen all year.
    Thank you for sharing Georgia. As a tech cam user I would be interested to see how this handles movements.

You are welcome Dogs. I do like your name as I have three dogs.
    I admire Georgia for her work, but my mother named me Darlene as Steve has pointed out, but Darr will do as well.

Movements ... the cemetery photo has x and y movements. I did plan on shooting a brick wall with the 47mm for tjv, but Tallahassee got three days of continuous rain (and flooding) last week when I planned on doing it, so it did not happen. I will get to it as soon as I can. Until then, Happy New Year!

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

with a bit o'luck, i may be able to snap a few images with my 205FCC/CFV50c rig today! been quite hectic
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

110, f8

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

40/f8

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

another 40/f8

Post Thanks / Like

So how much does one "leave on the table" by using a high res state of the art CMOS back with 50+ years old Hasselblad lens? (vs. using it with a techcam and latest digital lens)

Not that I can afford this, even with the "low" pricing, but one can dream right? :-)

Post Thanks / Like

I'm looking forward to hearing some real world accounts of tech movement performance with regards to colour cast etc. I've done the maths and the max I need is 12-14mm rise/fall, sometimes 6mm rise/fall plus upto 6mm shift.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Darlene, that will teach me to read signatures properly

Happy New Year
    Stop chasing gear, start chasing photos instead.

Jeff, but my friends call me Dogs

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

got out a bit, low temps in NYC!
    110/f11; shot holding sideways (curse of the V) from my sunroof, standing on the seat

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

another from around the navy yard, 110, hand held