The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

suggestions needed!

danlindberg

I've written to YaYa so I will get help, but I'm a little short on time (flying to Sweden Tuesday morning) and thought that the collective problemsolving people here might suggest something that I oversee.

I did a series of 5 long exposures (40-50 seconds each), going at it as soon as the back was ready. All fine.

The 6th turned up currupted. Ok, I thought that maybe I was stressing it without letting it cool down. So I waited a few minutes but same result. I realised it must be something else so I went home and I have tried a few things without getting a healthy capture.

I changed to a fully charged battery.
I changed to another CF card and formatted in back.
I changed lens.
No good.

I changed to wakeup cable and changed from zero latency to normal. No good.

I tried the FPS instead and tried yet another CF card. No good.

I have firmware 2.03.3 and the back has 6000 exposures and I have never ever had a single issue!

My logic says it is the CF card, but I have put in three different ones and formatted all. Same result.

What could this be?

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Dan

I have experienced very similar looking issues caused by a sync error .
But I never used such long exposure times . I think , it is worth checking for that anyway . Just my 2 cents .:)

danlindberg

Thanks Jurgen, but I have tried several exposure times, up to 1/125 and I have tried all iso settings.
Unfortunately same result!

Paul2660

Sure looks like sync, but you have tried replacing all the cables.

Do you have a 645 body you could put the back on, even though you tried the FPS, it would eliminate pretty much everything but the back itself.

Sorry to see the problem and hope it gets resolved quickly.

Paul

vjbelle

I also had the same issue caused by a bad cable. I have that cable marked as 'bad' and can re-attach it on occasion and repeat the same problem. For sure I would replace all cables from the lens to the back.

Victor

danlindberg

No, I do not have a 645 body.

Unfortunately I doubt that it is a particular cable.

I obviously used my normal one, zero latency, when it happened first time.
I changed to the two-piece wakeup cable for standard tech bodies.
I changed to FPS with its own two-piece cable.

All three variants gives me the same currupted file. :(

Tried three different CF cards, each time formatted in back.
Updated firmware yesterday to latest 3.0 without issue.
Tried exposure times between 2s-1/125.
Tried various iso settings.

Still no clean file.......this is a little worrying...

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

Did you try "Restore to default" on the back? It's on page 79 of the Credo manuals. Removing battery for a minute may also cure some problems.

Just a few ideas…

On the other hand, checking your image the third time I start think about the CF card.

Have you tried some tethered shooting? That should not involve the CF card.

Best regards
Erik

No, I do not have a 645 body.

Unfortunately I doubt that it is a particular cable.

I obviously used my normal one, zero latency, when it happened first time.
I changed to the two-piece wakeup cable for standard tech bodies.
I changed to FPS with its own two-piece cable.

All three variants gives me the same currupted file. :(

Tried three different CF cards, each time formatted in back.
Updated firmware yesterday to latest 3.0 without issue.
Tried exposure times between 2s-1/125.
Tried various iso settings.

Still no clean file.......this is a little worrying...

danlindberg

Thanks for the suggestion Erik, no I hadn't tried restore to default. But I just did, and also took out the battery for a couple of minutes.

Same bad result.

Dan,

If the black lines appear in the same exact position each time you capture a frame I'd say, with all your trials and firmware replacement, that you've narrowed down the problem to a faulty back with a damaged sensor or associated circuitry.

Yair should know, I'd send him a PM if you haven't already done so...

Jamgolf

Dan

Are you formatting the cards on a computer or on the DB itself? Might be worth a try to do it the opposite way.
Also, have you changed any user settings on the back recently?

FWIW, I've seen this type of behavior on a Pentax 645D when using a memory card that wasn't officially "supported". I had to revert to older/slower cards to eliminate the problem.

This type of problem could be indicative of buffer overflow/underflow due to the read/write speed mismatch between memory card and the buffer. Typically a producer/consumer problem.

-Jawad

danlindberg

I have not done anything unusual and it has worked reliably and without hickups since new, so this has come from nowhere.
Anyway, thanks for input! I have put it in the safe for now, because now the time is up trying to fix it, leaving for Sweden tomorrow. Maybe it needs a holiday too :)

Merry x-mas!